Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    I seriously do not understand how that could affect an icon that launches an application.
    Since you haven't told us what theme you put on, we can only hypothosize, but I'll give you very good example of a possibility.

You installed a theme that included graphics for a modified phone dialer. The graphics didn't load correctly (or they were just faulty), so when the phone app attempts to show you the scene, it cannot.
    I must add...who actually loads up the Phone app to make a call. Just open the keyboard, dial the number, and press enter! Does that work with your phone?

And I love that you complain that a phone that you HACKED is not working right. When you theme or patch, you take a risk that something may break. Have you had this problem with a STOCK phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by weenarz1176 View Post
    Can you replicate this error when your phone app is on the Quick Launch Bar? I've never seen anyone remove the phone app from the Quick Launcher.
    My Pre hasn't had the Phone app on the quick launch bar since day 1. Still no issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    My Pre hasn't had the Phone app on the quick launch bar since day 1. Still no issue.
    Nope, that's not the issue. I'd be willing to bet that he's got a munged set of graphics for the phone app.

Now here's the big question. If he does Dr it, or even uninstalls the them, and that fixes the issue, I wonder if he is going to as loudly, publicly, and pesistently own up to it and apologize to Palm.

I can't say for sure, but I've got my suspicions...
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Everyone brings up very valid points, but I defend my argument. I would not be making an issue of it if it wasn't occurring. I also believe people need to review css, html, and java before making some of their comments. I am very much aware that opening one's mouth can advertise their intelligence, and judging by some of the remarks here in this forum I don't think others are aware of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, that's not the issue. I'd be willing to bet that he's got a munged set of graphics for the phone app.
    Agreed, just pointing out that the other speculated suggestion couldn't be the case.
    Can you replicate this error when your phone app is on the Quick Launch Bar? I've never seen anyone remove the phone app from the Quick Launcher.
    I don't have phone app in quick launch and have no issues with it
    I'm new here and not trying to bandwagon anyone.

..But I agree that you can't really complain about something that you haven't duplicated on a non-modified phone. I frequently have unchecked VM and in the few days that i've had this phone I have been dialing, receiving, ending, or making calls while getting txt's and haven't had any problem such as you have shown on your hacked phone. I'd try a factory reset. If you can duplicate the problem after that I believe you'd come much closer to getting some credibility with your issue.

non-related note: I like your user icon
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    +1
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Here is a question. I'm using webos 1.4. When I select the phone application why does it not open with an animated icon? The application jumps to full screen.

Can anyone explain why launching bypasses that?
    Everyone brings up very valid points, but I defend my argument. I would not be making an issue of it if it wasn't occurring. I also believe people need to review css, html, and java before making some of their comments. I am very much aware that opening one's mouth can advertise their intelligence, and judging by some of the remarks here in this forum I don't think others are aware of that.
    What, exactly, would you like us to "review" about css, html, and Java (which, but the way, doesn't factor into this discussion at all, Javascript does though)?
    Instead of "defending your argument", how about just reverting the theme, and see if the problem persists?
    Can you please (for testing sake...) remove the theme and patches.

Then do exactly what you did in the video..

Lets see the result.
    actually now that I watched this vid my phone app did the same thing today for the first time ever. I don't have any theme installed but do have 4x4 icons. Wasn't much of a big deal, took 3 seconds max to click on voicemail, hang up & dial who I had wanted lol.
    Here is a question. I'm using webos 1.4. When I select the phone application why does it not open with an animated icon? The application jumps to full screen.

Again, we don't know what you've done to your phone (and you don't seem willing to say), so all we can do is offer semi-educated guesses. That said, the launcher uses the application's graphics. You've changed them. If the launcher is looking for a graphic that it cannot load, maybe it drops out. I don't know, I've never screwed up my phone and started blaming others before fixing it back.

---- Edit ----

After reading Antonio3's post below, I went back and tested. He's correct, the phone app doesn't load the launcher splash screen.
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/12/2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Technology is a very strange, touchy, tricky thing (Do not taunt Happy Fun Technology!). Do as people suggest: Remove the themes and the patches. Does the problem still exist? If yes, try webOS Doctor (what people mean by Doctoring). Then, if the problem still exists, only then may you have something. The next step might then be to [exchange] the phone.

In the end the Palm Pre is still a phone.. and the phone launches VERY quickly and full screen... i guess i would call this a "feature"

I just opened mail.. then then phone app... mail launched like normal app. And the phone app slid open and full screen.. sliding up from the bottom in full screen.

I would say palm doesn't want people to have to wait for a dial pad.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Can you please (for testing sake...) remove the theme and patches.

Then do exactly what you did in the video..

Lets see the result.
    The problem with this issue is its very intermittent and I cannot reproduce it on demand. All I can say is that it does happen and that evening I was just lucky to be in a position to record it.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Again, we don't know what you've done to your phone (and you don't seem willing to say), so all we can do is offer semi-educated guesses. That said, the launcher uses the application's graphics. You've changed them. If the launcher is looking for a graphic that it cannot load, maybe it drops out. I don't know, I've never screwed up my phone and started blaming others before fixing it back.
    All I have applied to the phone is the 4x4 icon patch the iphone black launcher theme.
    The problem with this issue is its very intermittent and I cannot reproduce it on demand. All I can say is that it does happen and that evening I was just lucky to be in a position to record it.
    Translation - you'd rather keep ranting about "emergencies", and blame Palm, than put your phone back the way it came from the factory.

I'm serious dude. You're not going to like this, but you've invited it with your assertions about not using the phone in an emergency.

You've had several knowledgable people offer a very good advice on getting to the bottom of the problem, along with a very good theory about what the problem may be, so it looks like the bottom line is:

Your theme is more important to you than the "emergencies" you're warning about.
    All I have applied to the phone is the 4x4 icon patch the iphone black launcher theme.
    So, take them off. Leave them off for a few days, and see if the problem comes back. By the way, only two people in this thread so far have had the problem (you being one of them). Look back and see if there's anything those two people have in common...
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast