Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beantastic View Post
    I went to a sprint kiosk (not the store I usually go to) and asked an employee (not my usual guy) if they had any touchstones in stock the response was unbelievable.

Sprint: A touch-what? What is that?
    Me: It is a charger
    Sprint: Maybe you could go down to Charge-O-Rama
    (can't remember name of generic cell phone accessory shop)
    Me: Are you kidding?
    Sprint: We don't sell third party chargers here
    Me: ....... (just turned and walked away)
    Why didn't you just pull out your Pre and show him the touchstone on Sprint's accessory sales page? The only reason I don't buy stuff locally is Radio Shack carries nothing (and we have two, within a mile of each other..........in a small town.........) and my local Sprint store is more repair and service than phone sales.

I doubt its Sprint doing anything wrong, that's a classic case of clueless sales work. If you happen to be a musician, call Guitar Center or Sam Ash sometime. See if they can even tell you the difference between XL120's and XL120+ strings. Don't tell them the brand, just the model number. I bet they can't even find them on the shelf, and those are two of the most widely used strings on the planet.
    Just for the record, received the new Sprint Premier brochure thang, and it has articles on Crackberry and Android. Not a single word about WebOS or picture of a Pre/Pixi.
    how all cell providers work...
    Phone Costs money = (Palm pre cost is roughly 450-550)
    New Activation = Commission ( depending on plan anywhere from 200-325 with feature bundles included)
    Upgrades = commission (roughly 150 - 200 with feature bundles)

result = very hard to make profit on the pre

thats not to say that a blackberry tour isnt just as expensive... but it is easier to present a blackberry than it is a "No Name" OS
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    To further see if it was just these two sprint stores, I went to a sprint retailer inside the mall here locally.

I told the associate, I was due for an upgrade April 1st, what he thought about the Pre/Pixi

He said verbatim "I'd get a webos phone if it was free, unfortunately they aren't at the moment, but take a look at the new BlackBerry Curve 8530"

Are they trained to turned down potential customers...Jesus...
    Yea I don't ever expect much from sales reps. I was just in best buy, and can't get over the fact that the pre is $150 and the Pre+ is 99. ***.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I just came back from my local sprint store and they didn't have the palm pre or pixi on display?

It's no wonder Palm is facing an uphill battle.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I just came back from my local sprint store and they didn't have the palm pre or pixi on display?

It's no wonder Palm is facing an uphill battle.
    Wow... I hope they made a mistake..that is terrible.
    Well, the Sprint folks are in just as bad a shape as Palm... Here's an excerpt from a recent analyst note on it...

Highlights
    • Sprint's nascent turnaround – and the bull case for its shares – hinges on three separate conditions. First,
    Sprint must reverse subscriber losses. Second, it must reverse its margin declines. And third, it must
    sustain low capital spending on the core Sprint business while it funds the 4G build-out of Clearwire.
    • Unfortunately, the odds are stacked against them. In post-paid, industry subscriber growth has slowed to
    a crawl, with 2009 industry net additions down -41% from 2008, and expected to fall sharply again this
    year. To grow, Sprint will have to take share from Verizon and AT&T.
    • Seasonality works against them as well. If history is any guide, the industry post-paid gross additions
    pool in Q1 can be expected to drop -10% from Q4, suggesting a Sprint post-paid miss even if they
    maintain their recent gains in gross additions share. We are projecting a loss of -775K post-paid
    subscribers in Q1, well below consensus.
    • And in pre-paid, there are signs that the competitiveness of Sprint’s Boost Unlimited service has already
    begun to wane in the face of lower priced competing unlimited plans. Based on our analysis of Sprint's
    share of "attributed" pre-paid subscriber trends, we are projecting a gain of just 246K pre-paid
    subscribers in Q1.
    • The margin picture also looks bleak. At a recent investor conference, CFO Bob Brust conceded that
    headcount reductions have already been taken, suggesting that the cost structure they’ve got is as good as
    it’s going to get. With wireless service margins of just 18.2% in Q4, they no longer have room to make
    further price cuts (and they need to hope their competitors don’t cut prices either). Operating leverage
    works both ways; continued declines in revenue look likely – recent CFO comments about a "hope" for
    an end to revenue declines within the year notwithstanding – further pressuring margins.
    • And as we detail in this report, they are on the brink of losing a Time Warner Cable VoIP contract that
    could cost them as much as 25% of their Wireline EBITDA, or $250M annually, over the next few years.
    • We have revised our Sprint model to more explicitly account for the post-2010 impact of losing the Time
    Warner Cable voice services contract.

U.S. Telecommunications
    Investment Conclusion
    We are lowering our target price for Sprint to $2.50, from $3.00 previously. We continue to rate Sprint
    Underperform.
    Sprint's fundamentals continue to worsen. Absent a serendipitous takeover, the company's shares ought to
    reflect this deteriorating performance over time. Looming free cash flow pressures created by the sunset of
    its voice outsourcing contract with Time Warner Cable, potentially higher capex spending at Clearwire and
    core Sprint, and fundamental challenges it faces in both its post-paid and pre-paid strategies, only add to the
    acute duress at Sprint.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I had a problem with my Pre from a bad patch. When I took it in to my Sprint store, the salesperson whipped his out and talked about how much he loved it. Of course, he didn't know about Precentral or Preware, so hopefully he is on this site now and tweaking his phone as well.
    I agree with the comment about the Palm Pre hardware. It was the worst I have ever had on a smartphone. I think the look of the phone is awesome and the software was on the better side, but I had too many issues with bad screens and loose sliders. I love Blackberry devices. They are made really well. I am probably one of the few people that is a big fan of the BlackBerry OS. The Hero is definitely a better devote than the Pre. The Hero is built better than both the Pre and BlackBerry devices.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The rep(s) at a store I went to on Wednesday pretty much said that the Pre was of questionable build quality and that if I wanted a replacement, I should get TEP overage. Otherwise I would do better with another handset.
    If the Pre had better hardware it would make a world of difference i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    I went into two different sprint stores over the past 2 weeks. I am due for an upgrade on April 1st... I've been seeing how great the WebOS really is. However, when I ask for help or sprint's reps opinion on the phones they have said it is slow, outdated hardware, not as good as a hero or blackberry, cheaply made...

This is between 3 different reps. Their own opinions, I actually do research, but for normal folk that go looking for a new phone, the word of a sprint rep is very valued.

There attitude isn't helping palm's case at all... it's a catch 22.
    I bet Palm would love to see video of that...
    well the pre is slow

the hardware is wack

and to the guy above, analysts and speculators have helped ruined our country in recent years.

that said, i know several people that have switched to sprint from verizon, due to pricing, and 3 have gotten pre's due to me.

also the store people, i had a manager lady attempt to tell me that my volume buttons isn't what controls the volume on my phone (when mine weren't working), very short lived argument, lol. but most people dont know any better, just like the people that buy the unfunctional onscreen keyboard in the app store.

i also have never seen a touchpro2 in a store around here.
    I agree redninja.

Stores don't like them because of the hardware. Managers don't want to deal with people bringing the phones back. hardware quality on the pre is the worst of any phone sprint sells. simple.

My friends are turned off by the many (7th one) problems i have had.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    You need to understand, the sprint pre IS OUTDATED hardware. The pre plus doubles the memory and disk space. In cell phone terms the pre is outdated, to us regular people it's still new. Cell phone people seem to think that phones last maybe 6 months and once new hardware is out the one before it old.

While I personally think the pre plus should have been the sprints pre, It was do or die for palm.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrythe View Post
    So, the answer is that Sprint reps work on commission. That being the case the reps are going to tell you every phone that doesn't pay them the highest commission is crap on every possible level. After working commission myself, I never trust the word of anyone who does.
    Hi I'm a sprint corporate retail rep here and we are not paid on commission by the phone we sell, we are just paid commission for an upgrade or a new line of service. I use the pre, I love it and I like to sell the pre to customers, because it's the best phone for sprint. Android OS is boring and uninteresting in my opinion and don't get me started on blackberrys. Hope this clears up any confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    well the pre is slow

the hardware is wack

and to the guy above, analysts and speculators have helped ruined our country in recent years.

that said, i know several people that have switched to sprint from verizon, due to pricing, and 3 have gotten pre's due to me.

also the store people, i had a manager lady attempt to tell me that my volume buttons isn't what controls the volume on my phone (when mine weren't working), very short lived argument, lol. but most people dont know any better, just like the people that buy the unfunctional onscreen keyboard in the app store.

i also have never seen a touchpro2 in a store around here.
    I can confirm that compared to an HTC Hero, my Pre is alot faster. My gf has a hero and hasn't done anything to it besides put a few apps on it and it's ridiculously slow. My Pre works amazingly fast compared to hers. And to say that the Pre's hardware is outdated compared to the Hero? The Pre has been around since June and still works way better than the Hero (released in October).

To pick a lineup of all Sprint's phones, I would never choose anything but the Pre. Nothing else rivals it. TBH, all of Sprint's phones are fairly outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by beantastic View Post
    I went to a sprint kiosk (not the store I usually go to) and asked an employee (not my usual guy) if they had any touchstones in stock the response was unbelievable.

Sprint: A touch-what? What is that?
    Me: It is a charger
    Sprint: Maybe you could go down to Charge-O-Rama
    (can't remember name of generic cell phone accessory shop)
    Me: Are you kidding?
    Sprint: We don't sell third party chargers here
    Me: ....... (just turned and walked away)
    haha. that made my morning.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Most people don't know or don't care about hardware or specs, all they know is that the Palm Pre is an 'old' phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast