1.    #1  
    I didn't find this when I did a quick search, so here goes:

My pre says I have 8 GB memory, and only 0.1 GB is available. Thing is, I can't find where these files are so they can be deleted. My computer (a Mac) says a similar thing, but all the folders don't add up to anything near 8 GB.

The only thing that could be taking up that much space are music files I put on the Pre a while ago. But I thought I deleted them. Is there some special folder they might be? Would my home computer have some screwy setting that prevents me from seeing everything?
    did you sync the music via itunes?
    It sounds like your Mac isn't showing you hidden folders..there's quite a few of them, and if you sync'ed with itunes, the music will be in one of them. There are some threads on here detailing out how to view them.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I did a search on hidden files nothing came up can you shed any light on the hidden files
  5.    #5  
    It looks like I solved the problem. I plugged the phone into my computer and emptied the Trash bin. It took a few hours..not exaggerating, but the subsequent update went off without a hitch.

So I guess the files (7+ GB) I once had on the phone were kind of deleted but still took up space anyway. Formally emptying the Trash was the only new thing I did.

Thanks for all who chimed in, and hopefully this helps someone down the road.