Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I disagree with the OP. I'd much rather palm dedicate resources to making it so the phone needs to be rebooted less, rather than work on boot time.
    +90000.

It's depressing to fiddle with an iPod Touch or iPhone 3GS at Best Buy, see 20 3D games loaded on it, and be able to start and exit from them pretty much at will and nearly instantaneous. Then, I pull out my Pre and watch all the memory get eaten up by one 3D game demo so that I have to restart when I have no other apps open.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    it takes me 3 minutes and 40 seconds to reboot and 1 minute 20 seconds for a luna. I just times them and that is ridiculous.
    yeah i just timed mine and it took 3 min and 20 seconds. and i just doctored my phone yesterday so its basically a fresh start. i remember timing it when i had 1.3.5 and it was under 2 mins.

before doctoring it took 4 mins and 53 seconds but I had a bunch of patches installed.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Alright, clearly the perfect solution isn't to dedicate tons of resources into making the device boot faster. The *real* solution would be... wait for it... boot-time games! Waiting for your Pre to boot up would be far less agonizing if you could play centipede or something while it boots up!

- Phil -

(Note: this reply is purely a mix of sarcasm/seriousness)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Alright, clearly the perfect solution isn't to dedicate tons of resources into making the device boot faster. The *real* solution would be... wait for it... boot-time games! Waiting for your Pre to boot up would be far less agonizing if you could play centipede or something while it boots up!

- Phil -

WebOS Geometry Wars, anyone?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post

- Phil -

Well, GRUB does support booting games...
    I reset my phone & timed it from the moment the black screen with the small loading ball until the quickbar & everything loaded up. It took 3m50s. It would have been even longer (about 4m10s) because it took a while for the black screen with the loading ball to appear after I pressed "Reset Device".

The load time is just absurd.
    Follow Me On

Coming from a blackberry i don't mind at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    My blackberry bold has the loading progress at the bottom so I know how long it take.

palm should make the boot screen with the progress image like installing updates does.
    That's not enough. Get rid of the boot screen altogether. I want to see scrolling lines of text as the boot up proceeds and the phone loads its drivers. These machines are computers now, their makers should stop pretending that they are appliances.

I travel on planes (sometimes trains and automobiles too) and have to shut down my phone during takeoff and landing. EVERYONE else around me who turns on their phones (iPhones and BBs) are using their phones within 30 seconds. It takes my phone AT LEAST 2 minutes...probably 3 or more to become ready.

I would like to see a way to reduce that.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Preset Reset, an application by Jason R, will reboot the phone on a schedule. I reboot mine when my alarm goes off in the morning.

It is then as fresh for the day as I am (well, once I shower).
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I travel on planes (sometimes trains and automobiles too) and have to shut down my phone during takeoff and landing. EVERYONE else around me who turns on their phones (iPhones and BBs) are using their phones within 30 seconds. It takes my phone AT LEAST 2 minutes...probably 3 or more to become ready.

I would like to see a way to reduce that.
    They won't let you get by with airplane mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    They won't let you get by with airplane mode?
    No. At least on Southwest Airlines, they SPECIFICALLY state that the phone MUST be powered down during takeoffs and landings.
    I timed mine. It took 3 min 40 seconds to reboot!!!! *** smoker?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Rockbeast -

Airplane Mode! And dont tell me that they come around and check that you physically turn off the phone because they dont (and yes I travel for business all the time).
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No. At least on Southwest Airlines, they SPECIFICALLY state that the phone MUST be powered down during takeoffs and landings.
    They just say that to cover their butts.....ive always used airplane mode and no complaints
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Rockbeast -

Airplane Mode! And dont tell me that they come around and check that you physically turn off the phone because they dont (and yes I travel for business all the time).
    No, they don't physically check, and I didn't see anyone actually shutting their phone off, but you are required to do so. They specifically tell you it must be powered down, not just in airplane mode, prior to take off.

You know, some people actually do follow the rules, just in case. Go figure...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I disagree with the OP. I'd much rather palm dedicate resources to making it so the phone needs to be rebooted less, rather than work on boot time.
    I can't have my phone on during work, and have to power it down and lock it up in a locker. If i were just to silence it and put it in the locker, the battery would be dead by the time I was finished with work. It is annoying to wait several minutes for the phone to boot when i get out of work. Palm should focus on significantly speeding up both boot time and the phone app launch time. What happens if there were an emergency and you needed to call for help. Oh wait, don't do anything yet, I have to wait till my phone boots to call 911.
    For as much as plane tickets cost, I will keep in airplane mode. If the airline said jump off a bridge, would you? Airlines have the worst customer service and treat you like crap. Freakin' monopoly.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Totally agree with OP. Palm doesn't understand the issue. Its a big issue. Especially you are on a call, an important call, suddenly , the phone shuts down, BOOM. The other party doesn't get it. Then you patiently wait for three minutes for the phone to boot up. You try to call back , but its too late. It is a big deal depending on your experience. Folks who experienced such situations would know it. It happened to me few times since launch day.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast