Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I hope that they won't show too much of stuff that Apple has already done. While it'll be nice to show how easily iPhone stuff can be ported, at the same time it gives the appearance of it being an also-ran. As in "oh look, the Pre can do stuff the iPhone was doing last year, nice". Don't get me wrong, I love how iPhone stuff can be ported. However, perception is everything for Palm right now, since their biggest problem right now is that of image.

They need to show the unique capabilities of the PDK for gaming more than they need to show the porting, in my opinion.
    I don't think it's necessarily just to say "Oh look the pre can do what the iphone can do ...too", but it's a testament to the possibilities of the PDK. It's also a quick way to draw in all those developers that made everything specifically for the iphone - now they can jump on the webos bandwagon with less effort. I agree they should be showing off what the PDK can do - aside from just create ports of already created games (but that would likely draw in a lot of developers as the major app platform is the iphone). They should also emphasize that the PDK is not just for porting, but for creating from scratch in a language other than the standard javascript/html/css.
    Quote Originally Posted by von11 View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily just to say "Oh look the pre can do what the iphone can do ...too", but it's a testament to the possibilities of the PDK. It's also a quick way to draw in all those developers that made everything specifically for the iphone - now they can jump on the webos bandwagon with less effort. I agree they should be showing off what the PDK can do - aside from just create ports of already created games (but that would likely draw in a lot of developers as the major app platform is the iphone). They should also emphasize that the PDK is not just for porting, but for creating from scratch in a language other than the standard javascript/html/css.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I agree. But I think that there's going to be people who react that way if that's all they show with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I also played the Flash beta. It was pretty nice. Hulu worked great!
    i still don't believe you. so he said there will be a bigger screen?! are you toying with me?!!!!!!!!!!! are they going to announce new hardware then??? doesn't sound kosher to do it there.
    I also played the Flash beta. It was pretty nice. Hulu worked great!
    someone said hulu wasnt supported with the flash on mobile devices? and if you are there ask them about Elan!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I hope that they won't show too much of stuff that Apple has already done. While it'll be nice to show how easily iPhone stuff can be ported, at the same time it gives the appearance of it being an also-ran. As in "oh look, the Pre can do stuff the iPhone was doing last year, nice". Don't get me wrong, I love how iPhone stuff can be ported. However, perception is everything for Palm right now, since their biggest problem right now is that of image.

They need to show the unique capabilities of the PDK for gaming more than they need to show the porting, in my opinion.
    J you're looking at it the wrong way. Iphone developers don't know what the PDK can do. So it is necessary for Palm to show off some of the ported apps. Sure the Iphone did it last year but webOS didn't come out until the summer of 2009. Also, the Iphone is seen as the big dog of mobile phone gaming. To say that webOS can do what the Iphone can do is necessary for Palm's image.

Android can't claim that. If Palm can gain notice by doing something the Iphone did last year, good for them. Better than not being able to do it. And it does help Palm's image b/c it shows developers that webOS is very flexible. You can create how you want. Its called freedom.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    i still don't believe you. so he said there will be a bigger screen?! are you toying with me?!!!!!!!!!!! are they going to announce new hardware then??? doesn't sound kosher to do it there.
    I highly doubt they would announce a new phone there, more likely just hint at one. Regarding the bigger screen on a new phone, I remember a few months back someone else on this board had a flight with a Palm rep who essentially said the same thing.
  7.    #27  
    The possibilities are endless. Just hope Palm bring it big and wow everyone there.

doubt hardware will be the main focus but a hint at something upcoming would get our curiosity flowing nicely.

And i wonder what version of webOS we'll be running by the time all these new apps are ready to be unleashed on us.? 1.5 or 1.6.

Someone start a poll.....
    Ok, I was starting to believe Kev1000000 about his demoing Flash until he said Hulu worked great. It's already been reported by several sites that Hulu doesn't work on the new Flash. Nice try at stirring the pot!
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    J you're looking at it the wrong way. Iphone developers don't know what the PDK can do. So it is necessary for Palm to show off some of the ported apps. Sure the Iphone did it last year but webOS didn't come out until the summer of 2009. Also, the Iphone is seen as the big dog of mobile phone gaming. To say that webOS can do what the Iphone can do is necessary for Palm's image.

Android can't claim that. If Palm can gain notice by doing something the Iphone did last year, good for them. Better than not being able to do it. And it does help Palm's image b/c it shows developers that webOS is very flexible. You can create how you want. Its called freedom.
    You don't give a huge presentation by showing things how you can do things the other guys do. You give a huge presentation by showing things the other guys do and then saying "but this is how we do it better." (And despite being a gaming conference and gaming not being webOS' primary use, the conference is still pretty huge because Palm needs good news right now, with all of the death watches and the like from analysts). Like I said, I really think they need to spend a small portion of the talk on iPhone ports, especially since they've already discussed that a little bit, and then instead talk about the advantages of their platform over the competition.

In other words, they need to talk about creating original content, Mojo / PDK hybrid applications, and PDK applications that use the Pre/Pixi's unique features better than the competition.

It doesn't matter if what happens as a result of this is only that more iPhone stuff gets ported over. But unlike most of us here, the general population still needs to be convinced that webOS is a superior platform, not just a copycat platform. Showing iPhone ports just won't do that... especially an application like N.O.V.A. that has already been featured in Apple presentations. At the very least, they need to choose to spotlight games that Apple hasn't already spotlighted.

Oh, and as for a new device, I don't expect anything other than a passing mention, Palm can't afford to cannibalize sales. Besides that, it's not really the venue for it at GDC. Maybe at CTIA at the end of the month we'll hear more about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Ok, I was starting to believe Kev about his demoing Flash until he said Hulu worked great. It's already been reported by several sites that Hulu doesn't work on the new Flash. Nice try at stirring the pot!
    It worked fine. I tried it specifically because I heard the same thing. I'll snap a pic later of it working.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I believe Kev.

Maybe hulu isn't suppose to work or is planning to be able to detect mobile platforms and lock them out, but I believe kev if he said he saw it work.

Regarding GDC - I bet they will talk about Flash heavily, since flash is like an automatic gaming platform with a huge library of existing games (which will be games not on the iphone).
    Well, the one guy I talked to seemed to feel my pain, which is why he said what he did. New carriers, new devices, and new development platforms. I really see 2010 as the year for Palm.
    Be still my beating heart!
    yay! unreal and other goodies! cant wait for tomorrow at 3:00 pacific for palm's presentation
    LOL, I was at GDC all day today and I didn't even know Palm had Flash running on their phones. I just went up to two of the reps there and asked about any upcoming webOS phones and both of them said they're too low in the Palm ranks to know anything about it. I guess I'll play with the Flash stuff tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    I think C40 is gonna be Palms Version of the IPad.
    As it turns out, my contract for my Centro with V is up in Oct. V will let me upgrade to a Pre Plus in Aug. However, Sprint's rate plan is cheaper. Therefore, I decided to wait until Oct and switch to Sprint to get what will be by then, (for lack of other name), the Pre II. Unless the Elan, what ever that it is more interesting. I also have to look into At&T's rate structure as compared to Sprint and V.

Now back to the PDK, is Palm making a MAJOR PUSH with App companies to get behind the Pre? A great deal of the chatter on this site, and others about the PDK is way over my head.

I assume that PDK, is the software or language that allows one to easlity write apps and/or convert apps for dare I say the "I" word, IPhone.

Take care all, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    a friend of mine is at GDC and told me he saw a new palm device that had a bigger screen and no physical keyboard.
  17.    #37  
    we need photographic evidence before we start any hype....
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    i dont think he is allowed to take pictures until it is officially announced. hopefully during there keynote later today. he also said it had haptic feedback.
    awww man...i hate haptic feedback...i hope that can b turned off lol...
    will we be able to watch this live anywhere online?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast