1.    #1  
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yeah, good ole' Associated Press. This will be widely read, but I doubt many reading it will be surprised. Palm just needs to get this bad news call next Thursday over with, and reveal some concrete leaks/news/whatever on its next handset. We can post mortem the first nine months all day, but the point is...they weren't good enough by a long shot.

I'm sure...or at least, I hope, they are well under way toward changing the hardware aspect of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah, good ole' Associated Press. This will be widely read, but I doubt many reading it will be surprised. Palm just needs to get this bad news call next Thursday over with, and reveal some concrete leaks/news/whatever on its next handset. We can post mortem the first nine months all day, but the point is...they weren't good enough by a long shot.

I'm sure...or at least, I hope, they are well under way toward changing the hardware aspect of WebOS.
    Here Here!
    Wifi Media Sync 3.0 now available for PC and Mac OSX.
    The only tough thing is, they have to leak information about a promising new device, while at the same time not cannibalizing their existing sales. I'm not sure, it's a tricky situation. While probably nearly impossible to pull off, maybe it'd be better for them to pull another trick from the Apple playbook whenever they release a new device:

"This is our new <blah> and the best news is, you can get this today."
  5.    #5  
    Hear, hear. I think Palm dropped the ball by not releasing the Pre for six months after the announcement, and right around the time the hoopla for the iPhone 3Gs was taking off. If this phone had been available in March or even April, it would be a totally differnent story, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The only tough thing is, they have to leak information about a promising new device, while at the same time not cannibalizing their existing sales. I'm not sure, it's a tricky situation. While probably nearly impossible to pull off, maybe it'd be better for them to pull another trick from the Apple playbook whenever they release a new device:

"This is our new <blah> and the best news is, you can get this today."
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Hear, hear. I think Palm dropped the ball by not releasing the Pre for six months after the announcement, and right around the time the hoopla for the iPhone 3Gs was taking off. If this phone had been available in March or even April, it would be a totally differnent story, IMHO.
    Well, the first time around, if they released in March or April, they'd probably have had an OS that was even more limited than the initial release was for many I think. At least this time, they've got the OS to where most wouldn't really call it a beta or unfinished product any more, so they have more leeway for something like that.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Palm spokesman Derick Mains said the company had no comment.

I work in Public Relations, and I’m sorry to see that Palm took the “no comment” approach.

Especially in negative\bad news stories, it is absolutely critical to add your message point to the story. Now, and as written, Palm looks like they are agreeing at best, and giving up at worst.

A simple comment like, “The smart phone market is only just experiencing rapid growth, and Palm is doing everything it can to position itself for a strong future by focusing on offering the best possible OS experience in the market” would have gone a long way to help Palm look engaged and positive.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Well, the first time around, if they released in March or April, they'd probably have had an OS that was even more limited than the initial release was for many I think. At least this time, they've got the OS to where most wouldn't really call it a beta or unfinished product any more, so they have more leeway for something like that.
    I have to agree. I think June was even pushing it but they just couldn't afford to burn through more money. Truth is if they could have afforded it, they should have waited till now to release it. A more mature webOS exists now and having more time to get the hardware up to spec wouldn't have hurt either.
    Well-

After I finished reading the article on my Pre, i left that card to come back to this card to write a response in this thread. This would be touted as "multitasking".
    Except, of course, when i got back to this card, IT WAS GRAYED OUT AND SELF REFRESHED, THUS LOGGING ME OUT of PreCentral -- AS USUAL!

Need i say more??
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well-

After I finished reading the article on my Pre, i left that card to come back to this card to write a response in this thread. This would be touted as "multitasking".
    Except, of course, when i got back to this card, IT WAS GRAYED OUT AND SELF REFRESHED, THUS LOGGING ME OUT of PreCentral -- AS USUAL!

Need i say more??
    Do you click on the tick box to stay logged in (or remember login info, whatever the prompt was) when you log into this site?

I never log in, on my Pre or on my PC, unless I clear cache and cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Do you click on the tick box to stay logged in (or remember login info, whatever the prompt was) when you log into this site?

I never log in, on my Pre or on my PC, unless I clear cache and cookies.
    No, but that's not the point.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Interesting seeing Dubinsky and Hawkins name in the article....particularly Hawkins. I've always loved their story in the early Palm days, how they invented it, and how they reinvented it with Handspring.

Reading this makes me with they were back in the mix.....they seem to know the chemistry to success with Palm.

I am hoping like anyone else here that this new marketing push they are doing works.

I haven't seen anything yet other than the new commercial and hearing about billboard advertising (I personally haven't seen any)

I really do want to see them succeed.
    Honestly, Hawkins doesn't care any more about phones, in my opinion. Basically, Hawkins had this great new concept that he was concentrating on at the time, which turned into the Foleo (though I still honestly believe there was more to his idea than what the Foleo was, it was just the best they could do with the concept at the time). But even then he was devoting most of his time and effort to his brain research and Numenta.

After the Elevation buyout and Foleo cancellation, Hawkins just ended up concentrating more on Numenta, and I think he's happier concentrating on that research, considering even when he started up Palm, the initial idea was to work there for a few years and then switch to brain research. There was a really good presentation on all that the he did about a year ago, but I can't remember the link.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    As something of a novice smartphone user I would say that seeing this OS grow into a more powerful one with every update has not been very painful. Sure, there were things that needed to be addressed, but for the most part they have been. We've gotten more tools and marginally better performance every step of the way. I've been quite happy.

I understand that others on this site are far more advanced when it comes to this and other technology. I also understand that the market pressure to get out and compete must be unbearable, not to mention the pressure from existing customers to churn out something new and great.

I often wonder how closely Palm monitors these forums. Do they have a dedicated person to scan the boards and take the temperature of the users? If so, it must have been at about 200 degrees before 1.4 dropped. We migh be our own worst enemies!!

It's been said before but bears repeating: flashy, compelling marketting would go a long way towards a turn around. Seriously, webOS is SO MUCH more elegant than iphoneOS in so many ways, yet they continue to dominate. The battel for hearts and minds has nothing to do with reality. Just ask G.W.!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    No, but that's not the point.
    What was the point? You mentioned "touted as multi-tasking" as if this somehow indicates that it isn't multi-tasking. Yes, the Pre will refresh web sites when they're switched, but it's a known feature (and yes, it's a feature, not a bug - I don't like the feature either, but the OS is making it happen). Guess I'm more of the camp that says "if you know about something, and have workable work-around, use it".
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    @ jstew10 lol everytime I see your profile pic. It's freaking hilarious to see a grown man cry.
    Honestly, Hawkins doesn't care any more about phones, in my opinion. Basically, Hawkins had this great new concept that he was concentrating on at the time, which turned into the Foleo (though I still honestly believe there was more to his idea than what the Foleo was, it was just the best they could do with the concept at the time). But even then he was devoting most of his time and effort to his brain research and Numenta.
    I found the inclusion of Hawkins interesting as well. Let's face it, the innovation that was the "hallmark" of Palm had a lot to do with luck.

The success of Palm's PDA wasn't the fact that it was a PDA, but that it was a simple to use, powerful device, that could have additional functionality added to the machine through additional applications (yeah, we called them applications back then).

There were better, more powerful PDAs at that time (I liked my Sharp Wizard better than my first Palm III, initially). It was the expandability of the basic device that made it popular. It was the ease of use that made it more popular that the Windows CS units that tried to compete.

Personally, I felt that Palm had pretty much run the course, until Handspring added a new device for their Visors that gave it cellphone capabilities. This was pretty much the birth of the smartphone. I could be wrong, but I don't think that was the intention when Handspring came up with the Springboard Expansion port. It was just one of those things they happened into.
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/11/2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Here is a fantastic article on what Palm did wrong as the example the author uses to explain what Apple (and Google) did well with their product launches.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/mow...bs-Decline.htm
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/15/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    By the way, another way to "save Palm" would be to introduce a Pre-XL with a bigger screen. As much as I like the tiny Pre footprint, my eyesight could really use a bigger screen - especially when I'm driving... -grin-

Seriously, I personally don't care so much about 4G. First, it will be spotty coverage for a long enough time that my current contract will be ready for renewal. The 4G map will look as sparse as the AT&T 3G map in the Verizon commercials. I don't want it until I can get good coverage because I travel so much... Early 4G devices won't sell in volume because the early adopter population will be small, especially while the only 4G choice is Sprint. Not that Sprint is bad, but they aren't going to leap to #1 market share any time soon, and that is proof that network speed isn't going to drive mass adoption - or Sprint would already be #1 because they already have some 4G deployed...

Also, I think Verizon is doing the right thing by going straight to LTE. I would be willing to adopt LTE with spotty coverage once Verizon launches it. My current contract will be far enough along that I can wait for that, and the killer phones that will launch simultaneously with their LTE service.

Also, carriers are starting to charge more for data usage, and they will probably charge even MORE for faster pipes... so 3G may be sufficient for most of us. And lets not forget that the faster networks absolutely KILL your battery. Turning off the 3G radio in the iPhone is a legendary way to improve battery life (and besides, their 3G coverage is so sparse that you can't connect to it anyway...)

AT&T hasn't been wining with the message that they have "a faster 3G experience" and I don't think will win with "the first and fastest 4G network" either.

As of now, I think the Verizon 3G experience is better than Sprint or AT&T for my needs (don't flame me, this is my opinion) because I get more consistent and reliable usage for the way I use my phone...

That's just my opinion, and the only thing I'm really an expert on is my opion. I know a lot about my opinion, but probably not much else...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/15/2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I found the inclusion of Hawkins interesting as well. Let's face it, the innovation that was the "hallmark" of Palm had a lot to do with luck.

The success of Palm's PDA wasn't the fact that it was a PDA, but that it was a simple to use, powerful device, that could have additional functionality added to the machine through additional applications (yeah, we called them applications back then).

There were better, more powerful PDAs at that time (I liked my Sharp Wizard better than my first Palm III, initially). It was the expandability of the basic device that made it popular. It was the ease of use that made it more popular that the Windows CS units that tried to compete.

Personally, I felt that Palm had pretty much run the course, until Handspring added a new device for their Visors that gave it cellphone capabilities. This was pretty much the birth of the smartphone. I could be wrong, but I don't think that was the intention when Handspring came up with the Springboard Expansion port. It was just one of those things they happened into.
    That's true to an extent... but frankly I think PalmOS still is the best contact and calendar platform on the planet - although the nascent WebOS is coming up fast...

That's why they dominated the PDA space. They had far superior functionality for the things PDA owners used most...

I consider PalmOS to be the gold-standard for PDA functionality. After spending hours with people that are Droid and iPhone advocates (I was sure I wasn't going to be impressed with Verizon's Pre that I had waited so long for, so I started looking at alternatives...) - it took me about 5 minutes to fall in love with WebOS, and I am still impressed with how much more I can do with a much simpler interface...

I hope that other handset makers will introduce WebOS phones, for sure. But until then, I'll take WebOS on any hardware before iPhone or Droid... For my needs, it wasn't even close. I'd go back to my Centro before i'd get a Droid or an iphone...