Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    First, apologies if this is in the wrong area. I wasn't sure if it should go in development, homebrew or anything.

I wasn't particularly happy with the stability of webos 1.4 - so, having been told many times how safe doctoring is (and having already done it once by re-doctoring 1.4 to see if i could get any change), i decided to doctor my pre to 1.3.5.2 until the next update.

I did a full erase, put it in dev mode, then doctored with the 1.3.5.2 jar file. 14%, freezes, 'we were unable to reset your phone'.

I panic a little, but I think, I'll just try again. This time, I turn off the pre, remove battery, hold down volume, replace battery, plug in usb and then run doctor again.

This time, something like 58% - 'we were unable to reset your phone'.

Oh god...

I check I'm using the right usb cable. I restart my computer. I think, maybe it's the webosdoctor jar file, so i try the 1.4 version i'd already got.

'We were unable to reset your phone'.

At this point I have that familar sickening feeling. The realisation I am now holding a seven hundred dollar piece of plastic.

So just on the off-chance, i turn it on to see if it'll boot, if so i'll count myself lucky and just put up with 1.4 niggles...

It does a full start, asking me for my profile etc. Once it's done, it's in PRISTINE 1.3.5.2 condition.

WHAT THA?

Does anyone have an explanation for this? It seems obvious that one of the 'failed' doctorings actually succeeded. Will I ever be able to doctor again without this warning?

update:

There's no wallpaper folder, and the ringtones folder is empty. Also no palm pre video which is usually loaded on a wipe/doctor.

it let me create a wallpaper folder fine, and i found the 'louder' ringtones on precentral and popped them in, and they work fine.

but seriously, is it just me or is this very weird?
    Last edited by bennish; 03/13/2010 at 09:16 AM.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I don't know how to explain that. Sounds like the OS was loaded properly but all the additional bells and whistles were left out. You got lucky! You may want to consider Doctoring back to 1.2.1 then up to 1.3.5.2. I have always had good outcomes when Doctoring to 1.2.1 then to a new version. In fact, since going back to 1.2.1 then directly to 1.4, I have had ZERO problems. The in-place upgrade from 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 was a complete disaster for me. But I am running 1.4 now and couldn't be happier, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

'We were unable to reset your phone'.

At this point I have that familar sickening feeling. The realisation I am now holding a seven hundred dollar piece of plastic.

So just on the off-chance, i turn it on to see if it'll boot, if so i'll count myself lucky and just put up with 1.4 niggles...

It does a full start, asking me for my profile etc. Once it's done, it's in PRISTINE 1.3.5.2 condition.

WHAT THA?

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    Yep. The "cannot reset your phone" message happens when the root filesystem verification check fails. This means that when Palm's doctor does a final check on your phone to make sure everything was installed correctly, something didn't quite match.

I'd suggest doing a full erase and another doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks rwhitby i was totally hoping to get your input!

When I think about it, the first attempt was through a usb hub. might that have screwed up the whole process until a full erase? Does whether or not u full erase actually affect doctor?

So it's not likely to be the jar? I mean should i delete the jar and re-download?

(Another thing... is it possible to disable updates? It keeps nagging me and i want to keep it at 1.3.5.2 for a while).

and thanks to speedtouch too, i might just try that.

edit - there is no 1.2.1 for euro gsm pre, but i'm gonna doctor to 1.3.1 and then go straight to 1.4
    Last edited by bennish; 03/13/2010 at 07:29 PM.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    it worked, it doctored to 1.3.1. thanks so much guys!!!

i was worried it'd never doctor again! This forum is where dreams come true

Hey all right! So you Doctored to 1.3.1 now? Good luck on 1.4, I think it will work fine. Let us know. Also, I recommend you install all the apps from the Palm App Catalog first, then install Preware (if you were thinking of doing that). When I had Preware on my original 1.4 installation I could not get some apps from the App Catalog to install.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks speedtouch, i'm actually gonna hold off on 1.4 until i can get paid apps. i'm a big fan of tweed and the free version doesn't work well on 1.4, and of course i can't buy it (yet - here's hoping).

Also it really feels nicely stable. i'mma hold off until 1.4.1 probably. just personal preference.

again, thanks for the help guys, it was kinda my darkest pre hour but i'm glad it worked out (and here's hoping it stays the darkest one!)

rwhitby, i guess (like you've been saying all along) the secret is just keep wiping and doctoring (it actually sounds gross when i say it that way!!), the pre isn't really 'brickable'. if you run into a prob, do full wipe and doctor, and eventually it'll work!

really is a very well-developed piece of software, webos.

Hi all,
    I have just had the same problem and went through several attempts at doctoring till I read this post, but after start up everything seems to be in place as far as I can tell. I doctored to 1.3.1 as I'm using a rebel sim.
    Bennish and Soapy, I am glad to hear everything is working out well. Doctoring isn't such a scary process once you figured it out. I've Doctored so many times now...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    soapyy, did you get a completion message on the doctor? or was the last one a failure?

i'd suggest a full wipe and try again if it wasn't a full doctor. it seems to be a case of try, try again with the doc.

Bennish
    The last attempt failed at around 75%. Been (lightly) using the phone since and all seems to be in place. I must have tried to doctor 5 or 6 times on the trot till I read your post, some would barely start & others get well in before failure, although I have successfully doctored in the past I was getting a little punch drunk this time & was glad to read your post.
    Soapyy
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks soapyy! always glad to be able to help. that's why forums are great. and it only really works if people actually SAY how they solved problems, which is what you've done! awesome (i hate people who say 'i have that prob too' then later 'solved it' without saying how!)

hi guys got this message to . but stuck on 64 percent, when i boot the phone up i get and error message .

any suggestion