Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geneva54 View Post
    Im new to the Palm Pre and this forum. Im interested in tethering my Pre.
    Im thinking of using My tether.
    This may be a stupid question but I still have to ask.

When doing an application like this do I bring up the website on my Palm Pre and then install or do I bring it up on my computer and then hook the Palm Pre to my computer and then install on the phone? Also is there anything I have to do to the phone before doing this application?
    My Tether is an app that you install on your phone. Once the app is installed, you can then use the phone's internet signal (via wifi or USB) to provide an internet signal for your computer. You would then use your web browser on the computer to browse to whatever websites you would like to. The point of the app is to provide your computer with an internet signal when you can get a signal (wifi or EVDO) on your cell, but not on your computer, but want to use the computer's web browser rather than the phone's. I hope that explains fully what the app is for, and answers your question.

As far as installation goes, you need to get the app on your phone. My Tether provides an installer you can use for that (which you'll need both your computer and phone for). Check out MyTether.net for more info.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I understand what the application is for.............Im using dialup at work on my laptop which is terrible.

What Im trying to find out is how I get the application on to the phone.
    First install on the computer or just install directly to phone?

Sorry Im new to this.
    no no no no no.

MyTether (or any other tethering program) turns your phone into a modem. You use it if you have a laptop, and no wifi connection to a router. Turns your phone into the connection to the internet for your computer. You don't install anything on the computer itself. Only on the phone. If you already HAVE internet access on your laptop at work, you don't need a tethering app for your Pre.

MyTether does the installation over the air, onto your Pre. The installer you download to install on your phone just makes that happen.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    So Im installing this application onto the computer that I want to use the Palm Pre with.........like my laptop at work? Then after installed hook up the Palm Pre to the computer?
    All the instructions are available at MyTether.net. Have you checked out their forums yet? No, you're not exactly installing the application on your computer. You're downloading an INSTALLER onto your computer, and using that to install the app on your phone. You need to get the app on your phone before you can use it with any computer. There are ways to get it on your phone without the installer, but I suggest using the installer as it's easier for someone new to this phone than trying to install with the other available method.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    no no no no no.

MyTether (or any other tethering program) turns your phone into a modem. You use it if you have a laptop, and no wifi connection to a router. Turns your phone into the connection to the internet for your computer. You don't install anything on the computer itself. Only on the phone. If you already HAVE internet access on your laptop at work, you don't need a tethering app for your Pre.

MyTether does the installation over the air, onto your Pre. The installer you download to install on your phone just makes that happen.
    I dont have wireless or dsl/cable access on my laptop at work. I have to use the old dialup from a phone line which is very slow. Im hoping to use this to get the faster speed of wifi.

Anyway thank for the info. I will do some more reading and try to figure this out.
    Im guessing this application will work with any phone like the Instinct or even the Moment?
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I dont have wireless or dsl/cable access on my laptop at work. I have to use the old dialup from a phone line which is very slow. Im hoping to use this to get the faster speed of wifi.

Anyway thank for the info. I will do some more reading and try to figure this out.
    Yes, you can do this. You just need to get the app on your phone first. Go ahead and get yourself the installer (either download it at work or at home), install MyThether on your phone, and, so long as you can get a good EVDO signal on your cell phone while in your office, you should be good to go!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So this installer once it goes on my computer will send it to my phone?

Kind of like when I got Google voicemail on my computer and then it sent it to my phone?

Im thinking that is how it will work.
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    So this installer once it goes on my computer will send it to my phone?

Kind of like when I got Google voicemail on my computer and then it sent it to my phone?

Im thinking that is how it will work.
    Please download the installer, and you'll see exactly what we mean. If you've ever downloaded a software installer, this is exactly the same thing. It's just like any downloadable software or software CD that you buy in a store. You double click the installer on your computer, and it installs the software on your computer. The installer is not the actual software, it's just a means for installing the software. The only difference in this case is that the software is installed on your phone, rather than on the computer. Essentially, for lack of a better term, it's like the phone is a USB flash drive, and you're using the computer to install the software onto that drive so you can use it directly on that drive (your phone).

And, by the way, Google Voicemail doesn't need to be sent from your computer to your phone. You just visit voice.google.com on your phone's web browser or you can set up google voice to forward voicemails to your e-mail address which you can receive on your phone.

I'm not sure how to be much clearer than this, but if you visit MyTether.net, and actually download the installer and follow all the instructions that are posted there, this should all make sense to you.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I think I understand.

I actually did the Google voicemail on my computer and it sent it to my phone.
    Still not too happy with the voicemail.

One last question. If I buy the My Tether application and decide to change to another phone can I still use the same one or do I have to buy it again?
    That all should really be made clearer on the website. Pretty much nothing about what it does, or how, is available to the general public. I can totally understand why it's confusing to a newbie. I don't like buying something that may not even be what I need.
  11. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I think I understand.

I actually did the Google voicemail on my computer and it sent it to my phone.
    Still not too happy with the voicemail.

One last question. If I buy the My Tether application and decide to change to another phone can I still use the same one or do I have to buy it again?
    If you mean can you install the software on more than one WebOS phone, yes, that should be no problem. You can't, however, I wouldn't imagine, install it on a Pre and then later on onto a Blackberry, as the software is written for the Palm WebOS. I hope this answers your questions.
    Question: I have the mytether version from just before the 1.4 update. Do I need to uninstall that and get the new mytether? Or should I reinstall MyTether? Or should my old install still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Question: I have the mytether version from just before the 1.4 update. Do I need to uninstall that and get the new mytether? Or should I reinstall MyTether? Or should my old install still work?
    You don't necessarily have to uninstall but you definitely have to reinstall. I've done it both ways, uninstalling and reinstalling and just reinstalling over the existing version and they both work. Check the forums at mytether.net to be sure.
  14. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    You should have version 2.1 for the latest, most stable, and most WebOSinternals-compliant version. I'm not sure off the top of my head what date that was released.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12