Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    The App Catalog asks for a credit card - so I'm going to assume that if I buy a $0.99 app, that my card will be charged a lowly $0.99; most credit card processing companies charge anywhere between $0.10 and $0.25 per transaction in addition to a % fee (sometimes as high as 5%). This could potentially be $0.30 in fees for a $0.99 purchase.

On a side note - is there a way to buy an app catalog gift card (kind of like an itunes gift card) ?
    i just get charged 99 cents...
    well there is a different issue with the app catalog and payments that i submitted to palm where you can get free apps .. so hopefully it gets resolved.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    i just get charged 99 cents...
    I was talking about Palm getting charged the fees - not the buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTWeb View Post
    I was talking about Palm getting charged the fees - not the buyer.
    My BAD sorry
    I had it added to my Sprint (and mind you I've only purchased 1 app and have since gotten rid of it) bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I had it added to my Sprint (and mind you I've only purchased 1 app and have since gotten rid of it) bill.
    ????????????? How???????????????
    I don't know how I did it. It was right when I got the Pre and actually paid for an 99 app. It didn't ask me for a credit card and it just appeared on my Sprint bill the next month. (I think it was in November)
    Credit card processing companies have special "discount rates" setup for online merchants, specially those accepting "micro-transactions" (well, some apps are well over $.99, but it still applies).

For these merchants, the processing companies (actually, the acquirers) have much lower rates setup than those charged against brick and mortar retailers.

Also, there is no per-transaction fee of $.20, $.30, etc. The fee is a percentage of the transaction -nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 03/11/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Again I don't know how it happened but I was purchasing the 'virtual keyboard' application (which I hated and uninstalled) and it never asked for a credit card. It just appeared on my Sprint bill the next month.

I haven't tried to buy one since.
    Not to burst any bubbles or discount your issue, but...not possible.

It's likely you was charged for something else on your bill and maybe you have correlated the two together.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I don't know how I did it. It was right when I got the Pre and actually paid for an 99 app. It didn't ask me for a credit card and it just appeared on my Sprint bill the next month. (I think it was in November)
    When you have a chance, open up the App Catalog, go to Preferences & Accounts from the top menu and check what's listed under the "Account" field. The only option is to enter a MasterCard or Visa card -there's no option for even an AMEX or Discover.
    Again I don't know how it happened but I was purchasing the 'virtual keyboard' application (which I hated and uninstalled) and it never asked for a credit card. It just appeared on my Sprint bill the next month.

I haven't tried to buy one since.
    Not an official palm application. It's likely you are tying the 99 cent charge to your bill to this even though it isn't
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I just tried now and it is asking for a credit card. Hmmmmmmm makes me wonder what happened when I did it before.
    Is everyone else also being charged a 6% sales tax? I know that the states are allowed to recoup sales tax money on purchases, but aside from the Palm App Store I have never had my state sales tax added into the purchase ahead of time. Just wondering if everyone was: A. Being charged the 6% rate (which is the customary rate here in WV)
    B. If people in different areas are charged differing amounts
    C. If I am being ripped off for 6% lol

I only ask because I noticed some people saying that they were only charged $0.99 for an App.
    Quote Originally Posted by banoggy2008 View Post
    Is everyone else also being charged a 6% sales tax? I know that the states are allowed to recoup sales tax money on purchases, but aside from the Palm App Store I have never had my state sales tax added into the purchase ahead of time. Just wondering if everyone was: A. Being charged the 6% rate (which is the customary rate here in WV)
    B. If people in different areas are charged differing amounts
    C. If I am being ripped off for 6% lol

I only ask because I noticed some people saying that they were only charged $0.99 for an App.
    It depends where you reside. If Sprint or Palm have offices in WV they may have decided to tax WV residents. I think its bogus but corporate bean counters are notorious for over-complying with tax law when it comes to internet based transactions and you get the shaft.

I didn't get taxed on my last purchase 2 days ago.
    Isn't Sprint based in WV? If that's the case, then they have to charge sales taxes on sales to WV residents.

/edit: Nope, HQ is in Kansas...
    I just tried now and it is asking for a credit card. Hmmmmmmm makes me wonder what happened when I did it before.
    i know what happened ... and its in relation to my earlier post http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...71#post2300137