Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I assuming adding patches considerable extend the booting time...It takes my Verizon Palm Pre Plus about 5 min 40 sec to restart from the a cold reboot (e.g. swapping battery...shutdown...takes about 30 seconds...swap battery, push power button...wait over 5.5 minutes before I can use the Pre)...Have only half a dozen patches...
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Phones are/should be, rebooted more frequently then that...if you've been lucky, good for you, but just because you're not having the problem doesn't mean others aren't...
    Why? I've only ever rebooted mine around 5 time since I got it and everything works fine - games play fine and apps work quickly etc. What would this achieve?

I've not used any patches ever and just used standard (not homebrew) apps, so this may be why I don't need to. I also don't get the too many cards error so may just be lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKer View Post
    Why? I've only ever rebooted mine around 5 time since I got it and everything works fine - games play fine and apps work quickly etc. What would this achieve?

I've not used any patches ever and just used standard (not homebrew) apps, so this may be why I don't need to. I also don't get the too many cards error so may just be lucky!
    Even if you feel that you or anyone else would not need to reset their phones often it does not preclude the fact that when its necessary it takes far to long. Imagine this scenario: your phones freezes (this happens with any electronic device) and you have no choice but to pull the battery. If it takes 2-4 minutes (which seems the range of time it takes most Pre users) what happens if you need to make an emergency call at that moment or someone is trying to get in contact with you. To me that is a problem and highlighted more so because there are almost no phones out there that take much more than 1 minute to reboot.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    It seems that the only time I really notice the re-boot time is when I'm on the phone with Sprint for an issue and we have to re-boot. I've had Sprint reps have to leave and call me back once the reboot starts so they can help other people rather than just waiting on the line with a Pre customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No. At least on Southwest Airlines, they SPECIFICALLY state that the phone MUST be powered down during takeoffs and landings.
    Putting in airplane mode and turning the screen off should cover that, I would think. That's what I always do and I've flown on Southwest fairly often......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    I assuming adding patches considerable extend the booting time...It takes my Verizon Palm Pre Plus about 5 min 40 sec to restart from the a cold reboot (e.g. swapping battery...shutdown...takes about 30 seconds...swap battery, push power button...wait over 5.5 minutes before I can use the Pre)...Have only half a dozen patches...
    This. The more patches i had the longer the reboot. Mine would hit 5 minutes easy. VERY annoying when it would happen.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Putting in airplane mode and turning the screen off should cover that, I would think. That's what I always do and I've flown on Southwest fairly often......
    When they say "off" they mean "airplane mode" for us. They don't say "airplane mode" because that would just confuse the other 80% or so of the passengers who don't have smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No, they don't physically check, and I didn't see anyone actually shutting their phone off, but you are required to do so. They specifically tell you it must be powered down, not just in airplane mode, prior to take off.

You know, some people actually do follow the rules, just in case. Go figure...
    Some people follow the rules, other people are using their devices within 30 seconds of landing. Take your pick which you want to do.
    Lol derailed to powered down or airplane mode.

If you watch mythbusters they delve into this a little bit.
    Its not that they know phones will cause problems they just prefer that something doesnt happen. So its not even a proven fact that having a cell phone on will cause problems.

I dont see whats the difference between airplane mode and powered down. Its the Radio from your cellphone that they care about.

And back on topic. I dont think the boot time is all that bad being a previous BB and Iphone user its about the same if not a little shorter.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Even if you feel that you or anyone else would not need to reset their phones often it does not preclude the fact that when its necessary it takes far to long.
    Well said my friend.

Sometimes I wonder what these people are thinking. You PAID for a phone and it takes forever to reboot. Instead of highlighting this as a concern they say "no one ever needs to reboot". You are the consumer here and the product you bought has a legitimate problem. Instead of being unhappy with the product you are singing its praises. Baffles my mind.

The only thing that is good about the Pre is the multi tasking interface, gestures and all the patches. No other phone on the market today can beat that.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Or one could say that you bought a phone that takes 3-5 minutes to boot. Live with it.

I don't recall reading anywhere in the Palm literature that they guarantee a fast boot time.

In regards to airplane mode. Come on, most users don't get it and think airplane mode means silent. For a long time many airlines used the airplane mode selection in talking about cell phones but no-one followed it. Now they just say off because it is not confusing. Off = Off
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by crewdude View Post
    I can't have my phone on during work, and have to power it down and lock it up in a locker. If i were just to silence it and put it in the locker, the battery would be dead by the time I was finished with work. It is annoying to wait several minutes for the phone to boot when i get out of work. Palm should focus on significantly speeding up both boot time and the phone app launch time. What happens if there were an emergency and you needed to call for help. Oh wait, don't do anything yet, I have to wait till my phone boots to call 911.
    Put it in airplane mode and put it in your locker.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Put it in airplane mode and put it in your locker.
    For a lot of people this won't be an option. For people working with any type of confidential information (which covers a vast amount of professions!) for example, there are usually very strict rules about having the phone turned completely off at all times, even if it is in a locker.
    Looks like Android got a hibernate mode

What would it taken to do something similar on the Pre?

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Looks like Android got a hibernate mode
    If this is like hibernate on Windows it won't really help as everything that was running prior to hibernation is still running when it comes back up.

-al
    the palm pre only really needs to be restarted when installing patches, and even then it doesnt completely restart the phone, it just restarts the gui ( graphical user interface for all u noobs out there thats what *Luna* is) and my roomates rim bberry bold 9700 takes just as long to boot, the iphone 3gs takes 2 mins longer than my pre to boot... dont just whine and complain, ask around for help and you shall get it!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKer View Post

ive probly rebooted mine about a dozen times, (thats a complete restart btw) i use loads of patches and homebrew apps, and have only ever gotten the too many cards error ONCE, and thats uz there was legitimatly too many cards ( i think i had about 18 or so was testing how many i could run)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp1 View Post
    There are enough issues with the pre, boot up time is not very good but how often is a person rebooting? Once or twice a week? I'd rather see resources spent on other things.
    I reboot 2-3 times a day due to battery switching or random frezes.
    I reboot maybe every week or two and it only takes me about four minutes and I have 45 patches, F105 Kernel, 20 Apps a theme and various other things. I only have to reboot due to updates or patches requiring so, or if I have to swap batteries. Swapping batteries is rare for me though. Anyway, yes the boot time is long and it sucks but you didn't buy the phone to boot up in less than a minute did you? Most likely not, you bought the phone because you loved Palm, you saw how amazing the OS was, or you just bought it randomly.

Should they make it boot faster? Sure. Will they? Most likely not.

I would much rather have my phone be able to handle anything I throw at it during the day than seeing my phone reboot in 30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Should they make it boot faster? Sure. Will they? Most likely not.

I would much rather have my phone be able to handle anything I throw at it during the day than seeing my phone reboot in 30 seconds.
    Very well said.

I'd rather have my phone boot in say 4 minutes once a week, than to have it boot in 30 seconds 3 times a day...

But that's just me though.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast