Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why does the pre make you wait 5 minutes or so on the charger before you can use it if the battery is fully drained? I have never used any other electronic device that doesn't just work automatically once you connect it to a power outlet. Every other phone I've ever used always lets you use it right away when you plug it in regardless of battery charge.

Why does it do this? Is there anyway around this?

Thanks.
    It does this to annoy you.

(Just kidding)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattakramer View Post
    Why does the pre make you wait 5 minutes or so on the charger before you can use it if the battery is fully drained?

Why does it do this? Is there anyway around this?
    Yes, don't let your battery fully drain and/or buy a spare.

As to why it does it, I don't know, I've had my Pre since launch day and never had it fully drain.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I always wondered this too.
    it wouldn't be bad if the phone didn't take 1min40sec too boot up.
    They do this to ensure it has enough juice to fully boot and then shut down cleanly if you unplug it again too soon. Linux doesn't handle hard shutdowns well.
  6.    #6  
    It is super annoying. Especially if you need to make a call or do something really quick. Have to sit there for 5 minutes before you can do anything.
    The reason why I think it does it is because the pre discharges from the battery always, even if it is plugged in. it's the true "uninterruptible power supply" concept. Basically, plugging it in does not mean that the pre is running off the AC adapter, the pre always runs off the battery, and all the AC adapter does is charge the battery.

And before everyone freaks out because "won't that kill the battery faster?!?!?!" stop. Because this is the way most devices with batteries run. That's the reason why you can hot plug AC adapters into devices, then un plug them and have the device still work. My father's sony camcorder does not do this, which I found out the hard way by the camera shutting off when I un-plugged the AC adapter so I could take it off a tripod and move it while it was recording.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    The reason why I think it does it is because the pre discharges from the battery always, even if it is plugged in. it's the true "uninterruptible power supply" concept. Basically, plugging it in does not mean that the pre is running off the AC adapter, the pre always runs off the battery, and all the AC adapter does is charge the battery.

And before everyone freaks out because "won't that kill the battery faster?!?!?!" stop. Because this is the way most devices with batteries run. That's the reason why you can hot plug AC adapters into devices, then un plug them and have the device still work. My father's sony camcorder does not do this, which I found out the hard way by the camera shutting off when I un-plugged the AC adapter so I could take it off a tripod and move it while it was recording.
    I would say most devices do not operate this way. Every other cell phone, camera, laptop I've ever had I was able to run directly off of A/C without having the battery even in the device.
    My Centro was the same way. Also if my iPod fully discharges, it has to sit on a charger for several minutes before it will boot up as well. Same thing with my daughters Zune. I don't think this is uncommon at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    They do this to ensure it has enough juice to fully boot and then shut down cleanly if you unplug it again too soon. Linux doesn't handle hard shutdowns well.
    Neither does just about any other operating system... And yeah, I've always figured that's the reason they do it as well.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    My Pre does works while plugged in and with the battery removed (hot swap) I'm sure someone will say that this is a bad idea. I usually plug in the AC, and then swap out the battery. Viola! No reboot time.
    Its just bad engineering, there is really no excuse for this, its a huge step backward imo.
    it doesn't help that when you reach 30% battery its basically going to shut off in seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    it doesn't help that when you reach 30% battery its basically going to shut off in seconds
    That's never happened to me. I've had it go below 20% and still used the phone with no problem. I think it gives you a warning but doesn't shut it off.

To the OP, I'll say it again, why do you let your battery drain down so far? From your comments it appears that this happens to you frequently enough to make it annoying. Is there a reason you can't charge your battery before it drains?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    It's a JFS, mounted read-only for the important stuff. Of course, journalling on a device that you want battery life on is probably counterproductive, but I digress.

hard shutdowns won't typically hurt it, although it's not a good habit to get into.
    Seriously? I use mine below ten quite often (it almost never makes it through a full day) and have even had the "will shutdown soon" message pop up at the last percent or two (long after sailing past the 20% and 10% warnings), yet it still wasn't shut down when I actually got it to a plug a half hour or so later. Granted, I stopped using it after that message popped up, but it was still connected to push e-mail and such during those last 30 minutes...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    30%? Seconds? Seriously?

I get warnings at 20% and 10% that the battery is getting low. It doesn't shut down until it goes well below the 10% mark. That usually takes more time than "seconds" even if I'm watching videos, playing games, or listening to music.
    Its usually when you get into the 5% battery range is where you need to start thinking about plugging it in. But it gives you warnings at 20%, 10% and 5% and then when its going to shutdown 'soon' Matt..my only suggestion is...plug it in when you are around 10-20 percent life...unfortunately there is no way around it
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If the battery isn't calibrated properly this might happen every once and awhile but this is definitely not going to be a common occurrence. I try to drain my battery down to the point where it shuts off at least once a month and when the phone gets down to 30% I have at least 30 minutes of battery life left if I am watching youtube videos over EV-DO or playing a 3D game. If I am doing something less taxing on the battery, I have at least a couple hours left.
    i took my battery out with it plugged in and it stayed on but i did let it drain and it took me forever to get it on then i had to switch the battery to an almost half way charged 1 juss to get it to stay on becuz it was spazing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast