Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Whatever happened to the reported launch of DataViz's Doc to Go for the Pre?.....I know I saw something abt it late last year but nothing since....anyone heard anything?
    To my knowledge, Dataviz has only said that an update is "coming soon." And said update could be just to say that it'll be "sometime in the 2nd half of 2010" or somesuch. Personally, I'm surprised by this. I simply don't understand why Dataviz is delaying this, whether there's some technical challenge or whether they just don't see the business justification yet.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by vel7wil View Post
    Whatever happened to the reported launch of DataViz's Doc to Go for the Pre?.....I know I saw something abt it late last year but nothing since....anyone heard anything?
    Not much.
    Maybe a bit of competition from QuickOffice might encourage them ?
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    To my knowledge, Dataviz has only said that an update is "coming soon." And said update could be just to say that it'll be "sometime in the 2nd half of 2010" or somesuch. Personally, I'm surprised by this. I simply don't understand why Dataviz is delaying this, whether there's some technical challenge or whether they just don't see the business justification yet.
    I also am surprised. When I saw their name listed as a partner at the initial Pre launch I thought it would be available from day one.
    Honestly, I don't think they think
    it is worth their time. They
    are too busy catering to the
    iPhone sheep.
    They have such a strong product with palms OS, it is a shame not to continue with the new!
    If I were developer and looked at the volume of paid Apps purchased
    on Palm Catelog vs the amount of free down loads, I would not spend the time or money. Developers can not give away their Apps forever. The biggest download on Palm Cat. is a free App (Pandora). The Palm Web OS is one big cheap community that is just hot air. Support yoiur Developer, Buys some some Apps. Dataviz is business to make money. My son tells me that Docs to Go is one of the top grossing Apps at Apple. Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgraham98 View Post
    If I were developer and looked at the volume of paid Apps purchased
    on Palm Catelog vs the amount of free down loads, I would not spend the time or money. Developers can not give away their Apps forever. The biggest download on Palm Cat. is a free App (Pandora). The Palm Web OS is one big cheap community that is just hot air. Support yoiur Developer, Buys some some Apps. Dataviz is business to make money. My son tells me that Docs to Go is one of the top grossing Apps at Apple. Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes.
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I for one have been waiting for great productivity apps like Docs To Go to start spending money. In my situation, I only see myself spending money on apps that are truly useful and add to my productivity. I wonder how many other eager buyers are waiting for such apps to come out....
    I'm with Snowdog.

Give me something good and I will buy. I've bought a few games, Milez, and a few other worthwhile apps. If NaN Player ever gets released I'd grab it in a heartbeat, but I'm not wasting money on Shakespearean quotes. Give me solid productivity apps and I will buy them immediately.

I have completely lost faith in Data Viz! I've been with them since my handspring visor with a modem attached, Treo's, Centro etc. To treat this community the way they have is disrespectful. Give me a straight answer as to when, or if you plan to release it. I love my Pre, but would have waited had I known I would take almost a full year, to get zero information from them! This is a product I need, and I'm tired of being Jerk'ed around by these people. If it wasn't for the Palm community they wouldn't be around. Show some freakin respect!
    Sorry I needed to vent.
    I'm involved in building a consumer product and we know our cash customers, we aim that product right at them, last year before the Crash of 09, we also developed products for our secondary markets, with a very little profit. now we can not afford to do so. As we all say, we love our Pre's and Web OS, but we are a secondary market, If Docs to Go is critical, suggest you change devises. I'm happy with Docs to Go View

Sitting on the side lines and saying I'm waiting for this App or another is just going to doom our dream. Give up a can of cola and buy a App, I do this and then S can it.
    DataViz is a big let down. DocsToGo is/was a great tool, that I used quite often on my Centro (& others too).

....but, how much money is to be lost creating and/or porting this app?

As a launch partner, shouldn't it be included with the Pre (as a demo of course)..

so, the real question we should be asking...

hey Palm. Define Launch Partner. And... What steps is Palm taking to move this device into a more document editing machine 'ALL' of your previous devices were considering they 'dataviz' say's your marketshare sucks.

isn't openoffice open? Can it be ported somehow to qt?
    Frankly, I can't believe that it would take that much work for DataViz to port their iPhone app to the webOS with the new PDK (probably more than the "days" we've heard, but I doubt we're talking about 6 months)--and I further can't believe that the public beta is the first time they saw it. I have to think there are some poor relations between Palm and DataViz right now for whatever reason. Otherwise, we'd have had an app. I seriously doubt the investment required to get it is large enough for the potential volume to matter much. If they charged $14.99, they would have 100k takers on about the first day. That would surely recover their initial investment.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I for one have been waiting for great productivity apps like Docs To Go to start spending money. In my situation, I only see myself spending money on apps that are truly useful and add to my productivity. I wonder how many other eager buyers are waiting for such apps to come out....
    There are plenty of useful apps now in the catalog.

And some such as drPodder is only charging .99 cents. on something that should have be $5. And we all wanted that developer to charge more but he resisted.

So I'm sure you can find something that costs no more that .99 cent, less than your Starbucks coffee each day, to show you support.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    For anyone who's interested, I've been using Docs to Go in Classic since June 09

Here's how:

Since I wasn't sure what files the Docs to Go exe put on my old TX, I acted as if I was going to install Docs to Go on the TX again, and then looked at Palm's "Install Tool", which shows what files it wants to install in my TX, and I kept that list and set it aside.

Then I cancelled the install (since it was already on my TX) and then fired up the TX. I used the free program called "FileZ" to navigate to all the Docs to Go files that were previously installed on the TX and that were also on the list that I had just saved from my mock "install." I copied these files to the expansion card on my TX.

Then I took out the expansion card from the TX, and copied these files to the "Install" folder in Classic, while my Pre was in USB mode. Docs to Go installed without a hitch and I've been editing Word docs and spreadsheets since June.

To sync these edited files, I just run Microsoft's free "SyncToy" utility, and when my Pre is in USB mode, I just tell SyncToy to sync the D2G folder on my Pre (Folder inside the Classic folder where all my docs are) with the D2G folder within My Documents on my PC.

It works well enough that I haven't been overly anxious for D2G for WebOS. It helps if your old copy of D2G for Palm OS is recent enough to support native Word and Excel files.
    I paid like $40 plus for Docs2go for Palm OS. I would do the same for a WebOS version in a heartbeat.

I wish Palm would "jumpstart" this project. I delayed several months jumping from a 755p to a Pre because of the lack of document editing. I eventually made the switch because of the ability to get the Palm Os version running on Classic. Also, because of Dataviz's promise that the WebOs version would be out in 2009. But, both Classic and Dataviz have not been too dependable.

After having a Pre for several months I am definitely happy with my choice. But, had I known that I still wouldn't have a editing feature in March 2010, I don't know if I would have made the switch. Then I would never have known how great WebOs really is.

I imagine that no doc edititng is a deal breaker for many business folks considering WebOS.

If Palm & Dataviz are "partners", could Palm help fund the Project?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Maybe a bit of competition from QuickOffice might encourage them ?
    thaaaaaaank yoooouuuu and Sky Fire For Adobe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi Everybody!!!
    I have Documents To Go version 11 (current) on a Tungsten T3. I would love to move my phone and palm to one device and the Pre looks great.

Is version 11 the version you successfully ported?
    I have bought several editions and upgrades of Docs2Go, I see no reason why I'd not buy it for WebOS. I am NOT going to buy it on my BB Tour, for a non touchscreen phone, NO NO NO. I want it on my Pre, where they should have had it long ago.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast