1.    #1  
    Hello

I will set the scene.

2 weeks ago i sent my pre off via the o2 store stating i was having software issues in the form of the phone not responding when i recieved notifications and the phone randomly turning its self off.

There was a chip in the plastic coating on the side of the screen. By this i mean if you slide up the phone not the actual screen but the casing along the side, so the thin part of the screen. The screen its self worked fine and the chip occured last year and the problems have only been happening recently.

So the repair guy has said that i need a new screen that will cost 101 but the screen wasnt the reason i sent it off as the screen is fine it was that the phone was locking up when i recieved notifications? What i want to know is what else can i do, should i goto palm directly?

What i think is that the repair guy has looked at the chip said thats the problem end of without testing the phone?

Can any one help?

Alex.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I can't really help with the issue but I guess its probably better if we try to keep similar topics together, i.e. continue existing threads?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ns-policy.html

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...pping-pre.html
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mccarney View Post
    Hello

So the repair guy has said that i need a new screen that will cost 101 but the screen wasnt the reason i sent it off as the screen is fine it was that the phone was locking up when i recieved notifications? What i want to know is what else can i do, should i goto palm directly?

Can any one help?

Alex.
    Sounds like you have a badly seated battery. This causes the phone to short out and turn itself off, especially when you open and close the slider. (to respond to notifications ect)

Put a couple or three strips of sellotape on the curvey edge of he battery, to make it sit tighter in the slot, and that should sort it out.

The notifications freezing will probably stop when the shorting stops.

i
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    you have to be clear to o2..they are idiots..something along the lines of

"I KNOW THERES A CHIP THATS NOT WHY I SENT IT TOO YOU....DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS COMMING OUTOF MY MOUTH" (rushhour reference)
    Yeah, they're not the smartest of people. Sometimes, I wonder if some of them even know what a phone is...

I sent my phone in for repair 6 days ago because the power button wasn't responding (couldn't press it... Didn't seem like a button at all anymore)... Still waiting for it back. A friend works for o2 so fortunately he knew exactly what's going on and gave me a free replacement phone whilst I don't have my Pre. But God do I miss it so much! It's horrible without my pre...
  6. npw
    I agree with kel101, just tell them to leave it alone, its cosmetic damage, get on the problem I actually sent it in for.

I sent mine for the power button and came back in 7 days all fixed, so I can't really complain about them.
    hey there, i opened a thread about having a hairline crack in my case a couple days ago. My pre has had a tendency toward screen failure and i have sent it in twice already but now my warranty is void because of that crack. Please update us on the details and how o2 responds as I am really interested since I am in a similar position right now.

I am with o2 germany, and I would really like to know if they will fix my phone in case the screen fails again eventhough this stupid crack appeared after the last repair.

hope all goes well for you.