Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So - no snark intended...completely serious here - you think the majority of brand new Pre phones get exchanged because people drop them or spill water on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So - no snark intended...completely serious here - you think the majority of brand new Pre phones get exchanged because people drop them or spill water on them?
    I don't think a person can go through 7+ Pre's treating them like a baby.

I didn't say that there weren't defects, I've gone through A LOT of phones prior to the Pre.
    All phones have a batch of defects. I'm blaming the constant replacements on Sprint.

If I have a broken phone, and I receive a broken phone, who is to blame? Because it all doesn't sit on Palm.

Two of the five replacement Pre's broke within 24 hours. Both within my pocket and both without me ever using it beyond setting it up.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    like I said. I put a phantomskinz cover on it as soon as I get it. I also keep it in the black and orange pouch it came with. I'm VERY careful with it. It has nothing to do with the way I handle it. My pc is down so I can't even add any patches or homebrews. I blame palm. Ya, sprints policy sucks in that after 30 days you get a refurb, but palm makes these things as if they really don't give a damn. People pay good money for these things and the problems can and should be avoided before they even reach the consumer. Software bugs can be expected anytime a new product is rolled out. Hardware defects are totally and completely unacceptable. Noone should have to go replace their phone at the very most a couple times because of harware issues. It's almost @ a point now where a third party should look into the build of these things to see if things are up to par.

a few years ago I got an ipod nano when they came out. After having it for a couple years I got a letter in the mail saying there was a class action lawsuit because the screens scratched too easy and I'd be getting some money. Ya, my screen scratched easy but the damn thing WORKED THE WAY IT SHOULD!
    Ok...so exactly where does Sprint take these well-manufactured devices that Palm creates and turn them into rickety pieces of junk? I'm still waiting for that step in this process flow you've laid out. I mean, I've had a lot of replacements too. Defects usually occurred shortly after I received them. Two developed the USB door crack. One developed the spider crack from the main button toward screen. Screen splotches slowly set in. Stuck pixels...etc.

And Sprint actually gave me three of my Pre phones brand new. Only three have been refurbs.
    Ok...so exactly where does Sprint take these well-manufactured devices that Palm creates and turn them into rickety pieces of junk? I'm still waiting for that step in this process flow you've laid out. I mean, I've had a lot of replacements too. Defects usually occurred shortly after I received them. Two developed the USB door crack. One developed the spider crack from the main button toward screen. Screen splotches slowly set in. Stuck pixels...etc.

And Sprint actually gave me three of my Pre phones brand new. Only three have been refurbs.
    ALL replacements given by Sprint are refirbushed unless you go through Asurion OR they are giving you a different model. [i.e. Centro to Pre]

I'm telling you that the Sprint refurbish process has gone down hill.
    When I GET a replacement where the "R" key doesn't work... I know it wasn't because Palm failed.
    It's because Sprint failed to check the phone completely before releasing it back to the population.
    Actually, if you speak to a store manager at a Sprint repair center corporate store, you most certainly can get a new Palm Pre as an exchange, though it's never guaranteed and is wholly dependent on how nice and available the manager is.

But I've had a Sprint refurb, new Pre, and a Asurion model...(2,3, and 1 of each, respectively), and they all had their problems. Only common denominator was the original manufacturer. Even some of the editors of this site have had to have the phones replaced more than once. It's a pretty widespread phenomenon, not just limited to a tiny "whining" minority that happens to complain loudly on these forums.
    Actually, if you speak to a store manager at a Sprint repair center corporate store, you most certainly can get a new Palm Pre as an exchange, though it's never guaranteed and is wholly dependent on how nice and available the manager is.

But I've had a Sprint refurb, new Pre, and a Asurion model...(2,3, and 1 of each, respectively), and they all had their problems. Only common denominator was the original manufacturer. Even some of the editors of this site have had to have the phones replaced more than once. It's a pretty widespread phenomenon, not just limited to a tiny "whining" minority that happens to complain loudly on these forums.
    Kid, I NEVER said it wasn't Palm's fault too. I NEVER said that the Pre was the highest quality phone out there. I said I blame Sprint for the high turnover in replacements as well.

I never called anyone a "whining minority". Do NOT EVER put words in my mouth.
    Look, Caps McGinty...let's take a deep breath. I'm not putting words or anything else in your mouth. Quotations indicate more than just a direct citation of what someone said. I don't think our positions are that far off, anyway.

I just think Palm is way, way, way more to blame than Sprint. Speaking strictly from my experience getting a Sprint Pre multiple times over 8 months in virtually every fashion one could acquire one.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekoish View Post
    Yesterday I exchanged my Pre for the fourth time. I'm sure that there are some of you that have had to do this more times than me, but I have to say... I'm getting really really tired of doing this.
    First of all, I have to say that I LOVE THIS PHONE. It is by far the best/coolest phone I've ever had. That being said, I'm soooooo tired of dealing with the poor quality of this phone, and whats worse is dealing with the crappy service I get from the sprint stores. I'm on the verge of just saying to hell with this phone, the only thing stopping me is my love of this phone.
    I bought my daughter the Pixi for christmas, as kind of an experiment to see how that phone would hold up. She is on her 2nd phone.
    I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this. If you got rid of your Pre or Pixi, what Sprint phone would you get, or wait for??
    I've replaced my 3 times. I totally understand where you're coming from. I just cannot excuse palm for making such ****ty hardwares. This is the primary reason the Pre isn't selling well. No good salesperson will want to recommend or sell a device knowing that there's a greater change of it being return or exchange.

I can tell you that the only reason I'm putting up with this is because of webOS and the potential it has. The average person would have long looked to another device, because they want a device that should just work as advertised. I am just hoping that the same mistakes isn't made on their next flagship device.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I replace mine twice within the first month. The first time, it just got stuck on the Palm startup screen, wouldn't finish booting and wouldn't turn off. Sprint store couldn't help, had me take it back to Best Buy for a brand new one. Sprint only offered re-furbished. Second phone lasted a week before the proximity sensor that turns off the screen when you're making a call went out, so that whenever I finished a call there were 3 or 4 cards open on the screen. The third and current version has worked like a champ. Except for that damn battery issue since the 1.4 update. But that's a whole different thread......
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am on Palm Pre #7 -- my original purchased on Sprint launch day and now on my 6th refurb. All replacements so far have been due to the headset jack -- although my last one also had liquid damage (from trying to FIX the headphone jack), so that ended up with a $100 copay. I generally make it about 1-2 months before the jack dies on me and the Q-tip/Alcohol trick doesnt save it.
    I'm on my 4th
    I must be lucky. I own 3 pre's. 1 bought on launch day from Best Buy, 1 bought a week later from Sprint, my 3rd pre (the wifes) got on 8-28-09 from Best Buy.

All 3 bought on different times and places, and I only had to return my son's pre once. I did successfully have my launch day pre serviced for the volume toggle problem, but it was still fixed in store without any further problems.

3 phones and only had to exchange 1 once.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    still on my first
    and so is my girl
    and two of my coworkers
    and my sister in law has a pixi
    What a thread... I have had my 1st, last and only Pre since day one. I don't baby it but I definitely don't drop it all over town.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I treat my launch day Pre like my first born...but alas my volume up button died and now I dread getting a replacement. I do look forward to hearing the media player again lol.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    I have installed preware, the package manager service, homebrew patches, etc. On my pre and I am now experiencing some hardware issues. I know that it has nothing to do with any patches I have installed or anything like that. Does having these patches and other homebrews cancel my warantee or can I just go change my phone in for a refurb? If someone could email me with the subject "palm pre" I would greatly appreciate it. Email is 2fast4u2113 @gmail.com no spaces tho. Thanks
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I got my first Pre on Wednesday, Exchanged it yesterday due to "stuck on headphone mode" issue, it was clearly hardware because when I squeezed the upper part of the phone, everything would work. Now UPS is delivering me my replacement today.

Must admit, Sprint has good Customer Service.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    On my original, both of ours.

To spark controversy, if an issue is with a refurbished phone (from Sprint, Verizon or whoever) then the supplier of the refurbished phone is to be blamed for passing a bad phone to another user.

If an issue is with a new phone then blame Palm.

I think we all agree that these phones have been prone to problems yet there are many out there still on their first phones. I'm just saying put blame where blame belongs. If I replace my phone for whatever reason and I get a crap refurbished phone from Sprint then I am going to blame Sprint. If they give me a new (and I mean brand spanking new) phone and it is crap then Palm is to blame. Period.
    I just felt I should shed some light from my perspective.

I just got onto my 2nd Pre a couple of days ago and I had the original since release. Previously, I had the iPhone 3G and was on my 5th one before I switched to the Pre. I hated it so much I gave it away to my stepfather. This phone has barely given my issues compared to the iPhone and I'm able to do so much more and faster. I couldn't be happier.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12