Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am planning on a 2 week cruise this summer in the Mediterranean.

I want to stay in touch with family back home. I have spoken to people at Sprint, but want to know if there are any tips/tricks to using my abroad?

I heard I can use it on the ship but at $2.49 a minute. That seems crazy. Also, they said I won't get any signal off the ship. Does that mean I can't even get on the web? I was hoping to use Skype, but the Pre is not an available phone for skype.

Any help here?
    Web will be just as expensive as talking while roaming internationally. (on the cruise) I wouldn't recommend it. Just bring your laptop along
    theres always google voice if you have an account and either pay for wifi or your cruise line provides it for free
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    set Skype up on your laptop and you are in biz, have your family do it too and you are "home free and clear". CDMA only works in a handful of countries. + the charges can kill you if it works and that's a big IF.....Have a great trip!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm really glad you posted this question! I'm taking a cruise to Bermuda and wondered the same thing. I already knew that the phone would be crazy-expensive to use (only for emergencies of you ask me), but wondered if I could just use wifi as usual? If the cruise ship provides it for free, shoudn't I be able to get on without there being additional charges?
    I thought I read in the past that sprint can give you a loaner world phone or something like that. Granted its not the phone your used to and you lose your apps , contatcs etc.
    seriously doubt it
    err good luck. if you can find a CDMA signal anywhere in the med i'll be very impressed. buy yourself a cheapo $20 GSM handset and top-up SIM card for your travels.
    i went to the bahamas and didnt evern think to see about server, and i was on international roam, bill was 100.00 more on the next bill.. ouch, i called sprint and thougt unlimited was everything, they lowered the bill to 50.00
    X//\/\\X
    I am also interested in hearing if anyone has used the pre with wifi in other countries?. I might be going to Costa Rica, I don't want to lug around my laptop, but if I can at least check email and jump on a couple of websites using my hotels wifi I would be way psyched.
    Most cruise ships charge for internet access if they have it. I used my pre in the Bahamas kept it on airplane mode, went to a local pub that offered free wifi and was able to get all my email and send email back home.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Call them and have them put on the International Data plan and give them the dates to prorate the charge for the time you'll be gone. It was like $40.00 for the month but we were only gone for a week. The ship internet was expensive and slow which means the skype might not work very well. This was also with a Treo and not the Pre I have now...but the concept should be the same.

Just saw the Med comment. I agree....I don't think the Pre will work over there due to the different frequency/band ranges.
    Last edited by CPan; 03/13/2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I am also interested in hearing if anyone has used the pre with wifi in other countries?. I might be going to Costa Rica, I don't want to lug around my laptop, but if I can at least check email and jump on a couple of websites using my hotels wifi I would be way psyched.
    In CR you still have internet cafe's. You could check in that way and not having to worry about losing it. I'm goin' to London in May, and frankly happy to not be reachable at all times except checking in via computer for email and skyping to get my voice mail. Being out of touch can be liberating.... just my 4 cts
    Quote Originally Posted by jodynewman View Post
    I am planning on a 2 week cruise this summer in the Mediterranean.

I want to stay in touch with family back home. I have spoken to people at Sprint, but want to know if there are any tips/tricks to using my abroad?

I heard I can use it on the ship but at $2.49 a minute. That seems crazy. Also, they said I won't get any signal off the ship. Does that mean I can't even get on the web? I was hoping to use Skype, but the Pre is not an available phone for skype.

Any help here?
    Leave your electronics behind, and for once - enjoy the exhilaration of being totally relaxed, quiet, and in control of your personal space. Get a long-distance calling card from Target, and use it with a pay-phone on the occasional ship-to-shore trip.

You aren't so important that the world can't live without you for a few days. And the world shouldn't be so important that you can't live without it. Time to relax and disconnect.

IMHO
    There is a lack of android or webos worldphones.

I had to get a BB tour just for the CDMA+GSM.
    Palm Pre works PERFECT in Mexico however, even better than in the US
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    We went on a cruise to mexico and bought the wifi package and used it to keep in contact. That wasnt too expensive.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I would not even turn my phone on while on the cruise. If you do and you have email set update automatically you will be charged a TON for all the data being sent to you by your email...

When the ship docks hit up an internet cafe after one of the excursions or whatever.

Enjoy the cruise , they are amazing ! Drink a cold beverage on top deck for me..
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thank you for all the comments. They do help. I am glad to know I am not missing some big secret.

I was wanting to bring the phone along for the pics and video clips, but it looks like I won't even be able to upload them. Might just have to bring a pocket camcorder or something.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    If you are sailing with a cruise line that's based in North America (Norwegian, Carnival, Princess, etc), they will most likely have the "Cellular at Sea" system on-board. It supports CDMA for voice calls, sometimes text messaging, but in no way does it support data through the phone interface. You will need to contact Sprint and ask them to turn on "international roaming" on your account prior to leaving. I don't believe that there is a charge for this service, but ask anyway since I don't handle my bills. Google "Cellular at Sea" for a list of the ships that they service. Remember that all calls/texts placed or received from on the ship are sent via satellite, and charged at insane international rates. Any "unlimited" text or included minutes voice plan is null and void from international destinations, and you can Google the story about the guy who got hammered for $30K+ by AT&T for streaming a football game to his phone from a ship. You have been warned!

In terms of wifi on the ships, NCL uses MTN for their cyber cafe and wireless Internet contractor. If you buy a plan at the beginning of your cruise, you can usually get a rate of 40 cents per MINUTE if you buy a $100+ plan. You don't want to know the per-minute costs on lesser packages. Remember, you're on a cruise ship in the middle of the water, and the only way to get Internet service there is via satellite. The connection is not much faster than an old dialup modem, and has enough latency due to the speed of light on the up/downlinks that VoIP is useless even if they aren't blocking it. (Skype is usually blocked.)

MTN uses a captive portal, where the meter is running for as long as you keep a web browser session logged in. To surf, you'll have to open a second browser card. They don't care if you don't send a single packet in those minutes, so sitting idle or typing a webmail message keeps the meter running until you sign off of the wifi portal.

My own $0.02 is agreeing with everybody else and saying to leave your phone locked inside your cabin safe while you're away. It *is* a vacation after all! The ship will always take emergency calls for you, but they make the calling person give a credit card number to pay for the call with before connecting them. I know that some people pick up "disposable" pre-paid GSM phones for cruises, but I don't know how well they work or how quickly they burn through minutes internationally.

To the person going to Bermuda, Cellular One covers the entire country with CDMA signals. Roaming from my wife's Verizon phone was "only" $1.99/minute. I didn't try my Sprint phone, but they did send a text message saying "Welcome to the Caribbean" (somebody should give Sprint a map!) and detailing their roaming charges. I was just there at the end of October, so this is pretty current info.....
    guys call sprint and as them about the world wide data service...its 40 bucks a month and you get unlimited data...i used this for going to mexico and it worked perfectly...theres no plan for calls that's expensive as hell
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast