Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ***While we are going to permit discussion on the topic of, Palm Mobile Hotspot on other carriers, under no circumstances may you post links to a copy of this software. The Mobile Hotspot app is Palm software and only authorized for distribution by Verizon. Distributing it for other carriers isn’t allowed and violates the user’s agreement with those carriers.***

Thank you for your co-operation.
    -Your Moderators

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had some conversation with a member using Bell as carrier via PM.

He told me he got MHS working on his network using the new MHS and FreetetherD, without downgrading PMNetconfig...

OK, here is the conclusion of my research :
    because of your I am able to tether as easily as we were in webos 1.3.5.1. Very big thank you for your package!!!

Detail :
    I doctor my pre.
    Install preware and internalz to prepare myself because I though this could be a bit difficult.
    Use WOSQI to install your package.
    Test ok.
    Use WOSQI to install freetether.
    Test ok.
    Use WOSQI to install freetetherd.
    Test ok.
    Read your instruction .....

.... and was a little bit scary because I did not know what postinst script you were talking about and did not know where to search. So I decide to reboot the pre. No error, no hang. I would like to know if the mhs would disappear after the reboot. Ouf!!! It was there. So I decide to put the Jason's patch. Work like a charm.

I am writing this in tethering mode. The last think I have to test will be to disable the developer mode. For the rest all is working as it was in 1.3.5.1.
    So in short:
    I would suggest the following, if you like to give it a shot:

1. Remove Jasons auto enable forwarding patch (if installed)
    2. Remove MHS (if installed)
    3. Remove Free/My/Whatever/Tether (if installed)
    4. Remove /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd if it is there (it was removed by the WebOS 1.4 update, but you may installed it back?)
    5. Install freetetherD by visiting our heros jason post for your device
    6. Install MHS from <<Removed links to illegally distributed software>>
    7. Install the enable auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch from, again our hero jason (so happy he did not leave us)
    8. reboot

I thing the freetether app is not necessary but this guy wrote:
    About freetether I install it as a monitor. I like to see what is going on so the application let me have control over the tethering and the acquisition of ip address. Moreover, I install the application to work in manual mode before installing the Jason's patch. After the patch is install, the application let me see if the patch is working well.
    I tested this solution. The "auto enable ip forwarding patch" did successfully modified new MHS although the code has changed a lot.
    After that, activating the MHS was complaining in the /var/log/messages about freetetherd not available.
    Installed freetetherd
    And tethering was working. Since my provider allows tethering, I can't guarantee, that it will work if yours does not. But as it is the same solution it was on 1.3.5 I guess it will.

So who ever tries it, please let us know about your results.

I'm posting this here and not the GSM section because it may also apply to our Sprint users. But I suspect someone already tried it without success.
    (UPDATE: does not work for Sprint. Thanks Demlor).

Sorry if my english hurts you.

And again:
    Thanks Jason for your work, and thanks you'r not leaving.

EDIT: A guide for "beginners" can be found on Post #18
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/30/2010 at 11:17 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Some update:
    I'v read that an older version of freetether may work if the newest doesn't.
    There are 0.0.1 - 0.0.3 here
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Some update:
    I'v read that an older version of freetether may work if the newest doesn't.
    There are 0.0.1 - 0.0.3 here
    Please share your thoughts here. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...nt-pre-43.html

I'm sure a bunch of people will be interested.
    I just installed it and it works great, I'm with bell. Thank you!

I am going to assume that unless I am connected to wifi, this will use my data plan right?
    "I'm sorry your phone is smarter than you"
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post
    I just installed it and it works great, I'm with bell. Thank you!

I am going to assume that unless I am connected to wifi, this will use my data plan right?
    Correct.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Correct.
    you can't use wifi on pre while tethering because now your pre is an accesspoint. The question is: does your provider wants more money for tethering. I can't guarantie for it, but I assume that's the freetether is for.
    Last edited by somline; 03/13/2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Does not work with Sprint users.
    Keeps saying I need tethering data plan.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Does not work with Sprint users.
    Keeps saying I need tethering data plan.
    Thanks for trying and post. Sad to hear.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i have sprint and this worked thank you sooo much well now it says that i need internet sharing service help
    Last edited by chadm424; 03/14/2010 at 01:24 PM.
  10.    #10  
    The question is: does your provider wants more money for tethering. I can't guarantie for it, but I assume that's the freetether is for.
    Seems like this question is answered for Bell ;-) and freetether does not hide tethering.
    Thanks to the guy pointing me to it.
    Last edited by somline; 03/14/2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Seems like this question is answered for Bell ;-)
    Thanks to the guy pointing me to it.
    I'll bet you Sprint is the next to add plans.
    They will have no choice to.
    They could be charging users for tethering, upping their sales.
    It seems logical.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
  12.    #12  
    I like how 02 is doing it in germany. You have 200Mb free for ca. 9,-€.
    After that you get GSM speed. Don't have to pay more.
    You decide how you reach the 200Mb. With the phone or with tethering.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Dont know if i did anything different but

I got MHS working for my Sprint Pre with 1.4

Using WebOS QI i installed:

freetetherd 0.0.3
    MHS (from the german dudes site)
    auto-enable ip patch

rebooted and ITS ALIVE!!! im posting this connected to my webos network

My pre has about 43 patches on it.. da works.. sooo.. i dont know.. check it out
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Working great on yet another Bell Pre!!!! Thank you!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Just installed it as per your directions and it works. I connected my netbook to my Pre and tested the connection.

It is great that there are people out there that make our Bell Pre's do all the things it is supposed to do out of the box.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    This is awesome, it works perfectly (testing it on my laptop as I post). I thought tethering my EVDO connection over a USB cable would be cool, but this is even better.

Anyone know exactly how Bell bills this? Does it just come out of your normal data allotment? I guess I'll find out either way with next month's bill. :-)
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    Hi,

I have a bell palm pre. and really want to get the tethering working on it.

can anyone point me over to some walkthrough on how to do it?

thanks
  18.    #18  
    I'll try:

On your Computer (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    1. Follow this guide at least until step 5 to install WebOSQuickInstall (WOQI)
    2. Now download this freetetherd here. Save it on your disk.
    4. Download the MHS <<Removed links to illegally distributed software.>> Search for "the bo" on my post. Its a german side but you will find the link.
    5. Download that "enable auto IP forwarding patch"

Now connect your Pre via USB and startup the WebOSQuickinstall (from step1)
    Drag the Freetetherd into the Window of WOQI.
    Push the button "Install"
    Do the same for the MHS.
    Do the same for IP-forwarding patch.
    Disconnect the pre when done.

On the Pre:
    Open the program "Device Info" on the pre.
    Scroll down to "Reset options" and push it
    Tap the the Restart Button.

Now the pre will restart. This takes some minutes.
    Finaly you shuld find an App on your first Page ""Mobile Hotspot"
    Open it.
    Look at the first row of this card: "Network Info". This is the name your pre will use for his Wifi. In the second row insert a password.
    Slide the On/Off switch to on. Wait some seconds. The status of the MHS can be vied on the last row of MHS. After switching on -> "Turning on MHS" to -> "No devices connected"

On a computer:
    Search for a Wifi Network with the same name listet on the first row on MHS.
    Connect your compuer to this network and use the password you filled in the second row of MHS.

On your Pre:
    It should "ding dong" when successfully connected.

On your computer:
    Surf the web

If everything is fine you can turn off developer mode on the pre.

EDIT: Forgot the IP-forwarding patch.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/30/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    On bell. Just installed the mobile hotspot. Didnt work the first time, restarted just the app not the phone, worked fine. strange.... Tested it out on my PC right beside my phone, in my room upstairs in my house. inconsistency with msn, signing in, out, in, out, didn't test any other funcionalities, (i.e. speed tests, web browser, voice communication, etc.)
  20.    #20  
    Did someone try connecting more than one PC to the MHS using this (freetetherd) method?
    The original MHS (using mobilehotspotD) can handle up to 5 connection.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast