Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    is there anything like skype app where i can have a number seperate from my sprint phone and i can call in and out with this app when i am connected to wifi . almost like a 2nd phone number. Thanks.
    Google Voice?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    is the number a consistent number or does it change?
    Stays the same. My sister uses it.
    Yes but google voice requires someone to invite you which can be hard to get. As far as I know it also uses the phone dialer so you'd need phone service and not just WiFi. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Yes but google voice requires someone to invite you which can be hard to get. As far as I know it also uses the phone dialer so you'd need phone service and not just WiFi. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Oh........yeah, I just asked. It's not a phone, just a confusing name. IM service, and you can do voice and video chats on your laptop or whatever. My sister has it so she gets voicemail alerts when her phone is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Oh........yeah, I just asked. It's not a phone, just a confusing name. IM service, and you can do voice and video chats on your laptop or whatever. My sister has it so she gets voicemail alerts when her phone is dead.
    Google voice does give you a dedicated number that you can forward to your cell, home, office, etc... On the Pre however it dials out using the phone dialer to connect a call so your minutes are still getting dinged (if you're unfortunate enough to still have minutes to worry about) I noticed that the Vonage app for the iphone can make calls via WiFi so maybe there's hope for this in the future.
    Google voice does give you a dedicated number that you can forward to your cell, home, office, etc... On the Pre however it dials out using the phone dialer to connect a call so your minutes are still getting dinged (if you're unfortunate enough to still have minutes to worry about) I noticed that the Vonage app for the iphone can make calls via WiFi so maybe there's hope for this in the future.
    Could be, she's had Gtalk for awhile, I don't think she ever set it up completely. Not a techie, by any means. Blenders with more than an on/off switch take her a minute........
    can you just call using Gvoice using wifi and the web interface?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Uh? All I did was go to the website request an invite and no more than 24 hours later I was in like flint
    Last edited by helidos; 03/11/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    can you just call using Gvoice using wifi and the web interface?
    Sadly no. For a test turn on airplane mode then WiFi and try to make the call with the web app. It brings up your phone dialer and then the little airplane mode error comes up. You still have to have cell service to use it. We need a dedicated app to get this to work, if it's even currently possible.
    Last edited by xome1983; 03/11/2010 at 12:45 PM.