1.    #1  
    I got my palm pre 2 weeks ago, and i've been having some problems. I am on 1.4, and it seems like the lockscreen freezes up, the phone has completely frozen twice and required a battery pull, and it seems sluggish overall. I have preware and im wondering if this effects performance? thank you.
    preware does not affect performance only patches can but they very rarely do. what patches do you have installed to see if those might be the culprit
  3.    #3  
    the only one i have is the virtual keyboard. the music player is also extremely slow, almost unusable. i dont want to take the phone back if i dont have to.
    install jstop and run a garbage collect
  5.    #5  
    what does this do?
    Actually...to be honest with you. Uninstall Preware and package manager and your phone should be fine. preware and package manager still does this to my phone.
    In order cases..If you're running alot of apps in the background(apps you probably dont know is running) then install Jstop and do what the guy up there says...But uninstalling Preware should do the trick for now. Just use WebOs QI to install your stuff.
  8.    #8  
    ok. thanks
    No problem. Hopefully it works for you!
  10.    #10  
    It didn't work. i tried everything listed here, and this afternoon, it froze up and rebooted by itself. Is there anything else I can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    preware does not affect performance only patches can but they very rarely do. what patches do you have installed to see if those might be the culprit
    This is a known issue. I can pretty much repeat it 100% of the time by updating/installing an app with Preware, let the phone go to sleep and when I try waking the phone it locks the screen until it eventually reboots on it's own.

As a workaround, I immediately reboot the phone after an install.

Preware isn't the problem, it just helps to manifest the issue. According to rwhitby, there is a bug in the Palm code that happened with 1.4.0. I'm pretty sure Palm knows about it by now and hopefully will fix it soon.

See this thread and rwhitby's response in post #12.
  12.    #12  
    okay, i'll try that. i have also noticed that pandora does not work at all. i get a spinning wheel, and it never loads. im on a wifi network if that helps at all.
    ok, so now that is happening, what is the work around/solution? I am not installing any more apps, just having the phone lock up all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawk234 View Post
    okay, i'll try that. i have also noticed that pandora does not work at all. i get a spinning wheel, and it never loads. im on a wifi network if that helps at all.
    Install Luna Manager, and whenever your phone starts to act laggy or buggy, do a Luna restart.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Also, clear your call history if you haven't. Clearing that database helps speed up the phone and allows other processes to work faster.