Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    For the amount of rebooting I do, which is generally on an average of less than 1 times per week, it doesn't bother me that much. I do agree it could be faster, but in my case, a mild annoyance and I can live with it.
    After having installed some patches, I was getting scared they affect my boot time. I guess it's normal. Although annoying (the boot time), know it's normal puts my mind to rest.
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Well, SFR's Pre2 pre-announcement said that boot times would be reduced with 2.0 - but seriously, I too restart maybe once a week... and make myself a sandwich while it's booting. When I come back, I have food AND a freshly booted phone. Not very problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I too restart maybe once a week... and make myself a sandwich while it's booting. When I come back, I have food AND a freshly booted phone.
    Genius.
    I don't reboot my phone enough to care frankly.
  6.    #66  
    Wow an old thread of my mine being "rebooted". Forgive the pun. I know many of you don't reboot your phone very often or find this issue somewhere in the middle or bottom of your "what I want from webOS" list. A regular consumer though is annoyed by 5 minute boot times. I hear this complaint from other Pre users I see around town especially when their friends iphone boots up in 30 seconds to a minute. There are definitely more important improvements needed but boot time is something that will make the phone more usuable to the consumer. If you have to make an important call or send an email but the phone freezes, you shouldn't have to wait 5 minutes for a mobile OS to boot up.
    Whats wrong with a long boot time? its less than 2 minutes out of your day. How many people reboot and actually sit there staring at it, tapping there fingers on the desk in anticipation? Im sure you can find something else to do for a couple minutes.
    Lol..... Is this even a REAL issue anymore??? I hardly ever re-booted before. Now I have an automatic re-booter, just in case it actually does something beneficial...happens at 4AM every day so I don't even notice. Haven't had a lockup in God knows how long. Pretty much the only time I do it on purpose is to show off a new boot logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    ...Pretty much the only time I do it on purpose is to show off a new boot logo.
    And even then, all you have to do is a luna restart which only takes half the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Lol..... Is this even a REAL issue anymore??? I hardly ever re-booted before. Now I have an automatic re-booter, just in case it actually does something beneficial...happens at 4AM every day so I don't even notice. Haven't had a lockup in God knows how long. Pretty much the only time I do it on purpose is to show off a new boot logo.
    Boot logo's only appear after the system has gone into the luna start-up, if you want to show off your boot screen just restart luna, time saver.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    ah there ya go didn't even think about that kinda brings me back to the redundancy of boot up time with scheduled boot ups. I suppose after a battery swap, I could see it being irritating, but for me...animated backgrounds, top bar animations, my mp3 during the day(6-8 hours worth), popping up here & there on the web, my phone's plugged in most of the day and really is a non-issue.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

takes notes Hpalm take fing notes..
    I have seen EVO 4G boot up within 1.5 minutes. It takes my Verizon Palm Pre Plus at least 6-7 minutes to boot up from a cold start!! I usually swap batteries. I don't want to hot swap batteries because one time I did not do it fast enough and it cause some of my data to get corrupted. Fortunately, webOS somehow had a backup and restore some of my corrupted data. Anyhow, faster boot time is still welcomed.
    What's wrong with the boot time is when you are out in a public place trying to show something to someone and the phone locks up. It's bad enough that it locked up, now you and others are waiting for a long period of time for it to reboot. Not to mention the battery drain that seems to accompany a reboot. For me it is only an issue when I am out and about. If I'm at home, I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    What's wrong with the boot time is when you are out in a public place trying to show something to someone and the phone locks up. It's bad enough that it locked up, now you and others are waiting for a long period of time for it to reboot. Not to mention the battery drain that seems to accompany a reboot. For me it is only an issue when I am out and about. If I'm at home, I don't care.
    I have never had my phone lock up on me where I needed to reboot when showing it off. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe my phone is just a miracle. LOL
    Palm needs to reduce boot times for the Pre. Poor reception at work and constant emails mean my phone only lasts half a day. I've invested in an extra battery to fix the battery life issue but waiting those 5-7 minutes for the phone to restart is terrible.

EDIT:
    Lol, that happened to me over the weekend. I wanted to show someone Modern Combat:Sandstorm but my phone locked up while trying to load the game. I rebooted the Pre but it was taking too long so I holstered it and started to talk about fantasy football instead.
    Last edited by deduce; 10/12/2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Try doing something else to take your mind off how long it takes your phone to reboot when at work...like work! LOL!

Mine seems to only take about 3 minutes or less when I've had to change batteries. Or maybe I just occupy my mind and it just seems shorter.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post

takes notes Hpalm take fing notes..
    Note however app loading times are said to be extremely long on WP7, with Engadget noting that some guys took 3 minutes until ready to play. App loading wasn't shown during the presentation earlier this week either as far as I'm aware.
    This sort of behaviour won't come as any surprise to Zune HD owners, such as myself. The device boots in seconds but apps do take quite some time to load up.

Not that Palm shouldn't try to improve boot time, or that WP7's boot time isn't impressive. Just thought it should be mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I have never had my phone lock up on me where I needed to reboot when showing it off. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe my phone is just a miracle. LOL
    IDK, I have a Sprint Pre and seem to have issues if messing with a game and other apps at the same time. was going to show a friend that I could have Angry Birds open while downloading a youtube vide of how to get 3 stars on a level and everything slowed to a crawl. Never quite recovered from being ultra laggy until a reboot was done. It's happened at other times too without games running. I still think the culprit is the 256MB of ram and think Palm should have been using 512MB from day one.
    I have a Sprint Pre and seem to have issues if messing with a game and other apps at the same time.
    I don't run Preware and even when I playing a game with other apps open or in use (I use a lot of by GPS type apps and play games while riding with DH on trips) and having a call never had mine slow or crash. I also have a Sprint Pre.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast