Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Title says it all. I also wonder where Palm is going with the already overcrowded game market.

link
    Love the enthusiasm... btw, my crystal ball is broken, may I borrow yours?

--edit--

HOLY CRAP DUDE! That article is littered with bias, why is he choosing to compare to apple instead of other handheld gaming platforms like DS and PSP? They both have the same type of market system. Even the people in that comment section are finding this article to be very biased too.
    Last edited by groovdafied; 03/09/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Cool story, bro.
    how can that person predict it. it's like predicting the 2012 apocalypse. you have to be a loser to guess
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    maybe palm can talk people into thinking it's a telephone that does 'stuff' & market it that way? Nah... That wouldn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    maybe palm can talk people into thinking it's a telephone that does 'stuff' & market it that way? Nah... That wouldn't make sense.
    Stop it! Just stop! The logic is too much...
    I love these stories. Compare a three year old platform (older, if you count the development time) to a brand new-ish one, not even a year old yet. What he missed, apparently, is that it took Apple a year to come out with any app store at all, so while all that advertising that sold the phone as a portable entertainment machine was effective, there was nothing at all to put ON it. Early adopters got a phone with a music player. Palm at least had that part up and running from the get go, albeit smaller, but hey, it's there.

Try another comparison in two more years, guys. You'll see things quite a bit differently. Will Palm catch up? I don't know. Neither does the guy who wrote that article. Probably not, Apple has a head start. Android? Maybe, marketing only goes so far. I agree with Groovdefied up there, the comparison is flawed from the first sentence.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    • PDK is not for games only.
    • PDK is not mainly for porting **** from iphone.
    • Closing in on 2 million phones worldwide, taking a day or two to port your game over from the iphone will definitely be interesting for developers.
    • In-game purchasing is a big reason, yeah right..

I think the guy who wrote this doesn't understand what the PDK really is. It's not the iphone-game-port-tool he makes it out to be. He just wanted to hop on the Palm-bash bandwagon..
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Cool story, bro.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I posted this reply to his article debunking his 3 reasons with one answer.

Article is misinformed.

Gameloft has already stated most of their games are coming to webos. This is evidence by the fact that they have released 9 games since the original 4 they revealed at CES. That's 9 games in about 8 weeks proving that it only takes days to port games to webos. That is very cheap development time and I don't imagine Gameloft would continue porting games unless they are making money with Palm.

Twitter / Gameloft: @markifurung We're plannin ...
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-releases-webos-pdk-beta
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I posted this reply to his article debunking his 3 reasons with one answer.

Article is misinformed.

Gameloft has already stated most of their games are coming to webos. This is evidence by the fact that they have released 9 games since the original 4 they revealed at CES. That's 9 games in about 8 weeks proving that it only takes days to port games to webos. That is very cheap development time and I don't imagine Gameloft would continue porting games unless they are making money with Palm.

Twitter / Gameloft: @markifurung We're plannin ...
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-releases-webos-pdk-beta
    I just read that too, brownie points! ^_^
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I just read that too, brownie points! ^_^
    Nice site btw. I just added your rss feed. Hope you can keep the contents coming.
    The dude that wrote that, Dan Frommer, is usually on Attack of the Show on G4 during their "loop" segment. Didn't know he was so anti Palm!
    Horrible reasoning, but I do agree that porting over iPhone apps isn't going to "save" Palm. The people who those apps matter most to have already jumped to Apple's platform and ecosystem. They're not leaving in any significant numbers to use a slower phone with a smaller screen and shoddier hardware just because it multitasks streaming music apps and has unobtrusive notifications.
    ...I don't imagine Gameloft would continue porting games unless they are making money with Palm.
    I can't find my math right now, but a couple days ago I calculated* that Gameloft has already made some 377 thousand dollars from their apps so far. That number takes into accout Palm's 30% share of the sales as well as the $50 p/app fees they paid on their 18 apps. Now, if Palm has waived those fees for Gameloft's early support (as is likely), that number is closer to $500 K.

* I simply multiplied current app price by number of downloads, as revealed by the patch. The real calculation is certainly not that simple, but I'd be surprised if it was not even in the ball park.
    Nice site btw. I just added your rss feed. Hope you can keep the contents coming.
    Thanks! I'm workin hard, the videos is what take a lil more time (sometimes)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Horrible reasoning, but I do agree that porting over iPhone apps isn't going to "save" Palm. The people who those apps matter most to have already jumped to Apple's platform and ecosystem. They're not leaving in any significant numbers to use a slower phone with a smaller screen and shoddier hardware just because it multitasks streaming music apps and has unobtrusive notifications.
    palm isn't relying on apple users to jump ship in order to stay afloat.

I'm beginning to dislike calling them "iphones apps". These developers write their code in a fairly common language, and if they choose, have every right to release their apps on any platform that supports them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The dude that wrote that, Dan Frommer, is usually on Attack of the Show on G4 during their "loop" segment. Didn't know he was so anti Palm!
    I've read his articles before, he's pretty much anti-anything that isn't the coolest gadget. As soon as it falls from favor, or doesn't live up to HIS expectations, it gets trashed. If I remember right, he gave the iPhone a huge thumbs down for not providing third party apps right out of the box. Change of tune now.