1.    #1  
    I bought my wife a Pre Plus. She loves it. I've been a Treo user for years, most recently with a Treo 755p. I use quite a few apps on my Treo, which I consider very important, including SuperNames (an enhanced contact app), PdaNet (for free tethering), Mobile Sling Player, Pocket Quicken, Yaps (for storing passwords), and Memos. I really don't feel that I can get along without most of these. I realize that Classic allows Pre users to emulate their Treo. But I don't believe that Classic would help with SuperNames (because it wouldn't integrate with the contacts on the Pre), Sling, or PdaNet. I am feeling stuck. My conclusion is that I will need to stay with my Treo. Any thoughts?
    do whatever you prefer but for most people it was worth it
    NO!!!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I went from Centro to Pre. Taken as a whole, it was the best cell phone move I've ever made.

Wife got one as well, and loves it.

And you know how good life can be when the wife is happy.
    Maybe you should try stuff on your wife's Pre over a period of time and get more used to it. You might like the contacts on webOS better; free tethering is available on the Pre (with Sprint); Classic Note is probably at least as good as Memo Pad; I use Keyring for storing passwords but there are a number of other webOS apps that do that.

I find I am using Classic less and less these days. The easy scrolling and smooth interface of webOS seems far superior to the classic Palm apps. (I'm a former 755p user also, BTW).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    Wife got one as well, and loves it.

And you know how good life can be when the wife is happy.
    Heh-heh, that's funny.

I was hoping my wife would get a Pixi, but she went with a BlackBerry Curve instead - they just came out in pink!! I bet if the Pixi were available in pink already she would have gone for it.

Anyway, she seems satisfied with her BlackBerry, so I'm happy for her.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Typically I don't join the "do a search" crowd, but Treo-to-Pre move seems to be the most common update here. There are probably enough threads about that path that it almost justifies it's own board. If you search this board only for 'Treo' you'll probably get enough hits to keep you reading for hours.
    Happy reading. Good chanc you'll be posting from a PRE soon if you do that search and see the results
    I kinda had a break in there, I went from a PalmOS 650 to a WinMo 800w, so I was kinda prepared to make another switch this year. Just to compare, I fired up my 650 (have it set up just for my mom to read ebooks on if she can't sleep, listen to audio books, that sortof thing. No phone or web service), and after using the Pre for six, seven weeks, I can't quite figure how I lived with Garnet so long. Yeah, there's a few apps I miss, but what's in the Pre already is much much better.

Not that it's perfect, it isn't. There's a few things missing, if you need Quicken, can't do without, then yeah, you might want Classic for that. I did install WebOSQI and Preware, got a dozen or so patches installed, mainly just little graphical stuff, like battery percentage, date to the left of time, music player (remix), a few others. Just stuff I thought would make the overall feel a bit nicer.

I think you'll be happy, it's a heck of a phone, Palm really did a great job overall.
    From a die hard Treo user:

What you will love: WebOS, Touchscreen, Screen Resolution, Form factor & feel, Multitasking, WiFi, HomeBrew,
    GPS,

What you will hate: No real full sync / backup, No local PC desktop interface, No categories in contacts, memos etc., Build Quality (Oreo), Battery life,

Classic: Forget it - just not worth changing if you need all those old apps.

Overall: I love my Pre. However, I do wish for 3rd party apps to be out soon, to bring back full sync. I use CompanionLink for desktop interface to Palm Desktop.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    What you may miss from the 755 when using the Pre everyday is responsiveness. The calendar has improved but still lags. For example, on my 755 I can open the calendar app and navigate to my schedule 4 weeks in the future in the same time it takes the Pre to simply open the calendar.

On the other hand, synergy, cards, multitasking, webos, cloud sync, wifi, beautiful screen, web browsing all blow the 755 away.

I too had a number of PalmOs apps that I thought I could not live without. I was wrong. Also, the homebrew and patch community, and the growing app store can fill a lot of gaps and its fun too.

DISCLAIMER

IF READING CRITICAL POSTS ABOUT PALM AND/OR WEBOS WHICH ARE, BY ANY MEASURE, LESS THAN LAUDATORY THUS CONSTITUTING AN OFFENSE TO THE READER AKIN TO AN INSULT TO HIS WIFE OR MOTHER, PLEASE PUT EEKINSMAN ON IGNORE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OR LEGAL THEORY SHALL EEKINSMAN, HIS FAMILY, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSEES, OR ASSIGNS, EITHER JOINTLY OR SEVERALY, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR OTHER LOSS OF ANY KIND, RELATING TO YOUR FRAGILE, UNUSUAL, UNHEALTHY AND ODD PREDILECTION TO PROTECT PALM AND/OR WEBOS FROM NEGATIVE POSTS.

TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY PRECENTRAL, THE WORDS AND CONTENT OF THIS POST, INCLUDING THOSE IN THIS DISCLAIMER, ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE A RANT AGAINST PALM AND/OR WEBOS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSTER’S HATRED FOR PALM.

THE POSTER HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND DISAVOWS AND DOES NOT ENDORSE OR SPONSOR OR AGREE WITH SENSELESS THREADS AND POSTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, “‘I’M LEAVING FOR THE DROID’ ‘PALM SUCKS’ APPLE RULES’ THE PRE IS THE WORST PHONE EVER’ AND ALL OTHER OF SIMILAR ILK WHICH BY THEIR NATURE TREAT THE PALM PRE AS ANYTHING BUT PRECIOUS.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    if you use your 755 as a workhorse - you will really miss it when you swap to the pre. This phone is all about connectivity - that phone is all about making work portable. I miss the ability to manipulate docs, spreads & pdf's. I miss the quickness of the 755.

that being said - I don't think I could readjust to not having my pre within arms reach. I just plain does too much.

AND that being said - typically you will find me with both phones close by at any given time. My 755 is not active but it still talks to my desktop & is one of the best & smallest notebooks around.