1.    #1  
    I imported the contents of an album as separate mp3 files into a folder I created with the album name. However, the Pre is showing the album as "Unknown - Unknown Artist." I did the same thing with another album and the Pre recognizes it correctly. Can you edit the name of album to change it from unknown or how can I get my Pre to recognize it?
    Have this problem also. Would love to see a suggestion?
    The Pre reads the MP3's tag information (meta data) embedded within the MP3 itself. You need to use a program to modify the MP3's tags. A good program for this is Media Monkey.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    The Pre reads the MP3's tag information (meta data) embedded within the MP3 itself. You need to use a program to modify the MP3's tags. A good program for this is Media Monkey.
    Thanks for the info. Worked perfectly.
    hmm... my mps are all rips from original albums and last checked all the mp3 tags like artist, album are there. Yet palm does seem to recognise some of them and put them as unknown ablum/artist. Even cyndi lauper got this treatment! I even checked the tags in my palm pre itself while in USB mode and confirmed all correct tags are there.

Plus itunes and WM player all recognise the artist and ablums... so the tags must be there!
    The title of the file is not an MP3 tag. iTunes and WMP will guess at the name if there is no tag by reading the filename. Palm's player doesn't do that. It has to have tags embedded within the file itself. iTunes will attempt to put tags on ripped albums, but the database is limited, not all albums are in there.

MediaMonkey does the job for free, and if you want something more flexible and don't mind paying a little bit, Tag and Rename is excellent. Both use FreeDB for the database, Tag and Rename goes a step farther and uses Amazon as well, nice for albums whose songs are out of order.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    The title of the file is not an MP3 tag. iTunes and WMP will guess at the name if there is no tag by reading the filename. Palm's player doesn't do that. It has to have tags embedded within the file itself. iTunes will attempt to put tags on ripped albums, but the database is limited, not all albums are in there.

MediaMonkey does the job for free, and if you want something more flexible and don't mind paying a little bit, Tag and Rename is excellent. Both use FreeDB for the database, Tag and Rename goes a step farther and uses Amazon as well, nice for albums whose songs are out of order.
    I tried freeDB, the problem its American-centric. Don't have much on Japanese, Thai and Taiwanese songs.

I did check the properties of the mp3 and the meta-tags are all there! Really Really!! So I don't know why some will recognise and some will not.

Will try tag and rename and see how it goes. GreaseMonkey have the same problem.. it doesn't work will with Asian characters, so thai, japanese and chinese songs can be screwed up.
    That may be your issue. Try the demo of Tag and Rename, that uses Amazon as well, has a selection for Amazon.jp, you should find your tags there pretty easily. You have to manually set it, but the benefit to that over FreeDB is the songs in the album can be out of order for the search, just make sure you re-order the tags properly once you find the album, otherwise all your tags will be wrong.

Otherwise, the majority of tag editors allow you to do your tagging manually, if no results are found. I've had to do that with several of my older CD's and cassettes ripped to digital, they're old and obscure, not even FreeDB has them.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/29/2010 at 06:14 AM.
    Hey thanks for the suggestion, I download TagRename and all I did was to put the files into Edit and just Save them, didn't do anything further and the next thing I know my pre could see the artists and albums.
    Anyway, I sort of figured out why.

Even though wmp or itunes shows the album and artiste information after ripping the CDs, they are not actually mp3 v2 tags or could be just version 1 (which is not supported by webos). The information are in wmp or itunes own metabase or something like that.

That is why when copying the files to palm pre, it shows as unknown on the player.

To resolve this using itunes, select all your songs, right-click and select "write mp3 tags" and select version 2.4 (minimum is 2.2 I think for palm pre) and now whenever I copy mp3 files to palm pre they show up correctly.