Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, this might be a little harsh, but I have to ask.

Read about MyTether a bit, seems to be what I want, but I do have a few concerns.

1. It's apparently a paid program, but the button says "donate". That's not really confidence inspiring.

2. On the part of the forum you can access as a perspective buyer, there's quite a few complaints about paying for the program, but never getting it, no response to emails to the developer, some up to two weeks. I didn't troll the entire thing, but again, not really awe-inspiring work there.

3. There's no info as to whether it works with 1.4, and you can't access the part of the forum that would tell you of potential problems until you already paid. Um, what? Feedback here? Am I just being too picky?

4. Apparently, from what I read, the Paypal account address he uses doesn't tie to the forum address he uses to verify you're a valid buyer......uh.....Newegg doesn't require me to sign up for yet another website to verify I'm who my credit card says I am. I get the product shipped to the address I provide with my payment, automatically.

That's really all...........what's the concesus here. Who's bought the app, and who has gotten the download link within a reasonable time? Five minutes or so.

Given all that, I'm hesitant to buy anyway, but if I get some good feedback that yes, it indeed works well, but you may have to blah blah blah.....fine, I can follow instructions, but I do like to know of potential problems ahead of time.

What are some other good alternatives that work after the latest update? I'm not too choosy, I don't really need fancy screens and all, I just need something reliable. Point me out a few.

Again, sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I'm getting a whole lot of red flags here. If this is an honest, just poorly set up product site, by all means, let me know.
    I use mytether on 1.4 and it's awesome. Well worth the "Donation". The second that you make the donation you will have instant access to the donor forums and the download.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ive paid the donation- Works perfectly, exactly as advertised.
    When 1.4 came out the upgrade was up quickly.
    It actually works better on 1.4 than 1.3.5, I love it.
    I must also add that this program is great! I don't see any way I could get another phone without this type of capability. MyTether is so well worth the donation. I use it to connect my Ipod Touch or Laptop or both. Its perfect in airports that charge for their wifi or for me when I visit relatives that dont have the internet or hotels that charge for their wifi...or wherever... But long story short...MyTether is priceless. I'm glad I got in with the donation was cheaper....
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I too have donated and found that it works better and faster on 1.4 Any questions I have had have always been answered on the donor forum.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    it's a great program and the support from the community on the forum is fantastic. i've been using mytether for a week and it is much faster than any of the other tethering programs or features no matter the cost i have used. just make sure you follow the directions for download and installation and you will have no issues.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    i finally gave in and donated to mytether and i have to say that it works really well. I have a sprint pre with 1.4. i got my link for the download in like 5 minutes and about another 30 reading around the private forum on how to install it. the installation is really simple but the first set of instructions were really bad but after browsing the forums it was easy to figure everything out. I could have gone the MHS route but to lazy to do all the installing and removing stuff. I really don't know if it will be broken in the future but it works perfect right meow.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    You're over-thinking this. It's $15, and it's awesome.
    The program is worth the $15. Ive never had any problems with it. It sort of pays for itself in one hour-long wait at the airport.
  11.    #11  
    I probably am, but $15 isn't something I have to throw away. Just asking for feedback, is all. What he's got up now isn't the greatest marketing in the world.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Cant say I"m as thrilled. I insalled it and my pre overheated to the point it fried the battery. The forum was of no help and I wont try it again. Wasted the $ for me. I'd like to find something else, even if I have to pay more for it - suggestions?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    I probably am, but $15 isn't something I have to throw away. Just asking for feedback, is all
    Here's some more feedback: if you have to think twice about spending the price of a medium pizza on an app that gets you free wireless internet for your laptop anywhere you get a cell phone signal, you shouldn't have a phone like a Pre. It's like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the gas or insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Here's some more feedback: if you have to think twice about spending the price of a medium pizza on an app that gets you free wireless internet for your laptop anywhere you get a cell phone signal, you shouldn't have a phone like a Pre. It's like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the gas or insurance.
    Your acting like the Pre is this exclusive insanely expensive phone. With a 2 year contract at times it was retailing for $50-100. That by no means is expensive for a phone. It's humorous you are comparing the Pre to a Ferrari. I love this phone, but I would not call it the Ferrari of the cell phone world.
    It's like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the gas or insurance.
    No, it's like buying a Ferrari and then stealing the gas you need to run it because that's basically what the app is doing to Sprint.
  17.    #17  
    Settle down, junior. I'm not saying I don't have the money to spend on it, I'm asking for feedback since the site the developer runs is questionable. If I get good feedback (which I have so far, except for yours, of course) I'll buy the app, no problem.

Ferrari.......yeah, that's a great example there, bud. If you want to push that, I happen to own a $45k car, and yes, I did my homework on the dealership, since they had a somewhat shady reputation around here. Had I gotten negative feedback from people who had bought from them, I would have found another place to buy. I guess that means I don't deserve to drive that car, huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    No, it's like buying a Ferrari and then stealing the gas you need to run it because that's basically what the app is doing to Sprint.
    Heres my thoughts,
    I pay for the unlimited data plan and use the majority of that via tethering. Still staying under the average 5 gb mth. and havent gone over in the 3 mths Ive had it via tethering.

I use the phone web browsers, maybe 1-2 times a week ( if even that ) to look up a number, address or some thing quick like that. I dont stream music, youtube, facebook, check emails, etc. etc. the usual things I see people doing with their pre's / smart phones.

Im not hogging up the data using the phone and tethering. I figure since I am using it via tethering, I would try to limit my usage on the phone itself. Im just getting what I pay for, just not in the way the carrier says they prefer me too. In other words, I am not taking advantage of it........

Plus, the main reason tethering isnt really allowed, is the carriers want to lock you in to a 2 yr contract for the mobile broadband cards at an additional $70 per mth. Ive used them and they really arent that great, I actually have better results with my pre.
    The developer has a penchant for disappearing, and at times I've been very very frustrated by the lack of knowledgable people on the donor forum (for instance, nobody there really knew how to actually remove the program completely). Having said that, the new version works very well and easily makes it worth the money. And he is pretty quick to update when needed. It's the rest of the time he's a noshow.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I probably am, but $15 isn't something I have to throw away. Just asking for feedback, is all. What he's got up now isn't the greatest marketing in the world.
    Settle down, junior. I'm not saying I don't have the money to spend on it, I'm asking for feedback since the site the developer runs is questionable. If I get good feedback (which I have so far, except for yours, of course) I'll buy the app, no problem.

Ferrari.......yeah, that's a great example there, bud. If you want to push that, I happen to own a $45k car, and yes, I did my homework on the dealership, since they had a somewhat shady reputation around here. Had I gotten negative feedback from people who had bought from them, I would have found another place to buy. I guess that means I don't deserve to drive that car, huh.
    Your now bragging about about owning a $45K car but are so worried about a $15 app?????

Whats a tank of gas cost for your $45k car cost?

"$15 isn't something I have to throw away", yes, sell your car

**there will always positive and negative reviews especially when dealing with this type of technology , your choice which to listen too.
    Last edited by sjjones; 03/10/2010 at 08:28 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast