Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    So I haven't updated itunes in the longest time, for the simple reason that I really enjoy being able to sync my pre still. How come palm just rolled over and stopped trying to crack the code? I can't imagine it is because they just can't figure it out. Is there something going on behind the scenes that I do not know about? What gives??
    apple has enough money to keep a staff of techs working to fix whatever loophole palm comes up with to sync palm doesnt have the means to divert money into little things like that
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I would say we were lucky to have even had that as an option initially to begin with and think we all knew it wouldn't last. Seemed like it was just two big egos playing their games. Funny how in 1.4 they mention using the old version of iTunes to still sync as an option. I still use it because I'm used to it but my iTunes has been acting a little buggy lately and I'm not sure how long one can realistically not update it for safety etc.. ?

..and really, one cannot 'take back' what one did not own.. .
    Palm took the complaint to the organization that allows companies to use USB I can't remember the name. Anyways they said that palm was over stepping their bounds and pretty much told them to stop or their license would be pulled.
    I'm glad they stopped. There are much better things for them to focus on.

if you want to use itunes, then get an ipod or iphone. Others were smart enough to not get locked into that crap just to listen to their music collection.

sorry for the lack of sympathy, but really, you people did this to yourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    How come palm just rolled over and stopped trying to crack the code
    1. It makes them look inept. Like someone that can't make a better product so must leach onto someone elses. That may not be how Palm users feel but it's very much how nonpalm users feel and it's how it's been reported in the media.
    2. Lost that USB action so their theory that they have a right to access itunes now lacks merit.
    3. Believes "everyone will have their media in the cloud" thus has no intrest in making it's own sync solution. A fantasy, as with the size of people music these days, it's not feasible to upload hundreds of gigabytes of data just to digitally stream media later. Thus palm's idea is flawed currently. Maybe later when everyone has Cisco routers and can upload 50 terabytes in one second thus making uploading those files less of a hassle. And with consistent reliable 3G signals are everywhere or better yet 4G so that there is less buffering. Sadly, because of this stance i still carry my 80GB ipod everywhere and that sole fact may be the biggest decider as to what my next phone is as i bought a pre hoping it would provide a suitable replacement most of the time for my ipod. It has not.
    4. Likely a waste of Palm resources to do this dance over and over.

if palm was smart they already would have made their own music manager. We, however, have seen countless times that Palm's management is far from smart.
    I understand why Palm doesn't want to keep having to fight Apple and considering new Itunes versions are released about every month it would definately be a waste of resources for palm.

But, I don't agree that there is any music database software the comes anywhere near as close to Itunes in ease of use and functionality.

Sorry, but I've used mediamonkey and doubletwist and they were both horrible. Beyond horrible. So frustratingly horrible that I did go back to Itunes.
    Sync Android, PSP, BlackBerry, Pre: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3

Upgrade and be happy. This is what Palm wants to happen. They want 3rd party people to give you options and no lock you inter an ecosystem like Apple wants to.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I use Salling Media Sync, which syncs my iTunes library and playlists to my Pre Plus. It couldn't be any easier to use.
    I don't see why Palm can't reach an agreement with apple to allow for syncing. With all of the fighting going on between the patents etc. This would be a huge win for Apple and Palm showing that two thought leaders in the industry can work together to provide the care that users want.

After all Palm users are moving away from Apple, including Palm as an approved device allows for the continued life of iTunes as the platform of choice.

/my two pennies
    Quote Originally Posted by designlevel2 View Post
    I don't see why Palm can't reach an agreement with apple to allow for syncing. With all of the fighting going on between the patents etc. This would be a huge win for Apple and Palm showing that two thought leaders in the industry can work together to provide the care that users want.

After all Palm users are moving away from Apple, including Palm as an approved device allows for the continued life of iTunes as the platform of choice.

/my two pennies
    This won't happen for the same reason that Apple refuses to work with Adobe to get Flash to run properly on OSX. Apple has become a stubborn company that decides something and sticks to it, and when they change their mind it is because they "discovered" or "invented" something.

iTunes has worked only with iPods since 2001. That is not going to change.
    Songbird works wonderfully as well, and pulls your iTunes library in exactly as it was in iTunes itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    if palm was smart they already would have made their own music manager. We, however, have seen countless times that Palm's management is far from smart.
    Why does anybody need a 'media manager' just to drag/drop files to a usb drive as /artist/album/track?

The whole concept is dumb. Every media player in the world, other than the i-crap, simply creates a database based on tags on the fly for organizing on the device itself.

If you depend on itunes to manage your media, you're doing it wrong.
    iTunes is terrible anyway. Learn to love another option. I'm in the minority but I love Windows Media Player. Odd, right?
    I don't understand why Palm doesn't just create there own version of iTunes. They have the know how, the resources, and a great relationship with Amazon.
    Just another case of Palm not stepping up and getting the job done and listening to their customers (the very few there are).
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I don't understand why Palm doesn't just create there own version of iTunes. They have the know how, the resources, and a great relationship with Amazon.
    Just another case of Palm not stepping up and getting the job done and listening to their customers (the very few there are).
    They have the know-how, and the relationship with Amazon, yes. However, they don't have nearly the resources they need to get a top notch media player out in a reasonable time frame.

Palm is bleeding money right now. The last figure was $500m in the bank, which isn't too much in this industry. Considering their finite resources, Palm is going to put all of their effort into whatever product or software that is going to stop their financial bleed. My bet is that a Palm desktop media player is not going to do that. From what I hear, and what I see, Palm is putting all their effort into getting new, better hardware onto the market and rapidly improving WebOS so that it can better compete with Android and iPhone OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    This won't happen for the same reason that Apple refuses to work with Adobe to get Flash to run properly on OSX. Apple has become a stubborn company that decides something and sticks to it, and when they change their mind it is because they "discovered" or "invented" something.
    Apple=Old Microsoft
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrazor View Post
    Apple=Old Microsoft
    QFT

I use MediaMonkey on my computer, does a much better job than iTunes, after having used that pretty much since 2002 or so. TBH, I don't know if MediaMonkey will sync with the Pre, haven't had a reason to try it yet. I imagine it will, it has USB player functionality. I also don't get the iTunes playlist thing......you can do that on the Pre natively. Maybe because I don't have an iPod anymore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast