Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    can u have the pre be a wifi router with this newer OS? in order to use your pre for free net with your laptop must you do homebrew? can someone help point me in an accurate direction so that i can accomplish this quickly if this is the case? thank you.
    There's no software included with that, Sprint and Verizon both have mobile broadband plans on top of your cell service. There's a couple of apps available, I'm getting one tomorrow. Do a search for tether, you'll find the ones people here use.

Just don't go nuts with it, your carrier can cut off your service if they catch you doing it and not paying.
    Well, if you have sprint...Download Free Tether and My Tether(paid)..Then set Free Tether to ip forwarding...and there you got it..You can use EV connection as internet connection for your laptop and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Well, if you have sprint...Download Free Tether and My Tether(paid)..Then set Free Tether to ip forwarding...and there you got it..You can use EV connection as internet connection for your laptop and what not.
    What is the Free Tether for? I am using the paid version of MyTether and it works great. But am I missing something? Is Free Tether hiding the fact that I'm tethering from Sprint?
    Well, not really. I guess they updated My Tether, because at some point My Tether didn't work too well with 1.4.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    so which one works? which is easier to setup and get running? when i do searches i end up finding tutorials, but the tutorials are old for older OS's so i will run into problems. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
    so which one works? which is easier to setup and get running? when i do searches i end up finding tutorials, but the tutorials are old for older OS's so i will run into problems. thanks.
    The new version of My Tether works perfectly. You don't have to do much, but you do have to install Palm SDK before you can install My Tether. Palm SdK helps root your device, thereby letting the My Tether installation tool run and install my tether on your device. So, first, you need a computer and then you need to sign up to get Palm Sdk (software developers kit)..No, you don't have to be a developer to have one of these...everyone has it..
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I can't get MyTether to work. I turn it on and no devices can find it.
    If you can live with bluetooth tethering, all you need to install is freetether and freetetherd. enable IP farwarding after opening the app, and use BT to connect to your compy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahayford View Post
    I can't get MyTether to work. I turn it on and no devices can find it.
    It usually doesn't show what it's connected to...basically turn on WiFi tethering and look for aonet..or something like that on your computer..Wifi Tethering diasbles the Wifi on your phone.
    You can later change Aonet to whatever you want and set a password for the connection via My Tether
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i vcant find a software developers kit. all i can find is a PDK. is that the same thing?
    Heres the link to download SDK..

SDK Download - Palm Developer Center
    You don't have to install Java and virtual host...But install them so SDK can work fine..
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smackswell View Post
    If you can live with bluetooth tethering, all you need to install is freetether and freetetherd. enable IP farwarding after opening the app, and use BT to connect to your compy.
    to install freetether and freetethered do i need to do the sdk and java and all that businesss and the upupdowndownleftright thing?
    I have the Pre+ and got mytether working this week. Apparently, Aonic (the programmer of mytether) released a new version that works with Verizon Pre+'s earlier this week. If you have never installed mytether previously, it will install very easily. If you have an earlier version of mytether, you need to first doctor your phone.

This is what I did to get it working:

1. Go to mytether.net
    2. Pay the $15 "donation"
    3. Access the donor portion of the mytether forum
    4. Read the entire "Verizon palm pre plus 3g not working" thread (working now)
    5. Install Java & SDK on your computer
    6. Run the "Installer" program
    7. Use MyTether on your Pre to create a wifi hotspot over 3G
    8. Thumb your nose at Verizon and their $40 per month Mobile Hotspot charge

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
    to install freetether and freetethered do i need to do the sdk and java and all that businesss and the upupdowndownleftright thing?
    Yeah...you do..in order to get sdk to work..