Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi people,

I'm gonna talk a bit about how I came to fancy a Pre and I'm interested in hearing your opinions wether I should get it or not.

I've owned a droid (milestone actually) and sold it after 3 weeks because to me android seemed like a mess. I've been an iphone user since 2007 (still am with a 3gs) and the unintuitive app management, the messy multitasking, lower quality apps and specially games, less responsive and accurate touchscreen, flimsy slider, flimsy camera button, flimsy battery cover, slow camera, unresponsive main keys, bad battery life, among other things really became irritating. A phone that is even hard to use with one hand and hard to simply put it out of a pocket and do basic stuff without having to 'search' for things, or redo gestures (the notification bar almost NEVER responds in the first flick for example), repress keys, etc. It was almost unacceptable. And it wasn't a faulty unit, I replaced my first phone and checked other phones and is the same thing. The truth is that if there wasn't a certain 'google name' behind android, many people would just disregard it as a 'messy' os that tries to be iphone os and windows mobile at the same time.
    Sometimes I think droid (or milestone's) success is really a marketing move. People want the ui and new technologies of the iphone but don't accept its limitations so they created this 'droid does' thing and everybody bought it. The truth is that droid's user experience is nothing compared to the iphone and if you compare the number and quality of programs, the iphone has actually many more functions than the droid.

But, enough with android. I've actually been 'eyeing' the palm pre since ces 2009. The UI is amazing, I even downloaded the sdk last year just to play with the emulator and have a little taste of webOS. But then the apps weren't so powerful (web code only) so I ended up forgetting about it...but that's about to change with the PDK so my 'Pre ideas' kinda came back to life lol. The Pre would be my second smartphone since I'm not willing to give up on my 3gs, I've been through that experience with the milestone and oh god how I've regreted it.

My concern is that I've never used a Pre because is not available officially in my country. I've read reviews that say the milestone (droid) is better than the pre plus which actually suprises me. I think is kinda hard to believe but if it's really true than I'm headed for another disappointment and I wanna avoid that.
    I use my smartphone for mail, web, twitter, facebook, games and a few med apps.
    What have you guys found in the 'real' use of the Pre that was very 'different' from how you thought the device was before you bought it?

I know is a long post, thanks for reading!
    since you've used the iphone and the droid i'd say probably avoid the pre for now :S

why?
    its not built well, and if you are not in a country where it is officially sold you could have problems returning it/repairing it.....

apps are not great on the Pre, the android system has better apps! for example they have skype!

where are you from by the way?

my advise is to avoid for now.......give it another year and it should hopefully be more mature.....right now i miss my old N82
    i have had my pre for about 8 months now and it is the best phone i have ever had, now mind you i havent had an iphone or a droid but the multi-tasking abilities are great and i use it for pretty much the same things you do, facebook, twitter, email and gaming and its great for all those things(well maybe not email) It does have its issues the biggest one for me being battery life but there are ways to improve on that if u r willing to try. The phone ability to be patched make it very customizeable to a persons liking, jus my opinion hope it helps a lil
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Coming from an iPhone and switching to a Pre I can only say I'd do it again any time.
    I also come from a country where the Pre is not officially available.
    I didn't have any problems so far but I thend to take good care of my stuff (for ex. I don't keep my phone in the pocket of my trousers).
    The main thing to be aware of is that it might get annoying if you have to send it back for some reason.
    As far as the device and OS goes I can only highly recommend it, took me half an hour to "forget" all about my iPhone (and it was heavily tweaked and loaded with apps).
  5.    #5  
    Hum... I do worry about the quality issues.
    Did you find that the 1.4 update adressed the speed issues of webOS? Have you tried the new EA games? Are they really as good as on the iPhone? Can the Pre multitask easily with these games running?
    Quote Originally Posted by sloopjohnb View Post
    Did you find that the 1.4 update adressed the speed issues of webOS? Have you tried the new EA games? Are they really as good as on the iPhone? Can the Pre multitask easily with these games running?
    well, to be fair i am a heavy user when it comes to phones. I have the iphone 36 too.

with 1.4 it does fix some issues, but not the speed.
    battery life is 10hours, which means if you don't charge before going to bed, the phone will be dead bfore you wake up!
    the ea games are nice, but there are only a handful of high quality games, also they will rinseyour battery.

alarm doesn't allow you to set times like 10.02am, only set times.
    also there is no real IM support, unless you use google for everything, in which you should have stuck with android.

multitaking is more or less the same as the iphones. I can't listen to music whilst playing games, says not enough memory. I can email and listening to music, but if i try to open more apps the phone becomes tooo slow.

seriously, the OS is great, but not ready for mass release. Each time i play with the iphone i can feel the difference in quality.....like playing with an iphone and a hiphone (chinese fake copy).

if you can wait i'd say wait till next year, otherwise stick with the iphone or get the xperia X10
  7.    #7  
    When you say the battery lasts 10h you mean stand-by?
    There's no IM support? There's no app that does msn?
    You hiphone comparison really scared me... I really hate these Chinese rip-offs :/
    I bought the Pre with my heart and not my brain. I know the app store is limited right now but hey so is droid's.

Ok we all think that the Pre slider is a bit flimpsy but I rather have that, than an iturd brick. Just too big and too clunky...as for the cold fingers/screen problem well you can use a hotdog to navigate

Yes the number of apps is low, but tell me how many apps did people buy for their nokias, sonys, iphones, droids? Everybody moans but nobody says how many actual apps they bought and what kind of apps were there that the Pre hasnt got? I think in terms of games you will start seeing a lot more comming out in the next month or two. The EA games work fine. I have taken calls in the past and flawlesly continued from where I left from. I think multitasking is great. I often send emails while on a phonecall and even browse the web.

Mail, web, twitter apps work fine. I think the FB one still needs some work, but I dont use FB so I can't comment further on that. Also gmail integration is better on the droid but I am happy with what my pre gives me.

The pre has no skype app. But hey you can get a skype to go number so you can call a local number (no problem since it comes out of your free minutes) to you and call whole of the world for free. Yes it has a subscription but it has been working ok for me since all calls to landlines are free. I would bet you that we will see a Skype app very soon (well as soon as the mic API is out).

Isn't the new Droid only available in the US anyway? A colleague of mine got it from Amazon coupleof weeks ago. I hate the menus and the billion sub menus to do something simple. As for the iphone.

I stopped using Nokias and Sony's cause they were slow and unreliable. Symbian didn't cut it for me no more. Remember you buy a phone to be a phone first then everything else. If you want a camera buy a camera etc...

The open source community on the Pre is simply AWESOME !!! Also Palm's policy to leave it open is awesome too. No other phone is so highly customisable without voiding warranties.

I would say go have a play with one if you can and decide for yourself. Also check the round robin articles on this site. I think they are fair regarding each phone's capabilities.

I hope this helps...
    Vas
    When you say the battery lasts 10h you mean stand-by?
    There's no IM support? There's no app that does msn?
    You hiphone comparison really scared me... I really hate these Chinese rip-offs :/
    No MSN support officialy. Not at the moment anyway...
    This is one of the minuses. However there is googletalk, yim etc..
    The rumour has it that they are working on it....

There are some 3rd party apps you can use but I dont like them...so I dont use it...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    the smartphone round robin articles are good. However, these fan made pre videos really show off real life use of the pre. Both some good and some bad.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ebos-here.html
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I can tell you flat out, not only are the games as good as on the iphone, playing them on webos makes the experience waaay better. if you receive a text during the game, it shows up in the bottom of the screen, but allows you to keep playing. additionally, you can minimize the card (it automatically pauses) do another task like call text or surf web, then you can come back to the game and start right back where you left off.
    I love the phone, had it almost three month. No quality issue I can see. It is a phone people most of you way over think this stuff.

If I want to take a serious picture, I use my camera. If I want to play a game or serious email, I use my computer and or WII. Again it is just a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I can tell you flat out, not only are the games as good as on the iphone, playing them on webos makes the experience waaay better. if you receive a text during the game, it shows up in the bottom of the screen, but allows you to keep playing. additionally, you can minimize the card (it automatically pauses) do another task like call text or surf web, then you can come back to the game and start right back where you left off.
    yes and no. Yes you an do different things at the same time, BUT if yiu run need for speed and then try to surf the web, in minutes it will tell you close an app (lack of memory).

as Vas saud, try before you buy.....if you don't like if after you buy it, then what? If you get a faulty unit or a unit that develops a fault, then what?

and yes the pre has a higher than average failure rate, hence the 2 year warranty in the UK.

its your money at the end of the day, so spend wisely

skype is a web app, and that costs alot of money.....wht pay for a free service? ( well skype to skype calls at least).

the 10 hours is with light use, battery life thay is, even if you don't play with the phone you MUST charge every night, or the next day it will die before lunch or before you wake up.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Heres what I think you should do....I would wait to see what Palm announces as their next device. If you can wait til that comes out, I would do that. Seeing as you already have an iphone and you've waited almost a year since the Pre launched, you dont seem to be in a hurry.

Let Palm come out with their next device, then you will get a studier build, with (in my opinion) the best OS out there.

I am curious to see if Palm has made porting ALL iphone apps to webOS easy or if it is just games.

Some posts on here are disingenuous. The Pre is NOT similar to a chinese knockoff. I have used an iphone 3gs. The Pre does many things that the iphone 3gs cannot do. The only things the Pre cant do that the iphone can are because of the apps. (which is a valid point).
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    yes and no. Yes you an do different things at the same time, BUT if yiu run need for speed and then try to surf the web, in minutes it will tell you close an app (lack of memory).

as Vas saud, try before you buy.....if you don't like if after you buy it, then what? If you get a faulty unit or a unit that develops a fault, then what?

and yes the pre has a higher than average failure rate, hence the 2 year warranty in the UK.

its your money at the end of the day, so spend wisely

skype is a web app, and that costs alot of money.....wht pay for a free service? ( well skype to skype calls at least).

the 10 hours is with light use, battery life thay is, even if you don't play with the phone you MUST charge every night, or the next day it will die before lunch or before you wake up.
    Not true. I can run need for speed and do mulitple other things as much as I want. and I'm on the original Pre on Sprint.

It is my understand that all smartphones need to be charged more often than other phones. is that not true?
    As far as MSN goes. It's not possible officially, but there's a patch for that, and it works great!
    I'd suggest finding someone who has one and watch them navigate. It may or may not fit your eye. I love mine, the app issue is kind of a non-issue with me. I'm not experienced with the iphone (hated at&t when I was with them) or the hyped Droid, but I've come to understand that most of the apps are junk anyways. I've downloaded Preware and the apps, including Homebrew has easy doubled the app count and the ability to use patches to personalize my phone is awesome. Plus the Themes are WAY cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    I'd suggest finding someone who has one and watch them navigate. It may or may not fit your eye. I love mine, the app issue is kind of a non-issue with me. I'm not experienced with the iphone (hated at&t when I was with them) or the hyped Droid, but I've comeunderstand that most of the apps are junk anyways. I've downloaded Preware and the apps, including Homebrew has easy doubled the app count and the ability to use patches to personalize my phone is awesome.

Plus the Themes are WAY

cool.
    as a side note, the keyboard is great. Slightly small but you get used to it. The addition of the video is sweet, only downfall is the vids are of such high quality its tough to text them but you have the option to email or upload to Facebook and youtube. I typed all of this on my pre. Only wishes I have: predictive text would be great...wouldnt you rather type "pred" and choose vs typing predictive? Spell correct too.
    From what I understand, the games are exactly the same (quality) on the iphone and pre. But as someone else mentioned, you get the added benefit of multi-tasking without closing the game. I can't tell you how many times I've minimized the game card to perform other tasks, and to return right where I left off.

Some games use more resources than others, so running a resource hog like NFS and trying to open another resource hog like the browser will obviously slow things down or give you the too many cards error. Not sure why users can't understand this. The amount of RAM on the device is limited, but the multi-tasking is otherwise great, you try and push it past it's limit, of course you'd get errors.

I thorougly enjoy my Pre. People ***** and moan about not enough apps or the quality of apps, I say BS. Granted, we're lacking some app categories out there (namely voip clients), I think we have a lot of high quality apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    Not true. I can run need for speed and do mulitple other things as much as I want. and I'm on the original Pre on Sprint.

It is my understand that all smartphones need to be charged more often than other phones. is that not true?

i get the error when using NFS and browsing. i
    also i think its important to mention that the yanks (you) get more from your pre than the international lot.

we don't get pandora, navigation etc. Which for some is important, so to the OP you should also keep that in mind, as you will get even less as you'll be an unofficial gsm user.

also at relic, the pre doesn't have "live" cards,so the memory should be able to manage itself.....in theory at least.....which is why i find it annoying that i can't play a game and stop to do something else quickly (multitask)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast