Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Anyone see this?

Microsoft shows off XNA games running on Windows Phone, full 3D is a go -- Engadget

I foresee continued tough times ahead for the Pre.
    windows phone is not being released untill the holidays.. lol you think people are gonna sit and wait by then palm will have released 2 phones..
    The Windows 7 phone series won't be much of a contender to the Pre from a business standpoint (at first). It'll take at least 6 months after release for apps to be "fully-featured", and for bugs to be worked out in order for the phone to operate in an enterprise situation.

Most phones have to go through this, so I don't expect much from the Windows phone at first. Will it cut into Pre sales? Obviously.

It'll cut into every phone's sales (even iPod, if it's release on ATT somehow).
    Yeah, I absolutely disagree with the premise here. No Windows Phone 7 series device will be competition for the Pre because the Pre will not be a factor by the time that handset is released. Either Palm will have released a new handset by then with new guts that will merit a different comparison OR they will have doubled down on the Pre and Pixi brands into obscurity.

I will say, however, that a huge advantage of Windows Phone 7 Series as far as gaming is that Microsoft will ensure that companies actually create games FOR IT, rather than simply porting older titles from a much more successful platform with a bigger screen. In fact, with that article Microsoft can boast that they have more 3D games created for their platform - several months prior to release - than WebOS has created for their platform nine months AFTER release.
    Personally, I hate the Windows Mobile 7 interface. I think it's a mess and have no idea why everyone's so crazy over it.
    WinMo? No thanks. Don't care which version it is.

WinMO FTL!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    elan or the c40 will be out by then or both lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    windows phone is not being released untill the holidays.. lol you think people are gonna sit and wait by then palm will have released 2 phones..
    That may be true but I'm going to predict that a windows phone will be accepted faster by the consumer than a webos phone by a factor of a hundred, if not, a thousand.
    i wonder how many are just fed up with windows products? i know i am and doubt i will ever own another windows product.

my next pc is going to run linux. a couple of friends of mine are running it and they love it. open source, free stuff. it has some limitations but i only surf then net and use it for work on basic stuff.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Anyone see this?

Microsoft shows off XNA games running on Windows Phone, full 3D is a go -- Engadget

I foresee continued tough times ahead for the Pre.
    are you kiding me? i had windows mobile once and it was bs
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    are you kiding me? i had windows mobile once and it was bs
    This is completely different.

Windows Mobile 7 looks good. Better than iphone and webos in a few ways aswell. Like a homescreen.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    win 7 phone is nice to be honest but it's too big.. Palm STEP YOUR GAME UP.
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    That may be true but I'm going to predict that a windows phone will be accepted faster by the consumer than a webos phone by a factor of a hundred, if not, a thousand.
    Yes, it will be accepted faster. Because more people KNOW the Windows name and know that it will be a stable platform to work with.

Palm has the best mobile OS hands-down, and nothing Microsoft comes out with will best it. Does that mean Palm will do amazingly well because they have a great OS?

Obviously not. Product familiarity is exceedingly important in today's society, and Palm really just didn't have it to start with with WebOS.

Does that mean that the Windows 7 mobile OS will be an amazing success and spur innovations left and right just cause it's Microsoft?

No.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Palm has the best mobile OS hands-down, and nothing Microsoft comes out with will best it. Does that mean Palm will do amazingly well because they have a great OS?
    You know some inside info on the new WinMo OS we don't to make such a claim? Webos is not the hands down the best OS for everyone. I am still having issues with my exchange server wanna know which os is not? all the other mobile OS's but webos is still the best right?

And all this talk about it won't be a contender etc you guys honestly thing MS is designing around features of last year devices *cough* like palm did? Let's be real the phone will more than likely released more complete and with more features than webos did on and has at the time of release.

Built in xbox live support that's around 12 million potential new customer right there alone. If even a quarter of those people buy a phone they just smacked palm in the dirt.
    Microsoft has tons and tons of money. Literally. They have a vault with cash that weighs many tons. And I mean paper money, not gold or silver. Do you have any idea how much paper money it takes to weigh that much?

I jest, but of course in fact Microsoft has enough money to throw at this, and enough incentive, that Windows Phone 7 _will be_ successful. Period. Don't doubt for a minute that Microsoft will let their fortunes in the mobile space go wanting the way they have for the last few years.

Indeed, looking at Courier, and considering how much better Windows 7 is, I think that Microsoft is back. And I'm happy for them. And, I hate to say, I do find the idea of a 64GB smartphone supporting the Zune Pass to be somewhat attractive. And if Palm doesn't make it, meaning if they don't remain an independent company with viable products available, then I'll consider going to a Windows Phone 7 device if it does have 64GB, a good keyboard, and good apps. Lots of "Ands" there...

Is this heresy (I ask, tongue somewhat in cheek), coming from me, one of Palm's staunchest supporters here at Precentral? No, I don't think so. I applaud Palm for doing some great things--webOS, Mojo, Ares, the PDK--but reality will out. There really may simply be too much money thrown around by Apple, Google, RIM, and now Microsoft for Palm to survive on their own. It would be a tragedy, and a travesty, but I have to recognize the possibility.

And, it wouldn't be Palm's fault--I'd have to say that they've given it more than the ol' college try, and they're not out of the game yet. Note that last bit: I'm not burying Palm yet.

But, again, if Palm doesn't make it, I won't go to Apple and I won't go to Google. I just can't stand those companies. That leaves Windows Phone 7, which aside from the funky interface (which, who knows, might actually work nicely once you get used to it) has some very good things going for it:

1. Zune Marketplace: the Zune Pass is by far the best value in music. If Microsoft extends it to video, watch out.

2. Development tools: I saw a video of Visual Studio being used to create an app for Windows, the Xbox, and Windows Phone 7 simultaneously. And, the app (a game) was synced live across all three platforms--the game simply continued on the same level and at the same point as the presenter started the game on each platform.

Can you imagine, say, a word processing app where you could start a document on your PC, then leave your office, turn on your phone, and pick up exactly the same document at exactly the same place? Then go home and pick up the document on your home PC. That's powerful stuff, Maynard.

3. Integration with Microsoft products: This isn't guaranteed, given just how bad Windows Mobile was at this. I never did get my Mogul or Touch Pro to sync correctly with EAS. My Pre has been so much better in this regard. But, Microsoft knows that it's do or die time here, so I'm guessing they'll make the experience seamless.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Personally, I hate the Windows Mobile 7 interface. I think it's a mess and have no idea why everyone's so crazy over it.
    It's newer... (not saying i feel the same way..)
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I'll keep an open mind. Way i see it, windows and my PC is my most used product. It's only logical to assume that a windows phone done right would have an advantage right there. And there's plenty of MS services to fall back on as there is google and apple.

Palm tried to fall back on itunes sync, but apple shut the door although now they got hand-me-down iphone games. Palm's got it good with gmail but maps and others are third rate at best and google shut down gvoice webOS apps basically. Don't think palm has much going with office or windows other than some half baked 3rd party apps and vapor docs to go.