Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's not quite that simple. Most likely, the demo / prototype versions are the size of a netbook or so. It takes a while to get those down to the actual size that they'd be in a device, and then get those mass produced.

Edit:
    Proof of the above- that phone monstrosity is their OMAP4 demo device:

With many more images at: Texas Instruments OMAP4 hands-on - SlashGear
    I agree, but I believe palm can do it. It's just like the pre. We were all sure they could add an micro sd slot but the decision was to bring it out vs extending the build time.

On the other hand, I'd be happier if they showed some prototype that at least shows their work in progress and that they're looking out for build problems very carefully...

I'm hoping for a nice port that could lead to some nice external hardware. That would take out some good bits in the next revision.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvega View Post
    Highly doubtful. OMAP4 isn't expected to be ready for smart phones until 2011 or late 2010 at the earliest. If Palm waits that long to release a new device, there will be no more Palm. If Palm is sticking with Texas Instruments for their chipsets, the best we can hope for is the OMAP3640, which on paper at least, looks like a capable competitor to current snapdragon processors.

That would actually be a nice kick in the pants in terms of specs. However, knowing the way that these things go, we'll probably just get a little polite nudge up to something like the OMAP3440.
    Snapdragon has a 1GHz processor but with a deeper pipeline than 3640's processor. I doubt that it is much better than a 3640 in terms of speed. A 3640 should be much more powerful at the same clock speed, combine that with a more powerful graphics co-processor a 3640 based device would be much better than a snapdragon based design. I hope palm goes the 3640 route at the very least.

I would definitely buy it the very first day if it is an OMAP 4 device (and releases in June/July) time frame otherwise I am going to get an EVO.
    It's not quite that simple. Most likely, the demo / prototype versions are the size of a netbook or so. It takes a while to get those down to the actual size that they'd be in a device, and then get those mass produced.

Edit:
    Proof of the above- that phone monstrosity is their OMAP4 demo device:

With many more images at: Texas Instruments OMAP4 hands-on - SlashGear
    The "monstrosity" that you referred to is a device that has ALL the functions this chipset is capable of. HDMI output, dual screen etc. to name a few.

Most phone do not have every feature functionality available. This is a prototype phone/device to work on OS portion of the phone development process. The actual hardware
    (phone) could/should be smaller. I on the other hand wouldn't mind a 4.3 -5" phone
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 04/02/2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    The "monstrosity" that you referred to is a device that has ALL the functions this chipset is capable of. HDMI output, dual screen etc. to name a few.

Most phone do not have every feature functionality available. This is a prototype phone/device to work on OS portion of the phone development process. The actual hardware
    (phone) could/should be smaller. I on the other hand wouldn't mind a 4.3 -5" phone
    Of course not every phone has every feature. But my point was that generally, the prototype boards are very large, and they have to be shrunk down for a production design.

Last I read, for example, the Tegra 2 SoC was listed at about 5" square (which would most likely be why it's being used in tablets and the Boxee Box before any phones).
    I hope OMAP4 is possible in the next Pre as well, but I pretty much agree with rawvega entirely.
    ARM says their will be Cortex-a9 processers like the omap 4 shipping in 2010 smartphones
    Quote Originally Posted by Iroc371 View Post
    ARM says their will be Cortex-a9 processers like the omap 4 shipping in 2010 smartphones
    And what rawvega said:

OMAP4 isn't expected to be ready for smart phones until 2011 or late 2010 at the earliest.
    ARM might be saying that, but TI has said that OMAP4 will not be ready until Q4 2010 at the earliest. Nvidia has claimed that Tegra2 might be out Q3 2010, but we'll see on that.
    It's defiantly not a Palm, look at the what would be top left of the phone (if that was a pearl) there is an arrow button. Defiantly some other brand, Palm wouldn't get rid of the gestures.
    I wouldn't rule out OMAP4 completely. More sources say "second-half 2010" than anything, and the Blaze dev platform expects "general availability" by mid 2010. Nothing rock-solid though, so who knows.

Another possibility is the unannounced part going into the BeagleBoard MX, something they're calling DM3730. Nothing much on it, except its OMAP3 compatible and >= 720MHz. See here: Annual State of the Beagle Report - Beagle Board | Google Groups
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    heres another picture i found. definitely looks like a palm product to me.

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/ti...i-OMAP4_PR.jpg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12