Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I want to take my phone in to get serviced and I remembered a thread where someone took their pre to the sprint store and they gave them a hard time because of the fact that they had preware on their phone and they refused to cover it under warranty.

I was thinking of removing preware before taking it in. If I do that will I lose all of my patches and have to reinstall them? Or can I just reinstall preware and have my patches already installed?
    I'm pretty sure your patches will remain, even if Preware is removed.
    He's right, you can delete the application Preware and leave all your apps and patches in tact. Just reinstall Preware when you get back home.
    The only caveat would be, if you ran into a real jerk of a repair tech, if they saw patches (like the battery percent) they would be just as likely to deny you if they saw Preware.

In fact the patches themselves could be more noticeable than the Preware app.

If you really want to be safe, you would have to doctor it. But, if it were me, I would take it in as is and if they complain, take it home and doctor it and bring it back in. Even if they did put some kind of annontation on your account you could always pull the Sergeant Schulz ploy "I know nothing....NOTHING!". They couldn't prove you had Preware on your phone.

What kind of service are you taking it in for?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Yeah, I was going to erase the more ovious patches like the percent for battery and larger fonts. I was just worried with the new AUPT in preware that it would cause a problem if I took off preware and then put it back on.

I was surprised to read that they would give you a hard time for patching your phones, but I've been with Sprint long enough to realize that they try to do whatever they can to blame your problem on something that you've done rather than on the phone. I remember when I had a Motorola Startac I took it in for servicing and it was raining outside, it got like 2 drops of rain on it and the girl at the counter said it wasn't working because it had gotten wet. I know things have changed with Sprint but I have always remembered that.

I was going to take it in because a couple of the letters on the keyboard are sticking.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I'm pretty sure your patches will remain, even if Preware is removed.
    i removed Preware and the patches remained. True.. but then i reinstalled preware but now it says i have 0 patches installed when i really have like 40 of them..

How can i uninstall a patch now?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    i removed Preware and the patches remained. True.. but then i reinstalled preware but now it says i have 0 patches installed when i really have like 40 of them..

This is exactly what I was afraid of
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post

Oh boy. A while back I did read about some program that inspects webOS and compares the hash check of your webOS against a hash check of the stock webOS. If it detects a difference in yours compared to the stock, it will overwrite yours with the stock code. Man, I can't remember what that was. I'll go looking around, but hopefully someone knows what I am referring to...
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Oh boy. A while back I did read about some program that inspects webOS and compares the hash check of your webOS against a hash check of the stock webOS. If it detects a difference in yours compared to the stock, it will overwrite yours with the stock code. Man, I can't remember what that was. I'll go looking around, but hopefully someone knows what I am referring to...
    If i run EPR with the current Preware, will the patches get removed even thought Preware says 0 ?
    I'm really not sure. Sorry! I have never run EPR myself.

Here's what I was trying to think of earlier: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html

But it looks like it hasn't been updated to work with webOS 1.4.