1.    #1  
    Hi

I am trying to listen to Podcasts on the subway but the subway is so loud that I can barely hear anything, even at maximum volume. Is there any way to hack it to boost the headphone volume further?
    I'm guessing there is but short of a hack, why not use the nice ear buds that came with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I'm guessing there is but short of a hack, why not use the nice ear buds that came with the Pre?
    or buy a decent pair of headphones like some sennheisers or shure's. Hell for 20 dollars you can get a pair of JVC marshmallow's that are inner ear phones and should block out most of the ambient noise you hear around you, meaning you don't have to have the volume cranked up to hear your music/podcasts.
  4.    #4  
    I don't think you guys understand what I mean by LOUD in the subway.

When I say it's loud, I mean IT'S REALLY REALLY LOUD.

Getting better earphones will not help, hence my asking

So is there a way to increase the volume further?
    I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling earbuds that work great, I use them when I fly, great at cutting out that chatty loud mouth that's sits behind you and also good at reducing the noise from the plane's jet engines.
    You definitely need either some active noise-canceling headphones or good quality passive earplugs. The Pre stock earbuds don't seal and block out enough of the ambient noise and more volume won't make that much difference. I work daily on workboats and ships with very loud engines as well as sirens which create very loud ambient sound levels which active headphones absolutely choke down to nothing! Ear muffs cancel the most noise but the best are fairly expensive. The best job of canceling background noise is by earmuffs which go completely around the ears but I've had pretty good luck with a pair of JVC headphones for about $49.00. (Not quite as good as the Bose for $200 but it depends as to what you want to spend) I spent about $650 on the Active Noise Canceling David Clarks which I use for flying a private plane but hearing control tower and other traffic instructions is not an option, but a necessity! on the other end of the spectrum I got a pair of Sennheiser noise attenuation earbuds from Woot.com last week for about 17.00 which work pretty well as a passive noise cancelling device.
    A good combination solution is the Plantronics Voyager 855 Bluetooth Stereo
    headset. This is decent stereo and with aftermarket Comply earseals really works well at sealing out background noise. The plus to this is that you can answer calls and then go back to listening to your tunes without having to change devices.
    Another issue which may address your problem may be to resample your music in a sound editor ( I use DAK wave and Sound editor) and basically rerecord your music at a high\louder sound level. This will give you the ability to turn up your music louder no matter what type of listening device that you choose to use. Just make sure and use a quality sound editing program so that you keep the quality of your music while you gain volume. Even if you do this remember that you're much better off reducing your background noise either passively or actively and listening to your music at a reasonable level so that you don't do long-term damage to your ears (too late for me now;(
    Good luck at finding the right solution for your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    Hi

I am trying to listen to Podcasts on the subway but the subway is so loud that I can barely hear anything, even at maximum volume. Is there any way to hack it to boost the headphone volume further?

OH my god, I left this exact message a few weeks ago. Almost word for word!

And nobody was able to recognize it.

I finally just purchased a new stereo bluetooth headset that I absolutely love.

The Plantronics 903 or 906 (906 come with adapter, this what I got).

They are loud enough and comfortable.

I will use them until more people complain about the volume trouble and Palm finally looks into it.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Dude, if it's so loud that ear-buds don't do you any good then the Pre's tiny mono-speaker isn't going to do any good. You'll BLOW your speaker out at those decibel levels.

Get some noice-cancelling ear-buds as has been suggested but don't expect this thing to be a soundstage!
    He is talking about the supplied headphone, not the speaker on the back of the phone.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    You definitely need either some active noise-canceling headphones or good quality passive earplugs. The Pre stock earbuds don't seal and block out enough of the ambient noise and more volume won't make that much difference.
    No the Pre headphone are actually very good.

It seems that the volume problem that John.. is talking about started about version 1.3.5.

Something changed with one of the upgrades.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    Hi

I just finished reading all of the posts JohnnyRockets, and if you see that responses, this is what I was getting from everyone.

Nobody seems to understand what the two of us are trying to explain.

The stock Pre headphone were always very good in the past.

Something happened in the few upgrades of the WebOS.

But as I said, I gave up and because I found these new bluetooth stereo headsets, I put the problem on the back burner, until more people complain.

So the number is 2, let's get more people to understand the issue.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I "hear" your pain. for me its the front speaker thats not loud enough and yes i have noticed volume on my bluetooth has been reduced as well since some updates sometime back. I believe thats what the complaint is. I work out in the field as a patrol officer so I cant wear bulky headsets so I'm still looking for something like the Jawbone, which I use to have but it broke proir to me geting my Pre. I'll probably try the jawbone out with the Pre and see how it goes but when your out in a noisy environment the volume really isnt loud enough.
    I know what rlanza1054 is talking about. I've noticed that since the 1.4 update my music doesn't play as loudly as it used to...
    through headphones that is
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLordO**** View Post
    I "hear" your pain. for me its the front speaker thats not loud enough and yes i have noticed volume on my bluetooth has been reduced as well since some updates sometime back. I believe thats what the complaint is. I work out in the field as a patrol officer so I cant wear bulky headsets so I'm still looking for something like the Jawbone, which I use to have but it broke proir to me geting my Pre. I'll probably try the jawbone out with the Pre and see how it goes but when your out in a noisy environment the volume really isnt loud enough.
    Take a look at the Plantronics 903, they are stereo bluetooth and do music as well as phone called.

The do have a sort of isolation fit, but they are not a total isolation.

They are loud enough and over come whatever the problem is with the volume problem on the Pre.

And to that person that thinks I said the bluetooth volume is low as well, no I'm not talking about. I am talking about volume with the speaker on the back (which was always low, but it would blow if made too loud) but I am talking about the headphones that are supplied with the Pre. The wired headphones/headset. They were loud at one point but not after upgrades.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3