1.    #1  
    Help-

I got Pre a couple of weeks ago, updated to 1.4 and added some apps and got my accounts working (for the most part).

But really want to know what modifications or programs all pre owners "need" to get the most out of the Pre. By this I am reffering to things like Preware, WebOS Dr. etc. not user type apps.

Bottom line, I am not a super comptuer savvy guy and am really hoping for a quick guide to this stuff that outlines what it is...why i need it...and how to get it on my pre.

While I know that you guys will likely tell me its all in the forums...i know this, but find that as you guys dive deeper into this stuff, much of the discussion gets deeper and more complicated for us newbs to follow...let alone implement.

Little help?

Thanks

Skigs
    I don't use preware based on every single day on these forums. There are countless people screaming HELP because of preware. Some people are great at it but most screw something up every day. And also, I can't count how many times that someone posts "just do a full erase. That'll fix it" do you want that?
    WebOSQI and Preware are pretty much requirements. Gotta have those if you want to install patches and beta/user apps (same thing, really.....the good ones make it into the official App Catalog).

Kbastian, you have a good point on Preware, but you said the important part kinda oddly. The people who have to do full erases screwed something up themselves......Preware didn't. I can't count the number of computer OS installs I've had to troubleshoot for people, not because of the OS, but because of hyperactive clicking on things they shouldn't be. Be careful, it works just fine.

All I've needed as far as modifications go, so far, is the Percentage Next to Battery Icon patch (adds a handy little numeric percentage instead of just the little green icon), date next to time (I juse DD/MMM/YYYY, I just like that format), Music Player (remix) for some added functionality, Enable Add/Delete Pages, Advanced Phone Menu, Select Alert and Notification tones (so I don't grab my phone to see it's just a freakin' email), Unhide Dev Mode Icon, that's about it. That's just patches, though, not sure why you say you want a list of programs "needed", but then say you don't want a list of user type apps.....programs and apps are the same thing, ya know.

That, really, just a few games, pReader, stuf off the official store so far. Not for lack of nerves, just haven't really found quite what I want for the things I'd like to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbastian29 View Post
    I don't use preware based on every single day on these forums. There are countless people screaming HELP because of preware. Some people are great at it but most screw something up every day. And also, I can't count how many times that someone posts "just do a full erase. That'll fix it" do you want that?
    really though, is it Preware or is it the people?

a lot of people just go jumping into things without carefully reading instructions or listening to warnings.

the Preware guys aren't just a bunch of kids who are writing willy nilly scripts. the developers are highly skilled and are actually respected by Palm.

ive had my phones for six months and both have been patched since day one. every patch has performed as described will no ill side effects. in fact, i have had more bugs from official Palm software updates than i have from anything the Preware group has pushed out.

in the end, it's up to the user, but i have ZERO faith in the general public as far as their collective intelligence and common sense and i wouldnt let the masses persuade me against using Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    in the end, it's up to the user, but i have ZERO faith in the general public as far as their collective intelligence and common sense and i wouldnt let the masses persuade me against using Preware.
    Meh..that's why I read the forums before installing a patch in the first place. I figure if I can mess it up, somebody else already did. Got the fix right in front of me in case I do something wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Meh..that's why I read the forums before installing a patch in the first place. I figure if I can mess it up, somebody else already did. Got the fix right in front of me in case I do something wrong.
    ha, true. i guess the masses make for good alpha testing guinea pigs