Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well that was a pleasant surprise. I knew Palm had some seminars here, but they also have a huge booth on display as well. I got a chance to try the Flash beta as well as some games and talk to some of the reps.

First, Flash. The first thing I did was goto hypem.com as that is the site I was most excited to use once the plugin is released. It worked very well. The bottom bar floats in the middle of the page, sorta like Facebook's chat bar does if you goto the full Facebook page on the Pre. Then I went to trailer-addict.com to watch a trailer. The site loaded fast, including flash ads, but once I tried to play a video it was extremely chuggy. The important thing to remember is that videos on this site play like **** on my netbook as well.

When I asked him when the plugin would be released, he told me it was up to Adobe at this point, but that they are just waiting for the "go" and it could be up in as close to a week.

Now onto games. They had almost every 3D game loaded, including Shrek Kart which was JUST released. I asked the rep when we can expect to see N.O.V.A., but he wouldn't bite. What he did say is that Gameloft plans to port "every" one of their iPhone titles to the Pre... so it's coming. He also said that Gameloft is happier with their short time with the Pre than they have been in all their time developing for Android.

I'll be here tomorrow and Saturday so if anyone has anything specific for me to check out, lemme know.
    What I'm curious to know is what about that site Runescape, would that work?
    I think it's flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by karishbhr View Post
    He also said that Gameloft is happier with their short time with the Pre than they have been in all their time developing for Android.
    Thanks for the report. This last bit is what I like the best: we need a few more developers like Gameloft to talk about how great is the Palm/webOS/PDK development experience. The more buzz we get around this the more traction the platform will get.

I really am amazed at how brilliant Palm's developer strategy has been so far. Easy to write Mojo apps, Ares, now the PDK and incredibly quick (and cost-effective) porting from the most popular platforms, coupled with a very developer-friendly distribution platform (formal App Catalog, easy sideloading, etc.)... If Palm doesn't make it, nobody can say that they haven't done some really smart things.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    What I'm curious to know is what about that site Runescape, would that work?
    I think it's flash.
    It's Java
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    would you ask about the "elan" phone or the c40 ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Uh oh, here we go again with a rumored date for something.

Hopefully people will keep in mind that the rep seems to have been speculating, not saying a definite date.
    Nice post. Very informative. I'm wondering about more specifics on the flash performance.

If you go to a place like Craftymind GUIMark Home for example, how many FPS does it average on the Flex 3 flash benchmark?
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    It's Java
    Ah, that's right.
    how about hulu and gamespot. Both of those use flash...

Oh and btw; thanks for your info!
    Last edited by groovdafied; 03/11/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Hulu doesnt want Hulu on mobile devices.
    Kongregate?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If Palm doesn't make it, nobody can say that they haven't done some really smart things.
    Oh ... people can and do all the time

But I absolutely agree with you. Palm has done, in a very short period of time, a terrific job of trying to get developers interested. They've had a few missteps along the way, but overall the commitment and effort to make developers feel wanted, and make it easy, has been phenomenal IMO. And the "openness" of WebOS (support of homebrew) has made it feel very friendly (as opposed to you-know-who).
    I am also curious about Kongregate. Some of my favorite games ever are on there. I will be happy if just the game loads too - I don't need the chat, high scores, or achievements when I am playing on the go..