Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I went into two different sprint stores over the past 2 weeks. I am due for an upgrade on April 1st... I've been seeing how great the WebOS really is. However, when I ask for help or sprint's reps opinion on the phones they have said it is slow, outdated hardware, not as good as a hero or blackberry, cheaply made...

This is between 3 different reps. Their own opinions, I actually do research, but for normal folk that go looking for a new phone, the word of a sprint rep is very valued.

There attitude isn't helping palm's case at all... it's a catch 22.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    When the Sprint reps tell you that the Pre is outdated hardware, agree, and tell them that the Pre+ is cutting edge.
    Wow....love the phones they compare the "outdated" hardware of the Pre against. A freaking Hero and a Crackberry? Please! They are clueless. You probably just ran into some die hard Android and Blackberry fans. I just had to deal with a Blackberry, and OMG, I could not wait until I didn't have to touch that hedious device anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Wow....love the phones they compare the "outdated" hardware of the Pre against.

Seriously...if they considered the Pre outdated and not the Crackberry, that just throws their credibility out the window.

The Crackberry UI is f*cking horrible imo. The UI alone makes me not care how good the damn email functions are.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    So, the answer is that Sprint reps work on commission. That being the case the reps are going to tell you every phone that doesn't pay them the highest commission is crap on every possible level. After working commission myself, I never trust the word of anyone who does.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    I went into two different sprint stores over the past 2 weeks. I am due for an upgrade on April 1st... I've been seeing how great the WebOS really is. However, when I ask for help or sprint's reps opinion on the phones they have said it is slow, outdated hardware, not as good as a hero or blackberry, cheaply made...

This is between 3 different reps. Their own opinions, I actually do research, but for normal folk that go looking for a new phone, the word of a sprint rep is very valued.

There attitude isn't helping palm's case at all... it's a catch 22.
    I would wait 2 extra months for the new hardware that will probably be released in june... While I love the pre, and is still my favorit phone on the market, i agree with their statements about it being slow, and on outdated hardware.

Wait 2 months, the worst thing that can happen is nothing gets announced, and you buy a pre 2 months late....
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    The Hero actually has outdated hardware.

The Pre has same processor as 3GS.
    Hero has same processor as G1?
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, it may seem like the Pre is slow because the hardware isn't fully/properly utilized.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    The Hero actually has outdated hardware.

The Pre has same processor as 3GS.
    Hero has same processor as G1?
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, it may seem like the Pre is slow because the hardware isn't fully/properly utilized.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$'$re$ $correct$, $though$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $processor$ $is$ $running$ $at$ $a$ $slightly$ $lower$ $clock$ $than$ $the$ $3GS$. $The$ $Hero$ $is$ $horribly$ $slow$ $in$ $comparison$ $to$ $either$ $unless$ $you$ $are$ $constantly$ $using$ $a$ $task$ $killer$. $Maybe$ $if$ $they$ $had$ $recommended$ $the$ $Moment$ $I$ $could$ $understand$...
    lol i could've sworn Android and Crackberries and Pre were all running around the 528-600mhz area..oh yeah let me know when BlackBerry comes out with the exact phone but 1MP more camera for $200 more. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Seriously...if they considered the Pre outdated and not the Crackberry, that just throws their credibility out the window.

The Crackberry UI is f*cking horrible imo. The UI alone makes me not care how good the damn email functions are.
    Amen. I have to carry one around for work. The only thing that is good about them is they are unbelievably robust. In software, management and hardware. The drops they take are unbelievable. And it may seem like a small thing, but their alarm clock application really is tops.

However, using it for anything more than an alarm clock and email is a horrible nightmare. Everything takes so many clicks and everything being a scroll instead of touch just adds to the pain. I shiver at the thought of using facebook or god forbid, the browser, to do anything. It's like going from touch typing on a full keyboard to typing with one finger with the other hand behind your back on a mobile keyboard that is sitting on a slippery surface,
    There are exactly two phones in the US market with newer/more powerful hardware than the Pre.

Neither is available on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    actually, I think the BB Bold is running at 625Mhz. It is stupid for anyone to say the BB hardware is behind the Pre. I own both and do know that the BB hardware is much more reliable than the Pre. Not too mention RIM is constantly releasing new hardware.

I will agree in saying that the OS is severely outdated on the BB devices. Even BB OS 5.0 is just a facelift to the same old OS. The only other thing that BB doesn't have is a mutitouch screen device.

I have owned four different models of Blackberries over the years and never had to replace one for anything. I have owned a Pre for 4.5 months and am on my third device. I love webOS but something has to give with the hardware at some point.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I completely agree. I love my pre, but the hardware issues I have faced with mine stop me from pushing it for my boss who is up for a new device. I am using a BB as a loaner while my 4th replacement is in the mail to me, and I am always amazed with the build quality of these devices (say nothing about battery life.)

I'll be back on my pre when it gets here, but I agree with jaywaller - something has to give with this hardware.
    If i was a sprint store employee (highly paid, i'm sure ), i'm not sure i'd be singing Palm's praises either. Think of all the returns/exchanges they've put up with. Think of how they were told they couldn't have one of these precious phones for a few months after launch. Think of how Palm then went to verizon with a better version of the phone.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-n...rint-telesales July 23, 2009 and still can't buy a Pre. I'm not sure when did get allowed to..probably about the time the Hero dropped :P

Same with the instinct, tour, etc. How can Sprint expect their employees to care if they don't take care of their employees?
    They probably read this forum and base their opinion on all of the negative threads/comments. For the most part it's like filling out customer service polls, if ur ****ed you want to vent; if you're happy you got what you expected and don't fill them out. Sprint needs to train their sales force on these phones. Not sure if this has changed but when I went to look at the Pre in Sprint stores, they were all mock-ups. None were working phones, if it's still like that then no wonder...
    I agree with most of what your saying with one caveat. In the phone biz, 99.9% of the time the reps are paid off the plan along with data features, not the type of phone a customer chooses.

Verizon for example is now "dinging" reps when customers purchase a phone and exchange it for another phone. This is something new and reps are not happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrythe View Post
    So, the answer is that Sprint reps work on commission. That being the case the reps are going to tell you every phone that doesn't pay them the highest commission is crap on every possible level. After working commission myself, I never trust the word of anyone who does.
    BS those phones suck, i looked at all three of those before purchasing the Pre. I agree the blackberry UI sucks, i have a blackberry as a work phone and i can't wait to upgrade to new phone, hopefully, it will be the next gen WebOS device.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I went to a sprint kiosk (not the store I usually go to) and asked an employee (not my usual guy) if they had any touchstones in stock the response was unbelievable.

Sprint: A touch-what? What is that?
    Me: It is a charger
    Sprint: Maybe you could go down to Charge-O-Rama
    (can't remember name of generic cell phone accessory shop)
    Me: Are you kidding?
    Sprint: We don't sell third party chargers here
    Me: ....... (just turned and walked away)
    I can agree on Blackberry hardware, it's bombproof. Had to be, they were marketing to the business market that wanted stuff to last. You're not going to give your entire company (at least the parts that need to be reached by phone at all times) a phone that breaks every six months. Comparing my 800w or my 650 to the Pre........I dunno, I don't think its so much an issue of the Pre being any cheaper than either of those, all three are weighty, solid, with the exception of the slider.......the 800w FEELS better, it's got the rubberized, sticky grip to it, it doesn't move in your hand like the Pre does.

But outdated? Hardly. I'm waiting patiently to compare it to the Nexus One, friend out in Seattle is due to get one from his job if they ever quit sitting on the purchase order. They must be comparing it to a Rant or something with a dumbphone proprietary phone OS. Yeah, those are going to be faster.........DOS runs like lightning on my quad core, that doesn't mean a dang thing. It's completely useless.
    Ok, I am going to have to go against the grain here...and disagree with the assertion that Blackberry hardware is foolproof. It used to be foolproof...but no more. I carried a 7700 model forever, and that Blackberry fell down stairs and actually got run over by my wife. (Looong story). Lots of scrapes and chips, but it still worked. But the Storm and Storm2? My brother in law has swapped his Storm out three times due to screen issues. I carry the new Blackberry Bold, and it has had to be swapped twice due to a speaker issue and the trackball stopped working. Same thing with the Curve, we use those in our company with about 400+ BB users, and we have to swap them out all the time for trackball or screen issues.

Sure, the Pre has some build quality issues and I am personally on my third Pre. But when you buy a smartphone, you are buying a pretty complex piece of equipment. All smartphones have issues from time to time. Many of my iPhone friends have had to swap devices several times...and it is not nearly as smooth of a transition as it is on the Pre. Both times they had a replacement either that day or the next day, and it is as simple as logging into my Palm profile as I am walking out the door.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast