Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    this guy is just an *****... in his first sentence he over exaggerated , by saying that palms stock was nearly a dollar.. i may not be much but its not a dollar.. bah i dont waste my time with this drivile...

<unsubscribe></unsubscribe>
  2.    #3  
    Currently Palm stock is trading at 5.62... In fairness he is correct from an economic stand point. I love Palm and wish it all the success, but constant articles like this could drive developers and investors away. Palm truly needs a win with AT&T
    Palm stock at $5.77 at market open today, expected to go up. Dropped by 50% or so over the last three months from a $12.50 average. That's not all that awful, and certainly not one dollar.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    this guy is just an *****... in his first sentence he over exaggerated , by saying that palms stock was nearly a dollar.. i may not be much but its not a dollar.. bah i dont waste my time with this drivile...
    Did you read the sentence? He gave a range of the past TWO YEARS, and, indeed, in Dec. of 2008 just before the Pre announcement, Palm was trading near $1.

Most of the article is correct as well. As appealing as WebOS is, it's not helping them to meet their financial targets with the current handset offering, hence Rubinstein's statements and internal emails from a a few weeks back. Let's see what their financials are like when they announce 8 days from now.
    A company's stock is no indication how good of a company or good a company's products are. They are just in indication how many products of theirs are in demand and what the future outlook in sales looks like.

Much like the Zune HD, the Pre is an excellent piece of technology that the masses haven't really caught onto. Why? Advertising, the Apple marketing machine stealing sales with their snazzy ad's and mindshare.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Did you read the sentence? He gave a range of the past TWO YEARS, and, indeed, in Dec. of 2008 just before the Pre announcement, Palm was trading near $1.

Most of the article is correct as well. As appealing as WebOS is, it's not helping them to meet their financial targets with the current handset offering, hence Rubinstein's statements and internal emails from a a few weeks back. Let's see what their financials are like when they announce 8 days from now.
    actually much like i did yours ... i just glanced at the first few words... its my ADD

we are 1 year and a half later

and they have increased shown major increase since then... so if you take the $1 from over a year ago than take the fact that they have improved to close to $6 in just a year
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    A company's stock is no indication how good of a company or good a company's products are. They are just in indication how many products of theirs are in demand and what the future outlook in sales looks like.
    When you're talking a company as tiny and cash poor as Palm, stock performance most certainly is an indication of "how good" they are or are doing.

Much like the Zune HD, the Pre is an excellent piece of technology that the masses haven't really caught onto. Why? Advertising, the Apple marketing machine stealing sales with their snazzy ad's and mindshare.
    Uh, no. Apple isn't "stealing" sales. They are earning them with effective, informative ads that tell you exactly what the device does and how it can be of use to virtually anybody. By contrast, Palm's ads tell you virtually nothing about the device and how it can be of use to you. The carrier ads for the Pre and Pixi range from awful (the first Verizon ads) to pretty neat if uninspired (Bell's ads), but those devices have sold relatively poorly on each and every carrier, regardless of how popular they are.

"Better" ads for the Pre and Pixi are pointless now. Those devices, even in Plus form, are old news, and it would be throwing good and PRECIOUS money after bad at this point. If WebOS is ever to bloom or explode, it must do it on a significantly different device. The Pre and Pixi are toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    and they have increased shown major increase since then... so if you take the $1 from over a year ago than take the fact that they have improved to close to $6 in just a year

I think it was Malcolm X who said it best when he noted that you can't stick a knife in a man's back nine inches deep, pull it out six inches, and call it progress.

Keep in mind that the buoyancy that took the stock from $1-whatever to whatever heights it has achieved since then was based on hype (e.g. CES, product launches, etc.), whereas the freefall has been based on RESULTS, as in the underwhelming financials announced by Palm every quarter since the launch of the Pre.

And those results have steadily gone in the wrong direction no matter which rabbit (e.g. launch on the nation's largest carrier, launch a second device, port iPhone games) Palm pulls out of its shrinking hat. Something has to give, and Palm's financials don't indicate that they have a lot of "give" left.

I think it was Malcolm X who said it best when he noted that you can't stick a knife in a man's back nine inches deep, pull it out six inches, and call it progress.
    tell that to the guy with the knife in him.. "Im not sure if if i can take the knife out all the way, so ill just leave it in"
  10.    #11  
    Well even if we use the facts that Palms shares in October 09 were $18 and now around $6 is not indicative of progress . It is because of Palms partnerships that they have currency on hand. Without it they would be pretty much through. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the next close door board meeting
    When you're talking a company as tiny and cash poor as Palm, stock performance most certainly is an indication of "how good" they are or are doing.

Uh, no. Apple isn't "stealing" sales. They are earning them with effective, informative ads that tell you exactly what the device does and how it can be of use to virtually anybody. By contrast, Palm's ads tell you virtually nothing about the device and how it can be of use to you. The carrier ads for the Pre and Pixi range from awful (the first Verizon ads) to pretty neat if uninspired (Bell's ads), but those devices have sold relatively poorly on each and every carrier, regardless of how popular they are.

"Better" ads for the Pre and Pixi are pointless now. Those devices, even in Plus form, are old news, and it would be throwing good and PRECIOUS money after bad at this point. If WebOS is ever to bloom or explode, it must do it on a significantly different device. The Pre and Pixi are toast.
    Oh good grief, what a ridiculously stupid thing to say. Are you saying they are "toast" right now? In a month from now? Sometime next year? If you're going to state such things, I'd say you should be a little more specific so other can judge the validity of your statements. Everything made will eventually be gone. I'd say it's time to back up the negativity with something a little concrete so we can all judge.

Keep in mind that the buoyancy that took the stock from $1-whatever to whatever heights it has achieved since then was based on hype (e.g. CES, product launches, etc.), whereas the freefall has been based on RESULTS, as in the underwhelming financials announced by Palm every quarter since the launch of the Pre.

And those results have steadily gone in the wrong direction no matter which rabbit (e.g. launch on the nation's largest carrier, launch a second device, port iPhone games) Palm pulls out of its shrinking hat. Something has to give, and Palm's financials don't indicate that they have a lot of "give" left.
    Actually, your summarization about "results" is overlooking one major fact.

The current "results" are still approximately 3x greater than where Palm was at before they announced the Pre.
  13.    #14  
    The current "results" are still approximately 3x greater than where Palm was at before they announced the Pre.[/QUOTE]

While accurate it is still falling at a rate of $1 + a month at this rate without some serious marketing push it will be a dollar. Come to think of it by the time Pre and Pixi hit At&t, they will already have a hot new Android phone and Winmo 7 on the horizon. So I do not see a big marketing push their either.
    Palm's top 5 mistakes since webOS?

5. Not much effort on Palm's part to promote touchstone, develop in-car version, etc.

4. Bad quality Pre's. It's like a box of chocolates right?

3. The Pixi.

2. Some of the worst ads ever. Fails to show off the OS. Fails to recapture those CES moments.

and drumroll...and probably not what you're expecting and JMO..

1. Failed to stick with sprint for a longer term exclusive like 1-2 years. Palm would've had more cash, longer time to incubate, and work on 1.x issues. Both would have benefited more if done right.
    I thought the comments by "Jako" were better than the article itself. I think it's also worth noting, the article is about Palm stock, not Palm devices. It really on hints at the writer's opinion about the viability of Palm. The fact is (as Jako pointed out), Palm is very much like a startup company in a very competitive field. It's not doing badly from that perspective, but buying their stock is definitely a high risk gamble (with a possibility of high gains).
    Cardfan
    Don't forget overhyped updates that take one step forward and two steps back.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    While accurate it is still falling at a rate of $1 + a month at this rate without some serious marketing push it will be a dollar. Come to think of it by the time Pre and Pixi hit At&t, they will already have a hot new Android phone and Winmo 7 on the horizon. So I do not see a big marketing push their either.
    Sorry, you can't make that assessment based on short term results. It would have been just as inaccurate to have said, 6 months ago, that Palm's stock was rising at a rate of $2 a month.
  18.    #19  
    Well if you base off of a trending chart as in the diagram in the article it is an accurate assessment. However it is not a conclusive finding as stock can rebound on a whim.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh good grief, what a ridiculously stupid thing to say. Are you saying they are "toast" right now? In a month from now? Sometime next year? If you're going to state such things, I'd say you should be a little more specific so other can judge the validity of your statements. Everything made will eventually be gone. I'd say it's time to back up the negativity with something a little concrete so we can all judge.
    Herbie, you're the best. I'd be insulted at your lack of manners, but I know when you say "stupid", you really mean that you don't understand it (well...that and a lot of other things). No prob. I got you, baby.

Yes, when someone uses the present tense in a sentence, they generally mean "right now." The Pre and the Pixi - as viable devices that will substantially increase mindshare, profitability, and viability for Palm - are toast.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast