Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Imagine if the Pre landed today simultaneously on Sprint and Verizon. With Flash beta installed out of the box, 3D gaming as a real possibility, Video Recording, and all the other 1.4 goodies.

I think Palm has done some incredible things in the past few months that make me love the phone I already loved that much more... however, we all know that Palm is struggling and it is largely because these very things were missing from the outset. I can't help but wonder if Palm should have waited another half-year and launched the Pre around now.
    they couldnt afford to have waited
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    they couldnt afford to have waited
    +1. Yeah, Palm is struggling now, but they were "struggling" before. Every day that Pre/Pixi/WebOS has been out there is another day of marketing and press for Palm. They have limited cash and they have to sell some units. Waiting would have been an all-or-nothing thing (which it almost was anyway) and the kiss-of-death IMHO.
    The Pre launched too late. WebOS launched too early.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The Pre launched too late. WebOS launched too early.
    Although I'm sure that's meant to be pithy and also profound, it really makes no sense. Care to elaborate?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Honestly, I am glad that Pre released when it did, but I am an early adopter. There are certain things that you expect when you are an early adopter, problems issues and innovation. The Pre release is no different that the Palm OS Phone release (Treos) Same kind of issues same kind of growth.

For that matter all of technology works that way wether it be snow Leopard or a Digital Camera, Blue Ray player. Neptune Front load washer... The early adopters get all the quirks.

There is nothing about the Web OS or Pre release that I know now, that would have made me want it less on Day 1.

I am an early adopter, Early adopters should assume risk. I am happy with my decisions.
    what im getting out of it is palm waited too long to get their next phone out but not long enough to mature webos
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Although I'm sure that's meant to be pithy and also profound, it really makes no sense. Care to elaborate?
    Neither was intended, and I thought it was fairly obvious.

The device (Pre) needed to launch in a soft market devoid of competition and hot on Palm CES hype took six months to launch, by which time, those advantages had dissipated.

The software (WebOS) needed more time in the oven to make an incredible first impression as the OP alluded to, and thus underwhelmed too many people who expected more than what they saw at CES with a whopping six months of additional development time.
    I see ur point, and wonder about that myself. That being said, if I ask myself what phone I would go to, well... cant think of one. I too put up with the malarky on the earlier Treos but I really really like how open source these boxes have been and that's what keeps me here. It's just so dang much fun..... !
    My opinion is if they would waited and had the Pre at least to what we have in 1.4, the return rate would gave been much smaller. I know so many folks that didn't wanna root or do any homebrew fun and returned their Pre's. We here on Precentral are an elite group of folks. Lets just call the others, regular people who just wanna turn the device on and use it. So whats worse not being able to afford to wait, or not being able to afford the return rate and the bad PRPRPR.. $I$ $say$ $they$ $should$ $have$ $waited$ $maybe$ $a$ $few$ $more$ $months$..
    Just my thoughts.. What are yours?
    Last edited by maddball; 03/11/2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    What would have been best is if Palm had released it about three weeks before the iPhone originally came out. Unfortunately, much like the suggestions above, that wasn't an option. I strongly suspect that Palm got the hardware out as quickly as they could get it built and an OS made, and waited for WebOS to mature for as long as they could afford to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What would have been best is if Palm had released it about three weeks before the iPhone originally came out. Unfortunately, much like the suggestions above, that wasn't an option. I strongly suspect that Palm got the hardware out as quickly as they could get it built and an OS made, and waited for WebOS to mature for as long as they could afford to wait.
    My big complaint and wonderment, is why did it take palm so long to begin to catch up? I have never understood how a few guys here, were able to incorporate so quickly, so many things that webos was missing, while palm, with professional programmers, that built webos, spent so long seemingly doing nothing. I know several people that didnt buy it, due to video and text forwarding. Even seen a girl, while I was at sprint, come in with a friend to buy the pre, then after messing with it and realizing how much it lacked, her friend was laughing at her and they left, forwarding texts was one gripe of theirs. But considering they've almost put themselves outta business once....
    Palm HAD to announce and release when they did. The wolf was not only at their door, it was aleady feasting inside their chicken coop. Apple, by comparison, had all the time in the world. The market was staid and going nowhere in 1997.
    you have to have the system in the market to allow it to mature. i think the phone came at a great time when it did, maybe it could have came earlier.

i can live with out the extras, as i call it now, as all i really intended the phone to do was call, surf, email and text for the most part. the rest for me is great and i will use it when i get the chance but can live without it also.

kinda like mayonnaise and ice cream. great if you can do it but i can eat ice cream alone too just fine.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karishbhr View Post
    Imagine if the Pre landed today simultaneously on Sprint and Verizon. With Flash beta installed out of the box, 3D gaming as a real possibility, Video Recording, and all the other 1.4 goodies.

I think Palm has done some incredible things in the past few months that make me love the phone I already loved that much more... however, we all know that Palm is struggling and it is largely because these very things were missing from the outset. I can't help but wonder if Palm should have waited another half-year and launched the Pre around now.
    Actually they waited to long to launch, should have done it sooner with webos 1.0