1.    #1  
    Hello, I'm new to the forums and to the Pre..Love it! I had a Nexus One but found that there are just too many glitches in Android for my tastes.

My question is: Do any of you know of a good USB Drive icon for Mac OS X when the Pre is connected in drive mode? Also, If there is one, how do you change it? I know how to change icons, but for some reason anything I put in for the mounted USB drive icon just shows up as a blank image marker noting PNG...says this even if i use another format (i've tried icons I use on other drives as well)

...anyways, glad to be onboard and thanks in advance for any replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the forums and to the Pre..Love it! I had a Nexus One but found that there are just too many glitches in Android for my tastes.

My question is: Do any of you know of a good USB Drive icon for Mac OS X when the Pre is connected in drive mode? Also, If there is one, how do you change it? I know how to change icons, but for some reason anything I put in for the mounted USB drive icon just shows up as a blank image marker noting PNG...says this even if i use another format (i've tried icons I use on other drives as well)

...anyways, glad to be onboard and thanks in advance for any replies.
    The file that needs to be replaced is /Volume/PRE/.VolumeIcon.icns which can not be replaced with anything but a .icns file. you can make these files with any file of your own by going to iConvert: Convert ico, icns, and png icons online for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux . I have a phone icon for my icon on my pre which shows very well when the USB is mounted to the OS X desktop.

After a remount the icon did exactly as you said and showed a .icns icon file and not my file... I just never payed attention before.
    Last edited by demetry14; 03/12/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    All you need is a PNG file in OS X. Copy the file, right click the folder you want to change, get info. Click on the icon in the left hand corner, while it is highlighted press CMD + V to paste the PNG over it. All done. This is the icon I use.

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    Do any of you know of a good USB Drive icon for Mac OS X when the Pre is connected in drive mode?
    I'm sure if you asked Apple that same question they'd probably suggest the "Mr Yuck" sticker.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    All you need is a PNG file in OS X. Copy the file, right click the folder you want to change, get info. Click on the icon in the left hand corner, while it is highlighted press CMD + V to paste the PNG over it. All done. This is the icon I use.

Thanks for the response. I've actually attempted this and it won't work on the Pre's mounted drive. Works for all my other icons as i've had them modified for quite some time (I love a uniform look). For whatever reason I can't modify the Palm's mounted drive
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I've been having problems with copying files to my Pre Plus's USB drive, and all of a sudden started having these problems on my regular Pre. Not sure if this was a WebOS 1.4 issue or what...
    I haven't used it in a while, but Candybar used to have an option to change system icons. I haven't used it in years, though it may still be available.