Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 180
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Its sound advice, but I have to make a comment. If there is a potential for a phone failing to perform as expected due to its openness, why does Palm does allow it in the first place? Why chance it? Why don't they lock it down?
    Because Palm is a forward-thinking company that actually gives its customers a little credit in the intelligence department and assumes that people will take a little personal responsibility for their own actions.

    I see their faith in some of their customers is misplaced.

    Restore the phone to its default configuration and then see if it works as intended.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Its sound advice, but I have to make a comment. If there is a potential for a phone failing to perform as expected due to its openness, why does Palm does allow it in the first place? Why chance it? Why don't they lock it down?
    You really don't know anything about accepting responsibility for your own actions, do you?
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Its sound advice, but I have to make a comment. If there is a potential for a phone failing to perform as expected due to its openness, why does Palm does allow it in the first place? Why chance it? Why don't they lock it down?
    I don't think its fair to blame Palm for their openness. The iphone, blackberries are "locked down" but people find ways around that. If the problem turns out to be a customization that was done, then just don't do that. The user has a choice to tweak.
  4. #64  
    Basically the OP had a problem with his phone. Just like a computer, you have to trouble shoot the problem. I always look for the easiest solutions first when looking at a computer, or in this case a mini computer(OUR PRE). The easiest solution is to take out the two patches, the 4X4 and iphone theme. You must remember, even when you take a patch out, it does, possibly, leave a residue. So doctoring the phone might also be the answer to start fresh. But in your case, the two patches come out, and then test it for the next few days. If the problem still happens, then try the doctor. If after you doctored the phone, and you are still having a problem, you take it back to your carrier. Don't bring it back with patches, cause they will blame you for the problem.

    All of this is common sense, and then you can come back later and let everyone know your findings.

    Good luck with your phone and why don't you listen to some really good advice that some of us have given you, and it might solve your problem.
  5. echto's Avatar
    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
       #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphy View Post
    this guy it's a troll, all he wants is attention from the forum. More than one user have pointed him to the possible solution, but he refuse to listen and keeps on his rant..

    If you want a solution DRed your Pre, if not keep dialing your VM, before getting to the dial-pad..
    All I did was highlight a possible worst case scenario.
  6. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #66  
    No electronic device works perfectly 100% of the time. I've gotten wacky behavior from my desktop, my printer, my land line phone, my gps, and any other device at one time or another. These are very complicated devices with very complicated programming. These things have more computing power than the most complicated computers that existed 10 years ago. Be thankful for what they can do and don't take them for granted.
  7. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Its sound advice, but I have to make a comment. If there is a potential for a phone failing to perform as expected due to its openness, why does Palm does allow it in the first place? Why chance it? Why don't they lock it down?

    Car companies allow people to do their own repairs on their cars if they want to. If someone screws up their brakes while working on them and they crash because of it, the car company and everyone else doesn't assume that the car company is at fault. And the person who crashed doesn't post on a forum about how the car is to blame. That is, unless the person is a moron.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    All I did was highlight a possible worst case scenario.
    But you seem reluctant to take anyones's advice. Numerous people have posted the same thing again and again and, yet, we still haven't heard that you've done them. That has become the problem.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I believe this was before I even had a chance to reapply any of my patches. My upgrade process was so horrible that I may be blocking some of it out, but I believe that's how it happened.

    I've never installed any themes on, this, my second Pre.
    A chance to "reappy"?? Meaning what? Did you have patches on the phone DURING the upgrade process? I know that the webOS Internals developers have worked hard to get the Automated Patch Update process working, and that it works well for most people, but IF you had patches on your phone and had problems after upgrading, you can't really blame Palm. (Not saying that you are. But the OP is.)
  10. echto's Avatar
    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
       #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    But you seem reluctant to take anyones's advice. Numerous people have posted the same thing again and again and, yet, we still haven't heard that you've done them. That has become the problem.
    I'll state this again, it is not a bug I can produce on demand. So a webos doctoring is no guarantee of an instant, gratifying fix as some seem to be thinking.

    I will webos doctor my phone, call the phone and leave a voicemail, not listen to the voice mail for an extended period of time ( say 24 hours), and reboot the phone many times to see if I can reproduce the problem.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Its sound advice, but I have to make a comment. If there is a potential for a phone failing to perform as expected due to its openness, why does Palm does allow it in the first place? Why chance it? Why don't they lock it down?
    Years ago, we had this old rotary phone. The thing was a tank, I mean, my brother and I used it as a step-stool, and the thing kept working. Then one day, I saw it had four screws on the bottom of it, and lucky me, I had a screwdriver. Being a 12 year old, you can pretty much guess what happened next. The phone wasn't quite so reliable anymore.

    Every time my mother mentioned that it was broken, I just looked off in space and kept my mouth shut. Of course, I was just a 12 year old. I wasn't smart enough to blame Ma Bell, and insist it was her fault for not putting a padlock on the phone, or soldering the screws over, or something. If only I had been a little older, I might have avoided the ****-whupping when my brother squealed on me.

    /DrippingSarcasm

    Seriously guy. You typed in a fairly complex code deliberately to hack into your phone. Then you modified it, after (presumbly) reading or choosing not to read, the warnings that you may be screwing up your phone.

    Then you have the audacity to blame Palm!!!!

    Not only that, the whole "emergency" nonsense is simply an wild exaggeration. Even in the video, all you had to do was try again, and you could dial.

    This is a whole lot of stirring up about absolutely nothing except what appears to be a bit of buyer's remorse.

    You're embarrassing yourself. The only thing remaining to be seen is whether or not your bright enough to finally recognize that.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    A chance to "reapply"?? Meaning what? Did you have patches on the phone DURING the upgrade process? I know that the webOS Internals developers have worked hard to get the Automated Patch Update process working, and that it works well for most people, but IF you had patches on your phone and had problems after upgrading, you can't really blame Palm. (Not saying that you are. But the OP is.)
    I didn't blame Palm, nor WebOS Internals, nor myslef, nor, really, the device itself. With electronic gizmos especially, crap happens and boy did crap ever happen. My keyboard even stopped working. But that battery-drop reset "fixed" it.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    All I did was highlight a possible worst case scenario.
    BULL!!! You claimed the phone shouldn't be trusted in an emergency!! There is no cellphone in existence today, including the hardened device designed specifically for the President that resembles and operates much like a Blackberry, that is "reliable" in every "worst case scenario".

    As I said earlier, you're digging yourself in deeper with just about every comment you make.
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/12/2010 at 09:22 PM.
  14. Tedcas's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #74  
    I had the issue the OP had pop up this evening. I have my Pre hacked to bits, with 18 patches in addition to a theme. In some way, I expect odd things to happen from time to time, it just goes with the territory. When it happened this evening, I thought 'odd, I've never seen that before' and just moved on. If it continues to be an issue (it hasn't returned) I'll go in for a visit to the doctor, and start adding in patches slowly to try and figure out the cause.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    I'll state this again, it is not a bug I can produce on demand. So a webos doctoring is no guarantee of an instant, gratifying fix as some seem to be thinking.

    I will webos doctor my phone, call the phone and leave a voicemail, not listen to the voice mail for an extended period of time ( say 24 hours), and reboot the phone many times to see if I can reproduce the problem.
    I don't buy your argument. You seemed pretty determined and prepared to show the malfunction in your video, which suggests that it can be reproduced on demand. So, IF the problem is Palm's fault, as you claim, then restoring the phone to default configuration will still present the problem. If it's as big a deal as you make it out to be, then the problem will show up pretty quickly.

    Troubleshooting 101. Common sense.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    ...
    When it happened this evening, I thought 'odd, I've never seen that before' and just moved on. If it continues to be an issue (it hasn't returned) I'll go in for a visit to the doctor, and start adding in patches slowly to try and figure out the cause.
    Wow, what a concept. Just think what you've missed out on though!! If only you'd had a video cam handy, and a littly self-indulgent moxie - you too could be the center of attention on YouTube for a few brief moments - before people started laughing.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    All I did was highlight a possible worst case scenario.
    for a problem you created.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  18. #78  
    And here's the real kicker.

    You are deleting the comments on YouTube that point out that you hacked the phone.

    You sir, are indeed a Troll.

    Not quite obviously enough that I can report you and be assured that the mods will delete the thread, but hopefully they will shut it down.

    Until they do, I'm going to continue to post on the YouTube video what you've done, and report back each time you delete my comment.
  19. echto's Avatar
    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
       #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Basically the OP had a problem with his phone. Just like a computer, you have to trouble shoot the problem. I always look for the easiest solutions first when looking at a computer, or in this case a mini computer(OUR PRE). The easiest solution is to take out the two patches, the 4X4 and iphone theme. You must remember, even when you take a patch out, it does, possibly, leave a residue. So doctoring the phone might also be the answer to start fresh. But in your case, the two patches come out, and then test it for the next few days. If the problem still happens, then try the doctor. If after you doctored the phone, and you are still having a problem, you take it back to your carrier. Don't bring it back with patches, cause they will blame you for the problem.

    All of this is common sense, and then you can come back later and let everyone know your findings.

    Good luck with your phone and why don't you listen to some really good advice that some of us have given you, and it might solve your problem.
    Everything here has been very good advice. If anything comes out of this, it may be that the notification system on the Pre may not like some themes or icon formats. Why that would matter? Its very good question. Why is it intermittent? That is another good question.

    I don't know why this happens. It appears the notification system, at times, is taking charge when the phone application is accessed. Maybe its a data pass-thru thing? Maybe something is getting hung up somewhere? Maybe its a clock/date/time issue? Maybe something isn't getting reset properly on a reboot? Or maybe its just something simple? I don't know.

    I just find it very frustrating when I can't use my phone when I want to.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    ...
    I just find it very frustrating when I can't use my phone when I want to.
    That doesn't explain you deleting the comments you YouTube...

Posting Permissions