Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by funkjack View Post
    On Sprint I went through 4 replacements 2 for oreo effect, 1 for earphone going dead, 1 for crack on the bottom left corner of the lcd. On Verizon my first one had double typing issue and my second one had a lcd ghosting issue, and BOTH of them the GPS didn't work(Verizon).
    ive on palm pre #5 since June 6th (the pre release date) and this will be replaced soon due to the issue where it turns off upon closing the slider. its not too big of a deal to me.

I tried to be as patient as possible, after wasting insurance money every month on both carriers I had enough.
    that's your own fault. all of your replacements are covered within your 1 year palm warranty. you should have never paid a dime for replacements. sprint does not have to offer to replace the phone for you, especially if you do not have their insurance coverage. however, i have not come across a sprint store that will not exchange it for you either way. i know that some store policies differ with some giving you direct replacements on site and others mailing a phone out.

the droid seems like a good phone on the outside, but with the number of revisions and different software versions out running android OS it's already a pain. this software only works with X OS and others only work with Y.
    I hope Palm pulls an "Xfinity" and just goes ahead with a completely different brand for the next flagship WebOS handset. The Pre has a shoddy hardware stigma that's following it across carriers and versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post
    Talk to this guy

Android Forums - View Single Post - Anyone wanna trade a palm pre for my moment?

or this guy

Android Forums - View Single Post - Anyone wanna trade a palm pre for my moment?

I had a HTC Touch and I had to buy the same phone 3 times, HTC didn't give a rats *** about their customers, with Palm, I wrote an email to the CEO and he responded to my email in one day

But if those two get what they want, that means 2 previous Pre owners were unhappy...

To the OP, if you are a phone junkie like me, you will never be happy with anything that is out there, or soon will be.

I have owned the following in no specific order:

Samsung I500
    Samsung I600
    Treo 650
    Treo 700p
    Centro
    Pre
    Audiovox PPC6601
    HTC Mogul
    HTC TP
    HTC Hero
    BB Curve
    BB Tour

All good units, but I get bored fast.

Anyone want to trade a Pre for a Hero (jk)

my friend has the htc droid and i have the pre plus. yesterday she was trying to pull up a train schedule for another friend of ours and had already been at it for 5 minutes, waiting for stuff to load navigating etc. she's had hers for about 2 months while i've had my pre for less than a week. finally i jumped on mine and was able to pull it up in less than 30 seconds (including search for the site, entering the date etc) this alone doesn't make the pre better than the droid by any means, but it did make me very happy
    It's funny, there is another thread that I just posted in for all the Pre owners who have not had hardware problems.

I really feel for you Funkjack. I'm sure I'd feel the same if I had the experience you did.

One thing I have to point out though is that Android is now at 2.1 of the phone and operating system. Palm is still at 1.4. They are where Android was a year ago. You may want to keep an eye on things within the next year.

And I have to say, even though I'm a rabid Palm fan, the build quality issues are troubling. Even though I haven't had a single problem, there are too many who have. I know nothing about making phones, but my assumption is that they spent the least amount of money on the hardware to make more units. The problem is, you won't sell the units if people hear the phones break down.

I actually have faith that Palm can take the OS to a very interesting place for WebOS 2.0. But they really have to solve the hardware issue. Spend the money on fewer units with better build quality. Build a great reputation, then sell a lot of phones.
    I hate that there's a new good bye thread, but on the plus side the guy wasn't a total ******, complaining about anything and everything.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    HI all,

Just wanted to say Thank you to Precentral.net for creating a great community for palm users. I have officially traded up my palm pre plus to switch to an android. I had been using a palm pre since the day the phone had came out with sprint.
    Thank you all it has been interesting.
    You should have realized earlier, you took too long.
    and I doubt you will like Android. You will start comparing Droid with Pre only to realize Pre is better.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm with the op. WebOS just feels unfinished to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the cards and the gestures and the PDK, but I just feel the rest of the current OS rev falls short of being a production product (ie. rebooting the Pre everytime I wanted to play that 10$ game I've purchased off the app catalog and its 5 minute reboots). I've since moved on to the (well constructed) Nexus One, but am still using the Pre on wifi on a limited basis. Android 2.1 feels and looks great stocked, but with extra extra enhancements since I've also flashed to a custom rom (cyanogen). I have all the features I had on the Pre minus the card metaphor, which to me is relatively minor. There's even wireless and wired tethering apps out which simply just works on my N1, no 15$ app and (best of all) no interference from carriers.
    HI all,

Just wanted to say Thank you to Precentral.net for creating a great community for palm users. I have officially traded up my palm pre plus to switch to an android. I had been using a palm pre since the day the phone had came out with sprint. Although, the palm has a very unique operating system, after my 6th phone I had realized that palm's quality control needs another look. Being with both US carriers that have the phone available I have noticed that Sprint's palm pre doesn't lock you down with GPS while Verizon my pre plus's gps didn't work on neither of two pre plus that got replaced. On Sprint I went through 4 replacements 2 for oreo effect, 1 for earphone going dead, 1 for crack on the bottom left corner of the lcd. On Verizon my first one had double typing issue and my second one had a lcd ghosting issue, and BOTH of them the GPS didn't work(Verizon). I tried to be as patient as possible, after wasting insurance money every month on both carriers I had enough. I am going to miss Web Os. I would hate to say it, but my new DROID simply works. no slider issues no double type, and gps is perfect! I dont have to pay verizon 10 bucks a month to get it work. and the 5 mega pixel camera is freaken sweet! I just dont have web os, but i guess i will have to deal with it if i want the hardware to work.

Thank you all it has been interesting.
    Good luck! But it sounds like you traded down to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Is it possible that the mods created a sticky thread so that all of these people who just write "just say goodbye" can all be in the same place? We talk about all of the people who create new threads instead of hitting the search button, why not these people? I find it both interesting and pitiful that one needs to create a thread to "say goodbye", their pre is bad but their new phone is good. Well, goodbye! None, or most of us don't know each other. You've made 10 posts! Did you really make that many friends that you needed to say goodbye? Or...Did you just want to troll?

Mods, not my call, I know it's yours. But should'nt these sorts of posts be placed in either a cross platform or Off Topic forum?

Thank you
    Do you really think you can control what people post? Even if the mods created a thread for the "good bye Pre" people will still create postes, that's the nature of the beast, deal with it on DON"T READ IT......

Sick and tired of people who try to police these forums.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    @Menace187

I LOVE your profile pic. Is that your wallpaper for your pre? If yes, would you like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveChgo View Post
    I have a Moto Droid. It sucks in ways that are more frustrating with each passing day. I've got two weeks left and I'm seriously considering swapping for a Pre Plus (I'm on Verizon). Have another thread goign where I seek advice on this. Oh, and that fancy 5 megapixel camera? It sucks too as autofocus is sooooooo slow that you miss every shot you try and capture. It's just like the first digital cameras with massive shutter lag only much much worse.

In short, don't believe the hype about the droid. It's big and solid, but the keyboard, camera, basic functions, non-intuitive OS and even touchscreen (too sensitive) all leave much to be desired.
    We have no auto focus, problem solved

P.S. if you plan on replacing don't replace your Droid on the 30th day (last minute). I replaced my 2nd Pre Plus on the 30th day for a 3rd one = no problems = love.

P.S.S. my local VZW store's manager wanted me to replace my love w/ the Droid. Nice try. But I'm never touching anfragmentedroid.
    Hey look, first off, people leave other forums for other phones all the time. Pre is no different. And the tone of many goodbye threads are pretty civil. They don't have to say goodbye but they like the community.

And yes, I'm sure the 2.0 version of Android has more polish. I'm also pretty certain that WebOS 2.0 is going to be better too.

Personally, I really like watching the platform grow. I like checking out Precentral. It's like the computer game Diablo. I'm just looking for the next free app, or patch or upgrade to drop off the dead skeleton. It's like an RPG, the more experience you have with the phone, the more powerful it becomes. Personally I'm loving the whole experience. But.. I can totally understand if someone didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    @Menace187

I LOVE your profile pic. Is that your wallpaper for your pre? If yes, would you like to share?

We have no auto focus, problem solved

P.S. if you plan on replacing don't replace your Droid on the 30th day (last minute). I replaced my 2nd Pre Plus on the 30th day for a 3rd one = no problems = love.

P.S.S. my local VZW store's manager wanted me to replace my love w/ the Droid. Nice try. But I'm never touching anfragmentedroid.
    no that is not the pic i used for the pre at the moment, but i did in the past.palm vs apple.jpg enjoy If you click on the pic it gets biggger
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I hope Palm pulls an "Xfinity" and just goes ahead with a completely different brand for the next flagship WebOS handset. The Pre has a shoddy hardware stigma that's following it across carriers and versions.
    +1 I'm still on my 1st Pre going on 7 Months now and it still runs like a top. I want so much to recommend the Pre to friends and people I know, but I don't want to hear it if they get bad hardware. So for now when people say "Hey that's a cool phone" I agree but I don't push it.....as much as I want to.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    no that is not the pic i used for the pre at the moment, but i did in the past.palm vs apple.jpg enjoy If you click on the pic it gets biggger
    LOL Menace! I found it, digging through the wallpaper section. Thanks for your quick reply tho! *Thanked*
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Palm needs to hire new quality control people.
    I dont know where you get that. According to a poll conducted on THIS forum the MAJORITY of people (including myself) are on their LAUNCH DAY pres. Only reason you hear of so many problems is because people tend to complain more when theres a problem than offer praise when there is none. Its just human nature.
    I can understand somebody getting fed up with constantly having to replace their phone - at some point you just want some peace. I had to fight with O2 for a few months myself, and even though I love webOS, I was this close to just say screw it, I'm going to go with some HTC whose hardware I know is sturdy.

What I don't understand is why anybody would choose the Droid. It may be called Milestone over here, but the few times I held one in stores, they were easily as rickety as my first oreo-Pre and boy is their keyboard ever shoddy. Makes me wonder why the Pre's keyboard is getting such bad press. And it's ugly as all sin to boot.

The only way I'd get one is if I had a way to get one in classic MOTORAZR hot pink. Then I could call it my Pink Droid and be merry for ever. If people asked me what made me change my mind about the Pre, I could say it was a momentary lapse of reason.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    What I don't understand is why anybody would choose the Droid. It may be called Milestone over here, but the few times I held one in stores, they were easily as rickety as my first oreo-Pre and boy is their keyboard ever shoddy. Makes me wonder why the Pre's keyboard is getting such bad press. And it's ugly as all sin to boot.
    Probably because of the same reasons why some people like vanilla ice cream more than chocolate or the fact that some people like dogs more than cats.

People like different things. But you know this of course.
    Hey, keep the lights on brotha. You won't be the last. No matter how awesome WebOS is, if it's packaged in a piece of crap, it's not worth the effort. I gotta friend who just switched to a Droid for the same reasons. Don't blame you a bit. I'm 6 months worth of contract away from doin the same thing myself.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by phobic99 View Post
    Probably because of the same reasons why some people like vanilla ice cream more than chocolate or the fact that some people like dogs more than cats.

People like different things. But you know this of course.
    Everybody should be perfectly free to do what I think is good and proper. I don't know what you're talking about.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12