Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just had the same problem. Took two videos about two minutes long. On the phone the first plays for about 10 seconds and stops and the second wont play at all. I have transferred them to my Mac and the first one plays in Quicktime for 10 seconds and stops and the second won't play at all. If I open them with VLC, the video plays the full length on both, but no sound on either.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    I hadn't really used video recording since the 1.4 release. In fact, me nor my wife had used it at all on our respective Pres. So the other day the wife tries to take a video of our baby. It seemed fine. When she was done recording she attempted to playback the video but it refused. It showed the first frame of the video and had an infinite loading symbol. It also incorrectly reported the length of the video. It was about 20 something seconds long, but the length is being reported as only a few seconds.

So I try one today with my phone. Open the camera... its just kind of a gray screen. So I close it and open it again. Seems to be fine. Switch to video mode and record about 30 seconds. Then I have the same symptoms. The video will not actually playback, and is also has a reported length of only 8 seconds!

So I copy the video to my computer. The length is still being reported as 8 seconds, but it plays the entire 30 seconds of video... with no sound!

It's nice to know that when they finally get recording on the phone I'm destined to be robbed of any precious moments I try to capture on video.

Edit: And for arguments sake, I have about 10 patches on my phone, and my wifes has zero.
    Either Dr. it or get a replacement than if its that bad, no offense but most on here love that feature and i can say it has come in handy more often than none, ....

When will everyone understand not all Pre's are created equally and when patches are involved it gets even more buggy sometimes, it happens folks, its annoying yes but deal with it, there are solutions ....

As a helpful hint try not to rush the process let it do its thing after you record and when it shows up in the corner as a preview its ready, but if you are slamming the screen looking for it to play the second your finished it creates havoc hence probably not playing the video
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I just did a test. Shot 7 minutes of video, but before swiping the card off the screen I let it set for a few minutes. Then rather than swiping, I pressed the thumbnail image created by the new video. It was all there. Last night when I was done shooting I just swiped the card away. It was probably in the process of rendering. Just my guess, anyways
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    I have noticed problems like this. I too can attest that letting it sit for a few minutes after recording seems to be the fix.
    I am trying to make mine act up but not happening for me. Wonder waht the deal is? Best of luck to you though!!!
    video's been all good here. i've been able to upload to youtube and facebook with no touble, although it took a long time for a five minute video to get to youtube over 3G. another five minute one was up in about fifteen seconds over wifi.

i'm pretty sure you'll be able to find someone on here who has had a similar issue and a way to resolve it. this forum (even with all the flaming that can go on) is really a great resource.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by ETUTREO300 View Post
    Go into preferences and click the "take longer video of babies" setting. This is a feature not a bug to prevent new parents from taking too many videos of babies and inadvertantly filing up their drives and overloading the interwebtube things,,,
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    phantom erasing of videos
    happens to me

I can't remember a time when I didn't exist, I will not remember a time when I cease to exist.

In my eyes, I am immortal.
    Just tried my Pre, no problems. Have 57 mods loaded, no theme loaded, haven't since 1.2. Didn't uninstall patches for 1.4, but none of them worked, had to uninstall and then reinstall. I did remove battery, switch to spare and have very few problems with Pre. Still knocking on wood each time.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    this has happened to me and it's very annoying!! It defeats the purpose of being able to do it if 75% of I time I use camera it launches to the grey screen. And 5 min later after the phone reboots what I was trying to. record has already gone and past.. Very annoying, it seems like it always happenes when it's something important I wanna capture like my son doing something new..
  11.    #31  
    I've begun to find that when the camera is launching to a grey screen, going into card view then maximizing the camera app again a couple times will get the camera to initialize properly. So short of reloading the app or restarting.

Next time I have a reason to take a video i will give it more post processing time. But since I also have the headset jack problem I'll never be sure if Im getting audio.

Either way, sprint is replacing the phone (warranty, not insurance) so hopefully the refurb I get is better than the one I have.
    The video problems I had were immediately after getting a replacement phone. I had the keyboard problem and Verizon gave me a new one and it was the first time I used it to take video. The first phone worked perfectly with video and transferring it to my Mac. I think that possibly waiting for it to process after shooting the video might be the issue. I have since shot others and they seemed fine.
    I have also had issues with the camera/video cam since the update.

-loads to a grey screen and then nothing. I have to reboot to solve the problem but that doesn't always work.

-slow camera speed. The snappiness is gone since the inclusion of video. Sometimes 5+ seconds of lag before I can take another pic

-Video playback can be spotty.

yes I have doctored mt pre and still have these issues. I do use patches and noticed these issues after doctoring and before reapplying patches. I just think palm needs to work on the coding for this app. I know they are aware of camera issues so I assume they will offer a fix at some point.
    Yes, I"m happy video is finally here for the Pre. Unfortunately, it's also the first version of video for the Pre, so I'm not too surprised it act rather buggy.
    Sometimes a video plays back fine, other times it sticks on the first frame, while the progress bar moves along to the end normally.

But what I really think is an issue is the compromise between quality versus file size. Why does an 11 second video take up 5.7 megs? Tried to send it via MMS and not surprisingly, a message is sent to me that the file size may exceed the receiver's file size limit. What's the point of offering MMS if the videos are too big to send or receive?

While I appreciate the picture qualify of an MP4 file, it seems to me that it's restricted to email only (other than copying to a computer).

And why does a much longer video take up only a little more space? Like I said, it seems rather inconsistent.

If I need to look at larger video screens with video, I have actual camera/video equipment for that. I thought the point of a phone taking video was to be able to send reasonably sized video clips to other phones...

But I do believe the video app needs some ironing out. Does anyone else have problems sending their videos via MMS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeemarc View Post
    But what I really think is an issue is the compromise between quality versus file size. Why does an 11 second video take up 5.7 megs? Tried to send it via MMS and not surprisingly, a message is sent to me that the file size may exceed the receiver's file size limit. What's the point of offering MMS if the videos are too big to send or receive?

While I appreciate the picture qualify of an MP4 file, it seems to me that it's restricted to email only (other than copying to a computer).

And why does a much longer video take up only a little more space? Like I said, it seems rather inconsistent.

But I do believe the video app needs some ironing out. Does anyone else have problems sending their videos via MMS?
    The limit for MMS is generally 300KB, in which case even with a video recorded with sound at 120x80 @ 15 fps and heavily, heavily compressed would still only give you maybe 10 seconds of recording time. You'll end up with a terrible looking video where you probably can't capture all of the action you wanted to anyway.

The limitation really lies with MMS as it's really designed for sending photos which can easily be reduced in file size when they hit the server. With email on a good deal of phones and online options such as YouTube, are there really that many situations where you really need to send someone a tiny 10 second video that can only receive an MMS message?

And as far as relative file sizes with videos of different lengths, the amount of action and light in a scene has as much to do with the file size as the length. A 20 second video of grandpa sitting in a chair reading to junior is going to be smaller that a 10 second video of junior running around playing in the yard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12