Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just came back from the Sprint store. The guy there immediately told me android was the best out right now and that I shouldn't get a Pre. When I asked him why it was so much better he told it's because the Moment has way more apps (He said 300 for Pre, 1500 for Moment and most are free apps.) He also said that it's because the Moment is open source. I asked him if the Pre was open source (knowing that it is,) and he admitted that he didn't know but thought that it also was and that he might have heard someone say they were developing for it.
    I was pretty much settled on the Pre from hearing so much about it on here, but I was interested in how much bias the Spring rep had against it. To be fair, when I asked if it had durability issues he told me it was comparable to other phones. I think that he probably wants to underplay that because their insurance doesn't cover most cracks and whatnot.
    When I finally told him I was settled on getting the Pre he went back and told me they were out. They called another store to get one, but they just sold their last two. The second store they called had one that they are picking up for me now, which was really sweet. It seems like a shame that they don't have the phone in store ready to buy though. Surely they have a boatload of Moments and Heros available to walk out with.
    Anyways, that was the impression I got just now.
    Owner Status: Decided and pants-shtingly excited to get my hands on my new phone
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Most people don't know or don't care about hardware or specs, all they know is that the Palm Pre is an 'old' phone.
    I took a nephew to the sprint store who basically used a dumbphone and with hardly a clue as to what a smartphone is...other than an iphone. But keep in mind, this is palm's market.

He knows he wants something decent for texting. Bigger screen than he had. Naturally i walk him over to the Pre first. Well, Pixi first. Too small, stupid name. The Pre? Kinda small he remarks, as he also sees the Hero. But picks up the Pre anyways, immediately says, kinda wobbly. Slides it open, plays around with it, and basically says "no way"

Runs over to that Hero. (IMO, the iphone ads have more an affect than we realize). After a few minutes, that's his choice for sure. Loves the screen. He's smiling and all excited. "It's so cool" Or IMO, its as close as he can find to the iphone.

Moral of the story is, Palm needs a slab.

Another thing is..words like updates, android 2.1, webOS, multitasking, synergy...basically went over his head as his eyes glazed over. He didn't know and could care less. I'm not even sure he understands about mobile OS's. He did ask if it had apps like the iphone.

And there you have it, that's the mindset of the average mainstream consumer that Palm is trying to target.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    I went into two different sprint stores over the past 2 weeks. I am due for an upgrade on April 1st... I've been seeing how great the WebOS really is. However, when I ask for help or sprint's reps opinion on the phones they have said it is slow, outdated hardware, not as good as a hero or blackberry, cheaply made...

This is between 3 different reps. Their own opinions, I actually do research, but for normal folk that go looking for a new phone, the word of a sprint rep is very valued.

There attitude isn't helping palm's case at all... it's a catch 22.
    While I love webOS, they're actually not being inaccurate. The hardware does suck - Palm really needs to do a better job of quality control. It is too slow/laggy. As for blackberry, well (other than the storm), if what you want is a phone that WORKS, works fast and always has your email avail, NOTHING beats a blackberry, not even an iPhone.

On the otherhand, blackberry sucks at touchscreen/multimedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Another thing is..words like updates, android 2.1, webOS, multitasking, synergy...basically went over his head as his eyes glazed over. He didn't know and could care less. I'm not even sure he understands about mobile OS's. He did ask if it had apps like the iphone.

And there you have it, that's the mindset of the average mainstream consumer that Palm is trying to target.
    Yup, yup, yup. WebOS is an awesome OS...really, it is. But for people to use it, they have to want the hardware, and the Pre form factor - especially in a Best Buy where it's laid next to industrial solid slabs like the Droid, Hero, and iPhone - is not compelling enough with current market demands.

The more highend slabs HTC, Motorola, and Apple drop, the worse it's going to get.

Also, speeding things up to Droid/Nexus One/iPhone-levels of responsiveness and smoothness is a must. You can't have people finally getting to touch a live Pre, and then sit back and watch animations render with frame drops and scrolling icon menus stutter and freeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I can confirm that compared to an HTC Hero, my Pre is alot faster. My gf has a hero and hasn't done anything to it besides put a few apps on it and it's ridiculously slow. My Pre works amazingly fast compared to hers. And to say that the Pre's hardware is outdated compared to the Hero? The Pre has been around since June and still works way better than the Hero (released in October).

To pick a lineup of all Sprint's phones, I would never choose anything but the Pre. Nothing else rivals it. TBH, all of Sprint's phones are fairly outdated.
    I never said anything about the hero. btw, my gf's moment smokes my pre on speed. I also never said it was outdated, I said it was wack, like i have to keep exchanging them because they are crap.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Judging by the people who work in the cell phone stores here, I wouldn't believe one of them if they told me the sun was gonna rise tomorrow. They don't seem to pay them very well and it shows. I'm more worried about one of them stabbing me and taking my wallet.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I took a nephew to the sprint store who basically used a dumbphone and with hardly a clue as to what a smartphone is...other than an iphone. But keep in mind, this is palm's market.

He knows he wants something decent for texting. Bigger screen than he had. Naturally i walk him over to the Pre first. Well, Pixi first. Too small, stupid name. The Pre? Kinda small he remarks, as he also sees the Hero. But picks up the Pre anyways, immediately says, kinda wobbly. Slides it open, plays around with it, and basically says "no way"

Runs over to that Hero. (IMO, the iphone ads have more an affect than we realize). After a few minutes, that's his choice for sure. Loves the screen. He's smiling and all excited. "It's so cool" Or IMO, its as close as he can find to the iphone.

The two main factors for selecting a phone seems to be

1) does it look cool in the store for the 15 minutes or so they spent selecting it

and

2) Do their friends have the same phone and say it's cool.

As you rightly point out, you might as well be talking high-end physics when you start talking about WebOS or any of the hardware specs. You need something that has wow factor, how it actually works or if it works is secondary in selling handsets...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The two main factors for selecting a phone seems to be

1) does it look cool in the store for the 15 minutes or so they spent selecting it

and

2) Do their friends have the same phone and say it's cool.

As you rightly point out, you might as well be talking high-end physics when you start talking about WebOS or any of the hardware specs. You need something that has wow factor, how it actually works or if it works is secondary in selling handsets...
    I agree.

For me, form factor was a big part of my decision to go with the Pre. I like the small size, but I understand that not everyone agrees.

Palm does need to work on their wow factor. Terms like multitasking and synergy are hard concepts to convey in the 30 seconds most people make decisions in. I'm guessing this is why Palm is pushing the gaming angle so hard right now.
    Did you tell the Sprint rep he was a towel? Or a tool?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post
    I agree.

For me, form factor was a big part of my decision to go with the Pre. I like the small size, but I understand that not everyone agrees.

Palm does need to work on their wow factor. Terms like multitasking and synergy are hard concepts to convey in the 30 seconds most people make decisions in. I'm guessing this is why Palm is pushing the gaming angle so hard right now.
    once we get the flash plugin hopefully reps can point that out as a perk of the pre over some of the other phones on the market.
    I just got a pre from my local sprint store. They are a busy retailer/repair center. They also did not even have a Pre on display, but had a handfull in a cabinet below the Pixi. It was kind of sad.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I just want to go on record, again. I have a launch day Pre and have had no build problems except that the USB door came off. Yes, some people have had problems, but not everyone.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    once we get the flash plugin hopefully reps can point that out as a perk of the pre over some of the other phones on the market.
    "Flash Gordon the superhero?" is the response that is likely to get. That's a nerd detail that people like us are interested in.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123