1.    #1  
    I'm not listening to you debbie downer naysayers anymore. I remember very clearly before and right after the Pre was released tons of people saying the Pre could never do serious mobile gaming. Look what we have now...other than the iPhone the Pre is the best mobile phone for games.

Don't underestimate Palm. They have been in this business for a long time. They'll be just fine. WebOS isn't perfect but it is already the best all around phone on the market in my opinion. In time others will notice as well.
    How right you are. Just think in a few months there should be a second generation Pre and talk of a Pre without a keyboard.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    There will even be a pre4 which will be SO advanced it will be capable of setting fire to your hair with it's... THOUGHTSSSSS.....
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    There will even be a pre4 which will be SO advanced it will be capable of setting fire to your hair with it's... THOUGHTSSSSS.....
    Duly noted. Now that you've made a noble attempt at deflection, do you prefer your crow original recipe, or cajun spicey?
    I LOVE my Pre and it pains me to hear people bashing it. Its not a miracle phone and Im sorry that it cant brew your morning coffee and do all the things a 1st generation phone "should" do outof the box. I clearly remember the iphone had hiccups on its initial launch too. How soon we forget about the "data" blackouts, dropped calls, apps freezing, network error messages when people got their hands on the 1st generation iPhone.

We expect too much from our phones. I remember when a cell phone was only used for making phone calls (imagine that!). Now we expect them to be replacements for "all things electronic". We expect them to be our radios...tv...video recorders...music players...work office...personal assistant and concierge...gaming console...pagers...ect. When it fails to do any of these things as we expect them to - it quickly becomes a POS!

Have a little patience my young grasshoppers. All in due time. The Palm Pre may not have all the "craplications" the iPhone has or the shiny ooo- aahhh newness of the Android. But it does have a community of people who admire it for what it has accomplished and all its potential therein.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    seriously, who said it would never do serious mobile gaming?

everyone made a big deal about the phone having the same gpu as the iphone 3gs

everyone knew from the onset that gaming was going to be a significant aspect of their strategy, the question was always when
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    seriously, who said it would never do serious mobile gaming?

everyone made a big deal about the phone having the same gpu as the iphone 3gs

everyone knew from the onset that gaming was going to be a significant aspect of their strategy, the question was always when
    Actually, there were several that harped on the "limitations of WebOS". When others would point out that the games wouldn't need to go directly through the normal WebOS interface, the responses frequently poo-poo'ed them. The "naysayers" generally fell into three camps
    • Palm would never allow the lower level access needed
    • If Palm did allow the lower level access needed, the programs would have to run outside of the card interface.
    • In order to run in the card interface, Palm would have to add access to the GPU to the SDK.

Palm surprised everyone with the final, workable, solutions they came up with.

One of the unfortunate tendencies I've seen in IT people (and I've worked in the IT field for a lot of years) is that they frequently get into a box mode and only look at possibilities within the framework(s) of how things are typically done. Palm thought outside some of those boxes very well this time around.
  8.    #8  
    hparsons hit the nail on the head. I don't know all the jargon but that is exactly what I remember hearing.

Now we just need some equally great productivity apps.