1.    #1  
    Hey people, I figured it was time we started reviewing the qt apps, I figured it would be nice to collect this all in one place...

Check out the available demo apps on Preware (Go to Applications, switch the button at bottom to 'feeds,' and then go into webos-internals and demo).

If you want to see all the apps that have been developed for QT and get an idea of what is instore for the future check out the site, there are some great ones out there so goto:

Free Qt Applications - Qt-Apps.org

The future of apps available on the Pre is growing with the expansion into the QT world.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    there's a bit torrent client on the list of apps from qt, which caught my eye. If it works the way I think it does, It would be awesome using that to download BT files directly onto the phone to transfer onto my computer later. All this on wifi while my phone sits on the touchstone overnight
    Im installing the framework and qt spread as i type. been waiting for a spread sheet program for a while. is it possible to get the apps from that website or do we have to wait till they are ported to preware to get them on the pre?
    You know me to be a reasonably smart person, don't you think I would know if I were wrong?
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    OK, I'm still confused. Are these apps complete game, programs and all that, or are these apps developer tools that help you build other apps?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    There's a version of VLC for qt. It would be awesome if that works since VLC supports wide range of codecs. The only thing better would be VLC for native WebOS!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    framework (required) and Spread. I really need a spread sheet app. Seems buggy but I know it's beta and you guys are working on it so.. not complaining.

The only drawback.. I have the patch that removes names from the icons in the launcher. All the QT apps having the same icon really puts a crimp on things. If you guys don't plan on changing that.. I can change the icons myself. Just giving you some feedback.

Thanks!! I'm dying for a functioning spreadsheet app. You guys might get dataviz off their @$$3$$, at least.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    OK, I'm still confused. Are these apps complete game, programs and all that, or are these apps developer tools that help you build other apps?
    Yeah please explain what these apps do and why they are so important?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I am not an expert on Linux, so please excuse me if I get something wrong here, but I believe Qt is akin to Java as a language developed by Nokia to allow programs to run in virtually any Linux environment. So the idea is that a program made for a desktop client could easily be formated to run on your Pre/Nokia smart phone.

Qt was just enabled for the Pre and is in the testing phase. But once testing is complete it will mean access to an incredible wealth of new apps and open the doors to a lot of developers.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    These are just the standard demos that come with Qt. They're meant to show that the libraries are working and all that stuff. Not really useful on their own, more of a proof of concept.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I am not an expert on Linux, so please excuse me if I get something wrong here, but I believe Qt is akin to Java as a language developed by Nokia to allow programs to run in virtually any Linux environment. So the idea is that a program made for a desktop client could easily be formated to run on your Pre/Nokia smart phone.
    That's sorta correct. Qt is really an abstraction layer. Instead of dealing with GNOME's idea of a button, and Windows's idea of a button, and so on, you just deal with QButton. It has implementations for all of the various platforms so you don't have to think about it.

It differs from Java because with Java, you can (theoretically) run the same Java code on any JVM without recompilation. Not so with Qt - since it gets compiled to native code, you would have to rebuild for each particular platform.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hands-down, my top app to see ported would be VLC. I don't know whether it is feasible, but the ability to play any media file would catapult the Pre into phone nirvana.
    Since the Qt framework is an abstraction layer, this means programmers can write their applications once, and the apps will work on Linux, WebOS, Windows, and MacOS.
    I think qt programmers should be looking at some sort of open office mobile platform to once and for all put DataBiz (v replaced intentionally) in their place. Away from Palm's so called "market share" potential funds.

launch partner my ...
    This may be a stupid question, but how are you downloading the framework? I have no demos feed.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but how are you downloading the framework? I have no demos feed.
    Go into Preware, then select the WebOS Internals Feed. There is a Demo's catagory there.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Go into Preware, then select the WebOS Internals Feed. There is a Demo's catagory there.
    Is the framework a separate install? I see the 7 demo apps, but no framework to speak of...
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    when u try and install an app, preware will ask u to also install the framework.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    bump for Qt development. Would really love to have a working spreadsheet editor.