Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gosh I love the sound of the Pre and I want to buy one, but I'm a bit hesitant. It seems like a really awesome phone/music player/browser. I don't really care much about the battery life issues. What scares me is all of these stories about the phone breaking.

I don't want to have to replace my phone every couple months. I also don't want to have to treat my phone like it's a fragile and precious egg. Help me guys. Is this just a small minority of Pres breaking and people being really vocal about it? Or is there really something fundamentally wrong with the phone's construction? What is your experience?
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    dude get you will love it
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    The phone come with a 12 month warranty. You can also buy insurance for $7 a month.
    Phone is great never had a problem in three months.
    If you aren't into gaming, you might consider the Pixi. Good build quality, excellent keyboard and pretty quick as long as you don't have too many apps open at once. The screen is smaller and I was concerned it would be too small, but I've had no problems.

I could've gone with the Pre, but the Pixi fits my needs and I preferred the form factor. The OS is amazing. It will not disappoint no matter which way you go. Take the plunge. I'm sure there are just as many folks with launch day phones as there are those that have traded them in multiple times.
    buy buy buy buy buy buyb yu byubyb uy buyb uy by bu yub yuby b buy BUY
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There are many people that are still using their launch day Pre's, we have 3 in our family alone. Like I said before, forums attract unhappy customers like a street light attracts bugs, just a fact of life. What you are seeing in this forum is not a true reading in the real world. I read a while back that the return rate for the Pre at Sprint was about the same as all of their other smartphones. Yeah, the dumbphones may have a smaller return rate, but their are many more things that can break/go wrong on a smartphone.
    I had the same fear, however my Verizon Pre Plus has been great and very sturdy. Coming from Droid, I LOVE the Pre WAY more. So much fun, but also very functional for the business day-to-days.

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    it's a small minority.
  10.    #10  
    I'm scared by the posts on here about screen cracks and stuff, but it also worries me that the sprint rep complained that he's constantly fixing or replacing Pres.
    Owner Status: Decided and pants-shtingly excited to get my hands on my new phone
    If you're this patient to wait this long for a new phone, you should really consider waiting for the summer. Not only will there be new phones released, but new phones announced. Then you can get the best phone that suites your needs, and i'm not just talking about a new webOS device, but anything that fits your needs.

Really its your choice that will make you happy, nobody knows you better then you.
    I do think the build quality issues are way overblown on this forum. I have had no problems with mine since August. I would however recommend treating the phone well, since it is an expensive little computer. Buy it, you won't regret it!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoureATowel View Post
    I'm scared by the posts on here about screen cracks and stuff, but it also worries me that the sprint rep complained that he's constantly fixing or replacing Pres.
    All phones have problems, HTC, Apple, Blackberry... If you go to each forum, you will find a common problem/annoyance from everyone. Most forums you go to will be more about technical issues/questions then praise. So I wouldn't let these posts scare you too much. I'll be honest, I'm on my 3rd pre, but wasn't from what is commonly discussed around here; Oreo effect, restarts, battery issues. Most of my experience with the Pre is very positive, which is why I started my website (see sig).

So just keep that in mind when you shop around for any phone. Man made = not perfect. Product forums will not always have praise; you'll find praise in review sites more than a technical forum.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    If you're this patient to wait this long for a new phone, you should really consider waiting for the summer. Not only will there be new phones released, but new phones announced. Then you can get the best phone that suites your needs, and i'm not just talking about a new webOS device, but anything that fits your needs.

Really its your choice that will make you happy, nobody knows you better then you.
    I recently had my iPod stolen, so I've decided to get a multipurpose device to replace it. I'm not super patient. I want something soon, and I'm deciding between the Pre and the Moment. The Moment isn't nearly as exciting to me but it seems more dependable.
    Owner Status: Decided and pants-shtingly excited to get my hands on my new phone
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I have had mine since October with no issues at all... Love my phone and so glad I did not get the Hero.
    I recently had my iPod stolen, so I've decided to get a multipurpose device to replace it. I'm not super patient. I want something soon, and I'm deciding between the Pre and the Moment. The Moment isn't nearly as exciting to me but it seems more dependable.
    Samsung did a good job when making that phone. I've actually used it out of curiosity with the Android platform. It's a nice piece of hardware, with a power CPU. I wasn't getting excited because of the screen, it maybe OLED, but it had the worst bluish haze to it that was very noticeable when comparing to the hero.

Have you played with the devices yet?

Reason why I chose the Pre, was the whole multi-tasking metaphor and notifications. I'm seriously spoiled with notifications and how it switches from different apps. Developers on both iPhone, Windows Mobile and Android are conjuring up some clones just to get the look of what the pre does.

I'm a heavy tech user, and I was on the fence when the Pre was announced and release. I was thinking that I would never go away from Windows Mobile, and Android was the next option. Until I actually touched the Pre, it was game over.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Samsung did a good job when making that phone. I've actually used it out of curiosity with the Android platform. It's a nice piece of hardware, with a power CPU. I wasn't getting excited because of the screen, it maybe OLED, but it had the worst bluish haze to it that was very noticeable when comparing to the hero.

Have you played with the devices yet?
    Actually I've read a boatload of reviews but I haven't handled them. Is that a mistake?
    Actually I've read a boatload of reviews but I haven't handled them. Is that a mistake?
    not necessarily, but the Moment is very underwhelming looking in person and some people prefer Android over WebOS, and vice versa. Giving yourself some hands on time is the only way to tell which you'd rather.
    If you look at my first posts, they were the same as yours. Wanting the Pre, but being nervous about build issues. I bit the bullet and took the plunge... and I am SO happy I did! The phone is great, but the OS is simply awesome. I almost got the Hero instead of the Pre and I know without a doubt I got the better device. My coworker got the Hero the same week and now 2 of the other IT guys at work want the Pre after playing with both. Take the step and you will be happy you did
    I work at a sams club cell phone kiosk and so i get to use android devices everyday.
    Personally i have the pre, and i love it.
    before i bought the pre however, i sat and used both devices and compared them every day. The reason i chose the pre over the android phones was mainly because the pre has multi tasking and a multi touch screen, and those were the game winners for me. I love the pinch zoom feature on the browser, i can not stand the zoom arrows on the android devices.
    just my 2 cents
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast