Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    You must have missed the massive marketing blitz for Windows 7, all the Jeep commercials on cable TV, every music related magazine that has two or more full-page Fender ads..........slept in a bit this decade, did ya? I mean, you can barely go through a half dozen web pages without seeing an ad for Dell, Ford markets the F-150 like it came out last week for the first time, on and on and on.......

    Successful brands market constantly. They don't stop. I could list a dozen more, if I wanted to. Benadryl's been on the OTS market for how many years, but I bet come allergy season, you'll be carpet bombed with ads.
    Each and every one of your examples markets current and/or upcoming models OR they market current and/or upcoming sales on existing models. But what they have all done beforehand is define what their product is, what it'll do for you, and why this latest version continues that legacy.

    Palm has yet to do that with WebOS, and so it's pointless to keep pouring money into marketing hardware that runs WebOS until you tell people what WebOS actually does. Google/Motorola/Verizon unleashed some quite effective commercials that defined what Android 2.0 did and how it could help you FAR better than T-Mobile's celebrity-laden MyTouch commercials. Is it any wonder why Droid is the fastest-selling and most popular Android handset out there?

    The smartphone market runs in 9-12 month cycles. Even the mighty Apple always has a new product refresh for the iPhone available for sale in that period. And because they have the most popular brand, it makes sense for them to introduce new models with minimal changes. Conversely, Palm has one of the least popular brands, and its current models have failed to catch on at multiple carriers. Thus, it makes sense for their upcoming refresh to stray as far from those models - while still enhancing and embracing WebOS - as possible. It's just common sense. The Pre and the Pixi are models that will never, ever, ever, ever have the cache of a F-150 or a Fender Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul or Benadryl or whatever else have you. So why keep pouring money into a brand that is already lagging instead of building a new one?
  2. #62  
    I noticed you edited the McDonald's reference out. That product hasn't changed one iota since 1967............yet, there it is. Constantly marketed.

    I think you're missing a point here.
  3. #63  
    its sad that threads like this one get bumped all the way down...

    We should be reading These kinds of articles instead

    Keep the positivity up and negativity down!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    I noticed you edited the McDonald's reference out. That product hasn't changed one iota since 1967............yet, there it is. Constantly marketed.

    I think you're missing a point here.
    I didn't edit anything out. You added it after I initially cited your post. And it fits perfectly into what I was saying. The BigMac is a successful brand, and marketing it is throwing good money after good. That's a basic rule of business. Conversely, the Pre and Pixi are NOT successful brands. For Palm to throw a lot of money marketing them now is throwing good money after bad.

    Beyond that, Palm's product is really WebOS, not any one particular handset.

    Also, I take issue with the perception that this is a negative thread or that myself or Untidy Guy are doomsayers who are gleefully anticipating Palm's demise. This is a pragmatic thread, and I think it serves everyone interested in WebOS and Palm - regardless of how happy they are personally with their handset or stock offering - to take a cold-eyed look at these financials and ponder why the current strategy and models aren't working. I think anyone rooting for Palm's demise is not only a fool, but a jerk because this would mean a lot of people losing jobs and money. And it is out of that concern that I want to see Palm do better. But I don't see how that happens continuing on the current course. As cliche as it is, the definition of insanity seems to indeed do the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. These models have produced declining sales and not enough revenue across several different carriers. AT&T isn't going to be magically different. Put them out to pasture, and unleash a model and new brand that will change that.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...Snappy comebacks on the list, too, Herb? Well, at least you're happy. That's gotta count for something. Lemme know what else I can explain for you.
    Explain??? What did you explain? I keep having to explain for you. But that's OK, it's interesting to watch, and in spite of your assertions to the contrary, I'm still smiling over it.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Interestingly enough, had Palm ever been to able to unleash ads as effective and informative as the ones for the iPhone, this entire thread would likely be moot for a number of reasons.

    In any case, the iPhone is the exception that proves this rule.
    OK, now you're going to have to explain. How would better advertising have made the devices better. You seem to be switching a bit on what they "gameplan" should be.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    I noticed you edited the McDonald's reference out. That product hasn't changed one iota since 1967............yet, there it is. Constantly marketed.

    I think you're missing a point here.
    Actually, McDonalds has changed quite a bit. Now they offer food for people on a diet, people that don't eat meat and a coffee menu that's meant to knock Starbucks.
    Quite a bit different then it used to be.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, now you're going to have to explain. How would better advertising have made the devices better. You seem to be switching a bit on what they "gameplan" should be.
    Herbie, baby....reading.

    This thread isn't about the quality of the devices. It's about the performance of the stock and their financials, which ties directly into the sales of the devices. Last time I checked, effective advertising is a major factor there.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Also, I take issue with the perception that this is a negative thread or that myself or Untidy Guy are doomsayers who are gleefully anticipating Palm's demise. This is a pragmatic thread, and I think it serves everyone interested in WebOS and Palm - regardless of how happy they are personally with their handset or stock offering - to take a cold-eyed look at these financials and ponder why the current strategy and models aren't working. I think anyone rooting for Palm's demise is not only a fool, but a jerk because this would mean a lot of people losing jobs and money. And it is out of that concern that I want to see Palm do better. But I don't see how that happens continuing on the current course. As cliche as it is, the definition of insanity seems to indeed do the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. These models have produced declining sales and not enough revenue across several different carriers. AT&T isn't going to be magically different. Put them out to pasture, and unleash a model and new brand that will change that.
    Sorry dude, you are so far off the mark. Even the article that this article references talks about how good the devices are, yet you gleefully claim they are toast - simply because you don't like them. The fact is that you did a "night and day" on the topic. From the time you decided that you no longer liked the device, it became a loss. That's not "pragmatism", it's egotism.

    While Palm's devices aren't where Palm want them to be (yet), the fact of the matter is that the device is still selling, continues to have new applications written for it, and continues to attract enthusiastic new users.

    In other words, the "toast" nonsense is just that - nonsense.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Actually, McDonalds has changed quite a bit. Now they offer food for people on a diet, people that don't eat meat and a coffee menu that's meant to knock Starbucks.
    Quite a bit different then it used to be.
    Core menu hasn't. That particular product hasn't changed one bit since it was invented. Even has the same number of seeds per bun, same weight, same fat content, same everything.

    Off topic, anyway. The iPhone is interesting, it's been marketed heavily, yes, but check eBay and Craigslist. Geez, even in my tiny little state, that only has one city listing, there's two or three up for sale every day. Marketing worked, sure, but people are getting rid of them way too often as well.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, baby....reading.

    This thread isn't about the quality of the devices. It's about the performance of the stock and their financials, which ties directly into the sales of the devices. Last time I checked, effective advertising is a major factor there.
    Maybe it's you that needs to do a little closer reading. That maybe what the thread is all about to you, but here's a couple nuggets from you and Untidy Guy (who you quoted as being a fellow pragmatist in assessing Palm's issues).

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Palm can fix the hardware issues with a bigger, more powerful device with fewer moving parts....
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pre and Pixi are toast because, like it or not, the current hardware is considered to be lackluster. If investors believed that the current hardware was what Palm is going to go forward with then the price of the stock would tank even more...
    ...While webOS has some value, the Palm hardware business is considered to be worth nothing. The smartphone market is sending a clear signal to Palm to completely revamp their hardware.
    Untidy Guy listed the hardware as the reason the devices are "toast".

    You two aren't discussing, you're ranting.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry dude, you are so far off the mark. Even the article that this article references talks about how good the devices are, yet you gleefully claim they are toast - simply because you don't like them. The fact is that you did a "night and day" on the topic. From the time you decided that you no longer liked the device, it became a loss. That's not "pragmatism", it's egotism.
    No, Herbie...you're just lying your tush off. I have never asserted that the Pre and Pixi are toast "simply because I don't like them". The fact of the matter is that I not only bought a Pre on launch day, but got another Pre - even after I left and acquired a HTC Hero - because I was fascinated with the PDK announcement and the enhancements 1.4 was to bring. Me "liking" the device is not only irrelevant, but also never part of this discussion, despite your best efforts. This thread is about financial performance, and I have repeatedly and clearly tied in my assessment of these devices being toast to one thing and one thing only - SALES. I said it for the first time when Rubinstein revised estimate figures downward recently post-Verizon launch.

    While Palm's devices aren't where Palm want them to be (yet), the fact of the matter is that the device is still selling, continues to have new applications written for it, and continues to attract enthusiastic new users.

    In other words, the "toast" nonsense is just that - nonsense.
    People have patronized and utilized virtually every discontinued device or bankrupt business...right until the day they physically could not. Are you seriously offering that as a criterion for whether a product is viable or not? Were the Sega Dreamcast or Pontiac Fiero or Betamax video cassette or DivX physical format or Circuit City electronics chain all viable, healthy entities only until the very second that their respective corporations put them out of their misery?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Marketing worked, sure, but people are getting rid of them way too often as well.
    Sorry, but their consistently robust retail sales of new devices more than offset the secondhand iPhone market.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe it's you that needs to do a little closer reading. That maybe what the thread is all about to you, but here's a couple nuggets from you and Untidy Guy (who you quoted as being a fellow pragmatist in assessing Palm's issues).

    Untidy Guy listed the hardware as the reason the devices are "toast".

    You two aren't discussing, you're ranting.
    Herbie, the hardware is the only possible reason a specific device could be toast while the company and software are not necessarily toast.

    How is that not obvious to you?
  15. #75  
    Did anyone catch this article?

    comScore Reports January 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

    Palm is actually losing market share.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sorry, but their consistently robust retail sales of new devices more than offset the secondhand iPhone market.
    And it's also harming their image. People are getting rid of them for a reason. We're not talking first gen phones, here. 3Gs, newest model.

    You're completely missing the point, anyway. Have fun arguing.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    And it's also harming their image. People are getting rid of them for a reason. We're not talking first gen phones, here. 3Gs, newest model.

    You're completely missing the point, anyway. Have fun arguing.
    No interest in arguing. Lots of interest in hearing you elaborate on the "harm" being done to Apple with this crazy strategy that has catapulted them from zero to 20 percent or so marketshare in three years in the most competitive and fastest growing mobile market (smartphones).
  18. #78  
    Gah............go google Fender CBS. Have fun reading. Dang near put them out of business, that move.

    Off to do something productive.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, the hardware is the only possible reason a specific device could be toast while the company and software are not necessarily toast.

    How is that not obvious to you?
    You seem to be contridicting yourself.

    You said the Pre and Pixi were toast. Not that Palm was toast. Then you said you've not been talking about the hardware. Now you say that hardware is the only possible reason a specific device could be toast.

    So, when you said the Pre and Pix were toast, were you not talking about specific hardware?

    I think your over-emotional involvement in the discussion is making you forget which story you've told.
  20. #80  
    Yeah, Herbie. I'm worked up. Whooo. Lemme sit down for a sec.

    I have not contradicted myself. Since you are asserting I am, please provide the quotes to illustrate this. Meanwhile, I'll head over to Bing and find some yoga poses to calm my frazzled nerves.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions