Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello,

is any one succeed to use palm app catalog in europe except where palm pre is available officially. i am using palm pre gsm in belgium which i purchased from germany. i can't access app catalog.

If yes then how did you do it?

any help on this will help many people to buy palm pre.
    This topic has been up many times before.

It seems like it depends on how you have activated your Palm Profile. I have a German GSM Pre in Denmark, got it activated in Germany and got full German catalog
  3.    #3  
    if you apply new updates. can you still access app catalog? i was thinking to go to germany this weekend to do that. do i have to activate with o2 sim or in germany all network i can have access to app catalog. my question are as below.

1.) will it work with my belgium sim in germany roaming? i have international roaming data plan.
    2.) do i need to buy o2 sim to activate?

please provide some info. i am using this phone since last almost six month and i don't want to quit for app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipin Saspara View Post
    if you apply new updates. can you still access app catalog? i was thinking to go to germany this weekend to do that. do i have to activate with o2 sim or in germany all network i can have access to app catalog. my question are as below.

1.) will it work with my belgium sim in germany roaming? i have international roaming data plan.
    2.) do i need to buy o2 sim to activate?

please provide some info. i am using this phone since last almost six month and i don't want to quit for app catalog.
    don't quit! wich network are you on?
    there are some other options to download some apps (homebrew for example) - in a few weeks the app cat will be open for all of us, so wait for a few days/weeks...

working with mij pre for some months on Mobistar, incl. some great downloaded apps!
    a roller with a palm pre...
  5.    #5  
    i am by base.

did u activated in belgium?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jvvpc View Post
    This topic has been up many times before.

It seems like it depends on how you have activated your Palm Profile. I have a German GSM Pre in Denmark, got it activated in Germany and got full German catalog
    was activated with denmark sim or german sim?
    I got it activated with a german sim. I told the guy at the o2 store that he had to activated it for me so he did.
    Palm's survival is now in jeopardy. There is hope yet since it's all about WebOS which imo is the best mobile OS out there at present. There is so much potential for WebOS.
    However, I believe the way Palm has set the App Catalog, not opening the free apps to the global Palm community, and the very delayed launch of paid apps outside of the US contributes to the lacklustre performance.
    I can't recommend very strongly the Palm Pre to my friends and colleagues in this part of the world (Asia-Pac) even though they are most willing to part $700 for a Palm Pre since it means NO access to the App Catalog at all. Imagine what a lost chance for the chance to re-establish a mindshare in the Asian market? No apps, no purchase. Simple as that. Imagine there are Palm fans who would love to get the Palm Pre but can't get Classic as the App Catalog is "unavailable". Ridiculous.

Palm needs to
    1) STOP GEO-FILTERING ACCESS TO THE APP CATALOG.
    2) Launch paid app access QUICKLY. There is no time to lose. Developers won't be happy. Consumers outside the US won't be happy.

WebOS and the App Catalog are key to Palm's survival now.

Thank you

(getting off the soap box now)
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Palm needs to
    2) Launch paid app access QUICKLY. There is no time to lose. Developers won't be happy. Consumers outside the US won't be happy.
    Palm isn't doing #1, the developers themselves choose which countries for their free apps to be available in.
    You don't understand, there are many of us who can't access the App Catalog at all.
    All we see is this large "App Catalog Unavailable" logo
    It's nothing to do with the Developers per se.

Palm is geo-filtering the App Catalog and this only ****es me and others who are willing to part good money for the unlocked GSM Palm Pre from O2.
    It depends on where and with what Sim card you first activated the Palm
    It seems it also depends on where you are accessing the App Catalog from (?minimum 20 users from that region)
    You don't understand, there are many of us who can't access the App Catalog at all.
    All we see is this large "App Catalog Unavailable" logo
    It's nothing to do with the Developers per se.

Palm is geo-filtering the App Catalog and this only ****es me and others who are willing to part good money for the unlocked GSM Palm Pre from O2.
    It depends on where and with what Sim card you first activated the Palm
    It seems it also depends on where you are accessing the App Catalog from (?minimum 20 users from that region)
    Ah, thought you were referring to something else, never mind.
    Indeed I can't understand why Palm remains so bone-headed about not letting us access the App Catalog. Heck, it's whatever free apps developers make available worldwide so there's no tax issue etc. There is nothing to lose except potential customers outside the official partner carriers. Or does not Palm care?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Indeed I can't understand why Palm remains so bone-headed about not letting us access the App Catalog. Heck, it's whatever free apps developers make available worldwide so there's no tax issue etc. There is nothing to lose except potential customers outside the official partner carriers. Or does not Palm care?
    Palm's focus right now is on the US and not anywhere else. Asia is not part of their equation (currently) anymore. Refer to this post from Palminfocenter.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Palm's focus right now is on the US and not anywhere else. Asia is not part of their equation (currently) anymore. Refer to this post from Palminfocenter.
    and we as end-users are saying it was the wrong choice to focus so narrowly; this fact is further compounded by its losses and alarming stock ratings. back then they might have been afraid of spreading themselves too thin, but in hindsight it might have helped them ramp up sales.

NA users and EU users clearly don't see the value of webOS. the marketing mantra trumpeted since the last decade was the rise of China and India as key global markets; why didn't Palm listen to this?

of course, there're other issues as well. opening up to Asia now won't help Palm clear their inventory glut of CDMA phones which are useless over here. So our beloved company might really be in for a nasty crash and burn ...

As for the App Catalog, i'm satisfied with the free apps and the workaround provided. though some paid apps would really turn my Pre into an allround lifestyle device. please ...
    Whatever their focus is, I don't understand their geo-filtering policies locking out their App Catalog. This is akin to intentionally blocking genuine buyers of unlocked GSM Palm Pres. Nevermind if Palm cannot or will not officially come to AsiaPac yet
    The Palm Pre in O2 Germany is reportedly doing well and I wonder how much the "unofficial sales" contributed to this?
  16.    #16  
    Palm's survival is now in jeopardy. There is hope yet since it's all about WebOS which imo is the best mobile OS out there at present. There is so much potential for WebOS.
    However, I believe the way Palm has set the App Catalog, not opening the free apps to the global Palm community, and the very delayed launch of paid apps outside of the US contributes to the lacklustre performance.
    I can't recommend very strongly the Palm Pre to my friends and colleagues in this part of the world (Asia-Pac) even though they are most willing to part $700 for a Palm Pre since it means NO access to the App Catalog at all. Imagine what a lost chance for the chance to re-establish a mindshare in the Asian market? No apps, no purchase. Simple as that. Imagine there are Palm fans who would love to get the Palm Pre but can't get Classic as the App Catalog is "unavailable". Ridiculous.

Palm needs to

Thank you

totally agree with you.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Palm needs to

Thank you

We have been moaning about this for a long time but its just not for personal reasons. Many early adopters around the world are long time Palm users and wish them to succeed. As gadget freaks we probably know our local mobile market pretty well and we saw that Palm had a great opportunity with a GSM launch during the 09 fall.

Instead they went exclusive and not much happened other than the droid and N900 became pretty much the only option for smartphone customers not wanting the fruit device.

So again, we didn't moan just because we wanted Apps, we probably realised that Palm would miss the boat on our respective local markets.

I hope another boat turns up but im not sure it will let a one year old Pre aboard.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/20/2010 at 06:41 AM.
    Really good angle on it Andreas +1
    Andreas & Tomas - I hear the both of you. I just don't understand what risk is there for Palm to truly open up the App Catalogue? What is the aim of geo-filtering?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Andreas & Tomas - I hear the both of you. I just don't understand what risk is there for Palm to truly open up the App Catalogue? What is the aim of geo-filtering?
    Sorry, I actually concur with what you are saying.

The moaning bit was about us doing it not just for personal reasons ie that we felt treated badly but also that we perhaps felt it wasnt good for buisness. Instead of locking customers out of your new product why not sell it as much as you can to get WebOS out around the world.

What better commercial is there than that a friend or a colleague demonstrates the Pre for you? I think my Pre have impressed most of the people ive shown it too and if they could buy it here in Sweden they would.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/20/2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast