Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I have almost 500 songs on my pre. Using music player remix and one web app brings my pre to it's knees. What good is multitasking if I the cpu/ram are enough to support how I think most people want/will use WebOs.

A fast cpu and a large high res screen, 4 inches like the HD2, would be the perfect mix of phone/tablet. That way webos's power can truly be taken advantage of.
    The obvious.... You haz it....
    Well, while the Pre can do music and video very well, I still see it as more of a "business" phone than a "media" phone.

That's just my perception though.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    It might be the 500th song that is causing the issue...

Seriously, how many apps and games do you have downloaded? How much free memory do you have left? What are you trying to do when ''it brings you Pre to it's knees'' Listening to music and using one app shouldn't be kiiling the performance, you probably have something else going on like a memory leak or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    I have almost 500 songs on my pre. Using music player remix and one web app brings my pre to it's knees. What good is multitasking if I the cpu/ram are enough to support how I think most people want/will use WebOs.

A fast cpu and a large high res screen, 4 inches like the HD2, would be the perfect mix of phone/tablet. That way webos's power can truly be taken advantage of.
    I have over 1000 songs on my Pre and run Music Player (Remix) all the time while browsing on the web and my Pre is never "brought to its knees" with only these 2 apps running. I think you have something else going on behind the scenes causing your slowdowns.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I don't find the performance that bad, and if you compare the actual screen size, it's not really much smaller than the iphone (the iphone has a LOT of bezel). I think it's battery life that is hurting it. It's a very adept music, video and gaming device.....but only if you want to have to charge your phone after 3 hours. I know there are dozens of posts to this effect, but Palm MUST address this....I suspect it has a lot to do with why the Pre hasn't taken off. It's a borderline miraclous piece of hardware with a great OS...but I feel like we are all still beta testing. Palm should offer 'at cost' extended batteries or additional oem batteries for existing customers....
    I'll tell you what. I think the Sprint Pre's are somewhat crippled. Yeah, I know Sprint is cheaper. But, I keep hearing about people talking about lag, slow, response, etc. (Never really heard much about the small screen size. But with my Verizon Pre Plus, I just don't see these issues. It's fast and I usually have at least 10 cards open, multiple browser cards, email, sms, weather, quick contacts, Splash ID, TweeFree (great program, btw), Preware, App catolog. I can easily open games (Traffic5), videos (including recording a video), Pandora, and it keeps on working smooth and quick. (Yeah, my battery life sucks, but I have a Touchstone).

I am really sorry that so many people seem be having performance issues, but it seems that unfortunately, the Sprint ones just don't have the memory to run it like it should. I'm not trying to say go to Verizon, but with the right hardware, WebOS is awesome!

Oh, and if people really have performance issues, they should try WebOS Doctor and then see how it works.
    More CPU power would do WebOS nicely too. I leave my phone at 600Mhz and the thing just flies through stuff. And I can actually have multiple browser cards open now! It's getting better, but my one year upgrade is coming up and I'm hoping for something new and shiny from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    More CPU power would do WebOS nicely too. I leave my phone at 600Mhz and the thing just flies through stuff. And I can actually have multiple browser cards open now! It's getting better, but my one year upgrade is coming up and I'm hoping for something new and shiny from Palm.
    Yeah, I have the 600mhz patch in too and maybe that makes a difference.
    The smaller size (compared to the Droid for example) is exactly what makes the Pre attractive in my eyes (and to others I've talked to). Those other phones, although "impressive" in a technical sense (faster(?), bigger, you name it..) are just impractical as an everyday phone. That means, too bulky to just have them with you all the time.

I wouldn't mind having more memory, faster cpu, etc. as long as the pyhsical size would remain and battery runtime wouldn't suffer. The size is just perfect to allow smartphone usage without being too bulky.
    If it would have been larger (like the above mentioned phones, Iphone is also already too big in my eyes) I had looked for another phone.

So please, leave the form factor as it is. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by palimpalim View Post
    The smaller size (compared to the Droid for example) is exactly what makes the Pre attractive in my eyes (and to others I've talked to).

So please, leave the form factor as it is. I love it.
    i agree wit palimpalim

love the size and the build and if u add that to the decent(not the best) functionality it makes the pre very appealing
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    While I have nothing but respect for those who like small screens and nothing bigger, I think given the popularity of larger-screened devices in the market right now (e.g. HD2, iPhone, Droid), you guys would have to admit Palm needs such a device to remain competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I have over 1000 songs on my Pre and run Music Player (Remix) all the time while browsing on the web and my Pre is never "brought to its knees" with only these 2 apps running. I think you have something else going on behind the scenes causing your slowdowns.
    Nah, I'm with the OP, this is standard Pre behavior. It shouldn't take the 5-6 seconds it takes to move between songs and screens in the music app that it does, but stock or not, 500mhz or 600mhz, music player alone or not, the Pre does this. If you doctor it, it will speed up for about a day and after that, it's the laggiest, slowest POS player you have ever seen.

On the bright side, I do not think this is the fault of the's hardware so much as it is the result of whoever programmed the music app doing a **** poor job of it. NANplayer is blazing, however, I do worry that it will have the same audio lag as the stock app and Music (remix), however, this is again now the hardware, but a problem with how the audio is managed on webOS.
    Honestly, if the Pre were bigger, I wouldn't have gotten it. I understand why some people like that, but I want something to throw in my pocket. I've looked at iPhones and the size and lack of a real keyboard cross them off the list. At least for me.

Would a tablet style phone from Palm be cool and help them compete? Sure. But I still wouldn't get it.
    I love my phone... That's my pre.
    What's been holding back Webos is definitely related to the quality of the Pre's ability to run the OS.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I think palm needs better quality hardware that are leaps and bounds ahead of their current offerings on the pre(+). Palm also need a new flagship device above the pre that is gear toward the multimedia crowd. A device that meets or exceeds the spec of google's nexus 1.
    This will complete the lineup.
    1. Messaging smart phone: pixi
    2. Business smart phone: pre
    3. Multimedia smart phone: nexus 1 like device:

Of course for all this to work, they got to have stellar hard built quality, high grade construction and materials.
    Keep in mind, also, that Sprint and Verizon are going to put their dollars and muscle toward the highest-end and biggest screen devices they have in order to spur usage of video services over WiMax and LTE in the next 6-18 months.

If Palm doesn't have something on that train, it will continue to be left behind to eke out a (if any) existence by its rivals.
    i wasnt aware that the screen size changed after you bought it
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i wasnt aware that the screen size changed after you bought it
    It doesn't, but the market/consumer demand does.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast