Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    For those who can't decide on whether or not to get the Palm Pre I bring you this... I tried numerous smartphones to replace my iPhone. I've been using smartphones for 5+ years and have had/tried them all (WinMo, Blackberry, Android, iPhone, no Symbian though). I came to this forum before I got the Pre and was slightly concerned. I still went out on a limb and got the Pre. I must say, I am mighty impressed. The rants you read on these forums may scare you away but remember this is a microcosm of Pre users. I've loved the device and have had none of the issues people claim on here. Yea battery life sucks on all smartphones that you play with all day, but I haven't noticed an issue. Just be smart about your usage. The Touchstone charger, while at first I thought gimmicky, is something I won't be able to live without in future phones. So if you're on the fence, just get it and give it a try, you'll be mighty impressed. I think a lot of the problems you read on here are from people who are doing massive customization, are new to smartphones, or just have original hardware from the first batch. Just trying to pipe in some optimism and positiveness into this forum.
    Sticky this thread!
    good read man
    I agree!
    Glad u like the phone...
    The Pre, to me, is the ultimate YMMV device. Sometimes I can recommend it, and sometimes I cannot, but I always tell people to go try one in a store for themselves.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There are two issues holding me back at the moment

1) I don't like the hardware

and

2) I'm not sure I'm buying into an ecosystem that will still exist in 18 months beyond hobbyists.

If I saw webOS on a device that I would actually like to carry around and where I had confidence in the QA processes that Palm have I'd pick it up in a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There are two issues holding me back at the moment

1) I don't like the hardware

and

2) I'm not sure I'm buying into an ecosystem that will still exist in 18 months beyond hobbyists.

If I saw webOS on a device that I would actually like to carry around and where I had confidence in the QA processes that Palm have I'd pick it up in a shot.
    1. Take a shot. The devices are like lottery tickets, and if you're not lucky...just return it.
    2. I have the same concern, but haven't "needed" to buy an app yet, so it's no big deal. I'd love to buy some 3D games, but as soon as I tried two of the Gameloft "free" ones and had to reboot before and after opening each one for the first time, I decided they weren't worth the effort.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    1. Take a shot. The devices are like lottery tickets, and if you're not lucky...just return it.
    2. I have the same concern, but haven't "needed" to buy an app yet, so it's no big deal. I'd love to buy some 3D games, but as soon as I tried two of the Gameloft "free" ones and had to reboot before and after opening each one for the first time, I decided they weren't worth the effort.
    But... I would have to switch over to O2 for a 18 month or longer contract (I am in the UK), I currently have a very good orange contract with 30 days notice. Sure I could swap out the phone but if the pre is a lemon then I'm stuck with the contract.

The bigger problem is that I don't like the hardware, I have handled the Pre a number of times and it just feels cheap and nasty to me. If they got something out that felt like a high-end phone I'd be more interested.
    Definitely wait, then. It's an awesome OS, but Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone 7 aren't standing still. The new Windows Phone 7 apps shown at Engadget today look amazing.
    +1 to the OP and thank you for this post. Way to many ppl are patching and tweeking their phones lately before the get to know the phone, then they come into the forums screaming about problems that could have easily been avoided or easily fixed.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I'm also seriously considering giving up my faithfull Treo for a Pre Plus. But several sources - including an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer (not the National Enquirer) - are questioning Palm's ability to survive over the next year or two. What happens to the Pre if Palm goes belly up - assuming no one buys them?
    for those in the UK at least, i general discourage buying the pre..
    its too immature, when webos 2.0 arrives i think then it might be worth it.....till then considering the phones that we're used to, its not worth it.....plus its not cheaper than the iphone...which is more mature.....and you can get the HD2 for about the same price, the n97 is cheaper, blackberries and cheap....etc.

sad but true...stiff competition and none of the standard stuff yet (msn support) blah blah blah......ki$ha
    I've had my pre for about a month now (sprint, not plus from vzn) and I absolutely love it.

That being said, it's not that I love "every" aspect of the device. Of course there are some things I wish were different, but all and all I love how the phone handles multitasking with ease (wouldn't say 'flawlessly') and most of all, it's absolutely easy to get used to! When I got a Pre for myself, my boyfriend got HTC hero at the same time: upon opening, I noticed pre came with like, 10 page little "how to do certain gesture on the phone" versus, his hero came with this big "book" manual. Why? Because webos is very "intuitive" - you just "get it" immediately.

I admit, I did want an iphone for a while as well - and I'll also admit that the reason being "because it's iphone!". One thing I admit that I'm still "jealous" about iphone is that it has (at least by "my" standard) the best, or at least one of the better built-in mp3 players (hello ipod!), but that's about all there is to it. And then of course there is my (still old but still working decent) ipod video that I've had for years. And we all know how often I use that sucker (not very often - sarcasm does not translate well in text form). I realize, you know, I have streaming music, (I still haven't quite figured out which I like better, Pandora or Slacker Radio) and that suits me pretty well.

One big drawback about Pre, really upon deciding and even after purchasing it, was what I call its Fisher-Priceness. I mean, how light and plasticky it felt. I wouldn't doubt it that the reason being, and some people even prefer, the slick looks of pre and its lightweight feel - but really when I look for gadget-y things, I personally prefer it having slight weight to it, something more substantial on my hands. And I must admit, having the touchstone back did take care of this problem tremendously. It added just enough weight to the device for my liking, and it actually "looks" better than it did when it was completely shiney and black up and down and left and right. (Even upon deciding that I wanted webos device, I almost leaned toward pixi purely based on its weight and look. But ended up with pre because, I simply liked it better for hardware specs, had to swallow my pride and had to get the "fisher price").

And there goes my rant.

But here's really what it comes down to - different folks, different strokes. Not everyone likes the same thing, and nowadays (without going specifics) different phones all do whole lot of things, and (generally speaking) some may do better than the other in "some" aspects. I really don't think there is such things as "THE BEST" phone out there. It's all about relativity, it's all about what YOU like. The only shame is that new palm phones don't seem to get as much attention and "push" from phone salesmen, but at the same time, do you really want to make decisions purely on what some sales clerk says? After all, they were trained to sell, they're not exactly "experts" in terms of technologies and such. I'm just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    for those in the UK at least, i general discourage buying the pre..
    its too immature, when webos 2.0 arrives i think then it might be worth it.....till then considering the phones that we're used to, its not worth it.....plus its not cheaper than the iphone...which is more mature.....and you can get the HD2 for about the same price, the n97 is cheaper, blackberries and cheap....etc.

sad but true...stiff competition and none of the standard stuff yet (msn support) blah blah blah......ki$ha
    Are you serious? So "none of the standard stuff" means "msn messenger"? I have all the "non-standard stuff" in my Pre since day one: GMail, GCalendar, GContacts, Exchange, Facebook,...

Patch your phone, dude, and you will have "all the standard stuff" in your phone.

Sorry, but you don't have idea what you're talking about.
    I upgraded from a 755P and other than some double typing, I do not have the issues discussed in this forum. I have not patched yet. The double typing was fixed with a new device which smokes. This is a great phone/operating system. I agree you generally only hear the complaints in this forum. As far as purchasing an operating system that will be a niche product soon, they have been saying Palm was going bankrupt for years now. It has not happpened yet but their margin for error is shrinking fast. Let's hope they can increase market share so we can continue to enjoy this product.

By the way I was in a mall this weekend and for the 1+ hours I was there they were playing Pre+ commercials on the flat screen TV's throughout the mall.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by edrubins View Post
    I'm also seriously considering giving up my faithfull Treo for a Pre Plus. But several sources - including an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer (not the National Enquirer) - are questioning Palm's ability to survive over the next year or two. What happens to the Pre if Palm goes belly up - assuming no one buys them?
    Assuming that you have had your Treo for a while, you will have heard the same doom and gloom predictions many times before. Why is this time any different? In fact they have more going for them this time with all of the potential of WebOS.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/15/2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Well Palm has their earnings release on Thursday, so I think we'll know where Palm stands. I don't see them going under in a year. The Pre/Pixi are both hitting AT&T later this year which may sway a percentage of iPhone users tired of locked down Apple. Currently, AT&T's iPhone alternative in smartphones just plain SUCK (Seriously, the Backflip???). Thursday's earnings call will be telling...
    Quote Originally Posted by daving313 View Post
    Well Palm has their earnings release on Thursday, so I think we'll know where Palm stands. I don't see them going under in a year. The Pre/Pixi are both hitting AT&T later this year which may sway a percentage of iPhone users tired of locked down Apple. Currently, AT&T's iPhone alternative in smartphones just plain SUCK (Seriously, the Backflip???). Thursday's earnings call will be telling...
    I predict much wailing and gnashing of teeth following Palm's update on Thursday, in spite of the fact that they've already given us a hint of what's to come (more than a hint, actually). Nobody (including the press and analysts) should be surprised, but they'll sure talk like they are.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Are you serious? So "none of the standard stuff" means "msn messenger"? I have all the "non-standard stuff" in my Pre since day one: GMail, GCalendar, GContacts, Exchange, Facebook,...

Patch your phone, dude, and you will have "all the standard stuff" in your phone.

Sorry, but you don't have idea what you're talking about.
    so where is msn?!! Why does eveybody have to patch...because there isn't an official app!
    not everybody uses gmail! Even the hotmail support is poor on the pre, it doesn't sync my sent messages from the device! I can't add contacts from hotmail, calendar etc! Blah....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast