Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, I have a friend who owns and loves - to this day - his Sega Dreamcast. Works like a charm. That platform is and has been toast for quite some time. You're welcome.

Sincerely,
    Mikah912.
    Apples to oranges. Sega no longer makes the device. Palm Pres and Pixis are currently being made, currently being sold, currently being improved upon, and daily now have new software coming out for them.

I think you're going to have to (continually) modify the "toast" definition (which was my point all along).

And, you're quite welcome.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    And around in circles we go.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pre and Pixi are toast because, like it or not, the current hardware is considered to be lackluster. If investors believed that the current hardware was what Palm is going to go forward with then the price of the stock would tank even more. The Pre and Pixi did not catch on with Sprint. The Plus versions are a difficult sell on Verizon. Nobody expects AT&T to bring very much more.

While webOS has some value, the Palm hardware business is considered to be worth nothing. The smartphone market is sending a clear signal to Palm to completely revamp their hardware.
    B-b-but I like my Pre and WebOS has a bright future, so therefore....it's not toast.

RIGHT?

Also, 2+2=15.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pre and Pixi are toast because, like it or not, the current hardware is considered to be lackluster. If investors believed that the current hardware was what Palm is going to go forward with then the price of the stock would tank even more. The Pre and Pixi did not catch on with Sprint. The Plus versions are a difficult sell on Verizon. Nobody expects AT&T to bring very much more.

While webOS has some value, the Palm hardware business is considered to be worth nothing. The smartphone market is sending a clear signal to Palm to completely revamp their hardware.
    Unfortunately, you're using your own views to validate your views. I could make a similar statement that "If investors believed that the current hardware wouldn't carry Palm forward, the stock would drop to its pre-Pre (pun intended) level".

On the one hand, I do suspect that Palm is going to offer another handset, but I don't believe they are going to drop the Pre or the Pixi. I believe they will have a third handset. More importantly, I believe that whatever handset they do offer, they will maintain compatibility with the current devices. That is what will prevent them from being "toast".

I've never owned a Palm device for more than a 2 years, and only one for that long. If the current crop lasts me a year, and the new offering(s) maintains software compatibility, I'll be fine with sticking with them.

If things change, I don't mind changing companies either.
    I believe in Palm and now just might be the time to put my money where my mouth is..
    Buying some Palm Stock! $100 maybe worth something in 2-3 yrs..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    B-b-but I like my Pre and WebOS has a bright future, so therefore....it's not toast.

RIGHT?

Also, 2+2=15.
    Interesting viewpoint, but I'd have to say, it's not your opinion of your device that will determine the outlook for WebOS. As I stated in my previous post, it's the fact that there many of us satisfied with our purchase that make us anticipate a bright future with them.

Your logic above explains why you'd think "2+2=15", as well as a lot of your other views.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting viewpoint, but I'd have to say, it's not your opinion of your device that will determine the outlook for WebOS. As I stated in my previous post, it's the fact that there many of us satisfied with our purchase that make us anticipate a bright future with them.

Your logic above explains why you'd think "2+2=15", as well as a lot of your other views.
    There are also contingents who believe that the moon landing was a hoax when reality tells us otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    Currently Palm stock is trading at 5.62... In fairness he is correct from an economic stand point. I love Palm and wish it all the success, but constant articles like this could drive developers and investors away. Palm truly needs a win with AT&T
    I completly agree, it's tons of articles bashing Palm. I have some gripes but for the most part keep them to my self or at a minimal. I really want palm to succeed. I think it's a great product, that the masses need to know about (thus the reason why 3 out of 5 of my friends own a Pre) LETS GO PALM
    Herbie, I guess I gotta add satire to the long list of things you struggle with. Makes me sad.
    I sold my Palm stock (bought when dirt months before webOS) for a nice gain last year. It was around a couple months after the launch and shortly after hearing about the Pixi i think.

It didn't take a genius to figure out which direction Palm was heading especially after going through so many Pre's. The keystone cop nature of the new Palm team just sucked out much of my enthusiasm. I remember at the time feeling lucky the stock rose as high as it did. The decreasing sales from the last two reported quarters confirmed things were headed in reverse.

Forward to now, the stock is at a recent low and i'm not shocked. It was predictable. But is it a good time to buy once again? Well, why was it a good idea (but still a risk) in latter half of 2008? For me, i knew Palm had a new OS coming out. Palm had hired Ruby. The new team at Palm would run things better. And basically the stock had nowhere to go but up.

Those reasons aren't in play anymore. The new team has confirmed to me that it's old Palm still running the show (for all practical purposes). Too many stumbles all around to have any faith in the Ruby led team. Running out of ways to get cash.

So too risky for me. But that's not to say i wouldn't have any interest in a new Palm device or that they won't somehow rebound. I'm just not willing to bet on it happening.
    Herbie, I guess I gotta add satire to the long list of things you struggle with. Makes me sad.
    Oh, I recognized your petty attempt, just wanted to point out how far your "recap" was from what I had actually said. Ther's no doubt that something accounts for you sad state, but don't make it about me, I'm content.
    ...Snappy comebacks on the list, too, Herb? Well, at least you're happy. That's gotta count for something. Lemme know what else I can explain for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Those reasons aren't in play anymore. The new team has confirmed to me that it's old Palm still running the show (for all practical purposes). Too many stumbles all around to have any faith in the Ruby led team. Running out of ways to get cash.

So too risky for me. But that's not to say i wouldn't have any interest in a new Palm device or that they won't somehow rebound. I'm just not willing to bet on it happening.
    I think it's possible for them to rebound once again, but not one iota of progress will be made on that front until Palm acknowledges the current game plan and devices are not getting the job done and somehow finds a way top gracefully transition to a new flagship WebOS device, EOL the Pre and Pixi as quietly as possible, and somehow learns to define and market WebOS with the tiniest war chest of cash.

Possible...but not easy or likely.
    My 2 cents here.

The mega loss of palm stock value means they lost a CRAPLOAD of capital that could be use to make better devices/services. This MEGA drop is going to force them to go conservative to which being that in a HIGHLY completive market is really not an option. This is what has got palm fans like me VERY concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    And around in circles we go.
    I know, that seems to happen a lot here.

Stock is just an indicator. That's all. I mean, if you stick a thermometer in your mouth (or wherever you happen to use one......please, don't tell me) and you've got a mild temp, that's not proof you're gonna die from swine flu.
    "Better" ads for the Pre and Pixi are pointless now. Those devices, even in Plus form, are old news, and it would be throwing good and PRECIOUS money after bad at this point. If WebOS is ever to bloom or explode, it must do it on a significantly different device. The Pre and Pixi are toast.
    Gee, no more old news than the iphone!
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/11/2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Gee, no more old news that the iphone!
    Interestingly enough, had Palm ever been to able to unleash ads as effective and informative as the ones for the iPhone, this entire thread would likely be moot for a number of reasons.

In any case, the iPhone is the exception that proves this rule.

In any case, the iPhone is the exception that proves this rule.
    Windows?
    Jeep?
    Cheez-its?
    Fender?
    Are you just listing random name brands that ostensibly aren't well-advertised, yet endure anyway?

Elaborate on the point you're making, por favor.
    You must have missed the massive marketing blitz for Windows 7, all the Jeep commercials on cable TV, every music related magazine that has two or more full-page Fender ads..........slept in a bit this decade, did ya? I mean, you can barely go through a half dozen web pages without seeing an ad for Dell, Ford markets the F-150 like it came out last week for the first time, everybody in the civilised world knows where to get a Big Mac, but they still pound you with ads, my cable TV company hits me with ads for upgraded services, on and on and on.......

Successful brands market constantly. They don't stop. I could list a dozen more, if I wanted to. Benadryl's been on the OTS market for how many years, but I bet come allergy season, you'll be carpet bombed with ads.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/11/2010 at 09:43 AM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast