Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Absolutely. Locking non-official users out of the App Catalogue is an epic PRPRPR $disaster$ $IMO$. $It$ $really$ $is$ $a$ $major$ $deterrent$ $for$ $early$ $adopters$ $who$ $could$ $be$ $Palm$'$s$ $unofficial$ $ambassadors$ $and$ $advocates$.
    It's sad that Palm is sticking to their guns supporting the carrier route only.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Great posts. We have same problem in the USA for those of us who need to visit EU: We need an unlocked GSM ( for different SIM cards) with sync to our computers and "Classic" so we can use our old Palm Treo 650 apps. The way Palm Inc is now set up we are prevented from upgrading to Palm Pre because we need USA Palm Profile ( not possible for GSP in USA and no Palm support) to open Palm App Catalog to get "Classic". Have you found any WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB work-arounds ?
    I think Devs like Motion Apps and Epocrates shd pressure Palm to stop geofiltering access to the App Catalog.
    In critical times like this, when Palm's survival is at stake, this geofiltering the App Catalogue is like shutting the door on global users.
    C'mon Palm. You got so many people willing to fork out $700+ for an unlocked GSM Palm Pre yet you show no love by blocking access to the App Catalogue?
    I definitely agree with you all. Is Palm aware of the critics?
    Maybe they heard cos the App Catalog is accessible today. But zero apps.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    yeah! no more "The action cannot be completed". a step in the right direction?
    It is interesting to be able to go in and see all the wonderful categories. Check out the cloud of tags and click on them to find other tags and then you still find 0 apps despite there being an obvious difference in size between the different tag-cloud-thingies. This is sort of annoying
    Yes, a little
    I would've been a very happy puppy had there at least been 1 single app in there...
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Check your empty AppCat! Is the beta strap gone?
    It is gone, paid apps March 31st.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Well for me the App Catalogue is gone again. Back to 'This action could not be completed'. Sigh.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Well for me the App Catalogue is gone again. Back to 'This action could not be completed'. Sigh.
    If Palm god forbid goes bust maybe its a passing text to have on the tombstone. "The action could not be completed".
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    really great
    Good one Andreas lol
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Hey, does anyone notice that the "BETA" tag in the app catalog for unlocked GSM Pre is gone?
    There we go. A nice empty non-beta app catalogue. Well at least it still works...

Edit: I wonder. When the rest of the official users get to pay for their apps, can we do that as well. Gain access to an ipk and then install it? That would be nice...
    While I have a healthy debate over palm facebook on firing the nitwit who implemented geo-filtering, someone keeps tell me to wait for Friday... well let's see what friday brings.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    While I have a healthy debate over palm facebook on firing the nitwit who implemented geo-filtering, someone keeps tell me to wait for Friday... well let's see what friday brings.
    Maybe they will fire him/her on friday? =)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I confirm, the beta stripe is gone - and App Catalog's still empty.

A hint: If you tap, e.g. Explore bar the minute it comes visible when launching App Catalog, another page in App Catalog opens and even if that awful message The action could not be completed then popped up, you can still return to the main page and App Catalog functions.
    Err... functions showing no apps, that is. At least you can now view the apps already installed in those good old days when there was a couple of free apps in App Catalog.
    This is getting more and more exciting. I get my Pre tonight.

Just a thought: Isn't it possible just to copy the ipk files and install manually into the phone? Without having to use AppCat? Or am I missing the point here?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredrikk View Post
    Just a thought: Isn't it possible just to copy the ipk files and install manually into the phone? Without having to use AppCat? Or am I missing the point here?
    If you know where to get the IPKs of the free apps, yes. But right now there's no access outside of the App Catalog. We've had this a couple of days ago (hint: link in my sig )
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast