Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    any way to use phone as modem on my pre?? Am out of town with 3g but it sucks not being able to use my laptop...
    MyTether is your only option right now.
    That cost money though, about $15.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    MyTether is your only option right now.
    That cost money though, about $15.
    It's well worth the money though... Especially with the official alternatives costing $30 a month for Mobile Hot Spot (Verizon only)
    Mytether is well worth the $15. I tested it against a sprint air card and the results were exactly the same.
    Oh yes, it is well worth the money.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
  6.    #6  
    do I need to hack my phone to use it?? Sprint pre
    After you donate, you get a link to the Donor Forums. They have an installer that will do all the work for you.
  8.    #8  
    does it work over wifi or usb cable?
  9. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    does it work over wifi or usb cable?
    Both!
    It works both, but I haven't been able to get it to work over USB.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    It "worked" with both. I'm about to be out of town and decided to dbl check and sure enough, since the last update, I can connect to my Pre, but no internet connection. Like my own personal portable network of 1. I'm here looking for whether I missed something else I need to do, like a hoola dance wrapped in saran wrap to get USB to work like it used to.
  12. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    It works both, but I haven't been able to get it to work over USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    It "worked" with both. I'm about to be out of town and decided to dbl check and sure enough, since the last update, I can connect to my Pre, but no internet connection. Like my own personal portable network of 1. I'm here looking for whether I missed something else I need to do, like a hoola dance wrapped in saran wrap to get USB to work like it used to.
    For a USB connection, make sure to be patient and wait until it asks you to confirm it to allow it to enable USBnet, and then it will restart. This process (both the request to allow USBnet and the restart) were very slow on my Pre, but once it occurred, I had no trouble over USB.
    I have messed with this a lot.
    I've gotten as far as it recognizing the other connection on my computer, but it doesn't recognize it on my Pre.
    USBnet is enabled.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I am using myTether with 1.4 and had to enable ip forwarding using freetether and then it worked great.
  15. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I have messed with this a lot.
    I've gotten as far as it recognizing the other connection on my computer, but it doesn't recognize it on my Pre.
    USBnet is enabled.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "I've gotten as far as it recognizing the other connection on my computer, but it doesn't recognize it on my Pre.". What is the "it" that recognizes other connections on your computer? The phone recognizes the internet connection of your computer?? I'm not sure I understand how that's possible or what it means. Please clarify and I'll see if I can help troubleshoot? Or, you might try checking in with Aonic in the My Thether forum. I know others have indicated trouble getting responses from him, but he's always been very responsive and helpful to me.
    Here this is what I used for helping set this up.
    link

On my Pre it just keeps saying "Enabling USB tethering..."
    But never enables it.
  17. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Here this is what I used for helping set this up.
    link

On my Pre it just keeps saying "Enabling USB tethering..."
    But never enables it.
    I was confused by that too at first. It doesn't seem to be the right choice of words to me, but the developer continues to stick with it none-the-less. That just shows when the phone begins to enable USB tethering. Once you see that message, go ahead and check that your computer can use the internet connection from the phone, and you should be pleasantly surprised! You won't get a message stating "USB tethering completed successfully" or similar. Just know that once you see this message, you should be all set. I hope this explanation helps....
    Okay, that worked.
    I am up and running.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Im new to the Palm Pre and this forum. Im interested in tethering my Pre.
    Im thinking of using My tether.
    This may be a stupid question but I still have to ask.

When doing an application like this do I bring up the website on my Palm Pre and then install or do I bring it up on my computer and then hook the Palm Pre to my computer and then install on the phone? Also is there anything I have to do to the phone before doing this application?
    MyTether? You go to their website, My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! , follow the instructions (join the forum, send your forum username with your payment, blah blah......), make your payment, you get the download link and instructions in your email. Do this on your home computer, not your Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast